Page 2 of 4

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 am
by Paqo
Do you think it is possible to reprogram the headlights? I would like to have them (only them) ON when switching car ON...
is this possible with sending the right message to CAN ?

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 pm
by kevinleaf
Could there perhaps be something on the EV bus or another bus? Something is listening for the key press from the key fob to open the doors, and it is probably on the CAN bus somewhere.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm
by kevinleaf
Update on this:
During the Leaf / EV Hackathon we investigated this a bit more. There is a company out there http://www.getlocalmotion.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that has a device that will remotely enable a LEAF (and other cars) to unlock and start but it hooks to more than the OBD-II port. They somehow tap into the immobilizer and probably the lock wires. Seems with OBD-II alone it won't be doable.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:50 am
by garygid
kevinleaf wrote:... to unlock and start but it hooks to more than the OBD-II port. They somehow tap into the immobilizer and probably the lock wires. Seems with OBD-II alone it won't be doable.
Thank goodness and Nissan for at least a slightly secure locking system.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:59 am
by Goodtohave
I do remote starters for a few Nissan dealers and work with 2 of the companies here in Montreal that make the canbus bypass units. Needless to say I have not put one in my Leaf but on other nissan models some (normal key) cars you can cntrol lock unlock through can but not arm disarm. On early intellikey cars (with the ignition switch) can does locks and alarm control.

On the newer PTS cars can does lock amd arm but not disarm. We need to use transponder and ignition to disarm.


Short version is unlock by can without disarm is useless.

But like I said I have not done anything on my Leaf.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 am
by Goodtohave
kevinleaf wrote:Update on this:
During the Leaf / EV Hackathon we investigated this a bit more. There is a company out there http://www.getlocalmotion.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that has a device that will remotely enable a LEAF (and other cars) to unlock and start but it hooks to more than the OBD-II port. They somehow tap into the immobilizer and probably the lock wires. Seems with OBD-II alone it won't be doable.

For The new nissan PTS cars when we do remote start we control almost everything with canbus and 2 wires at the PTS switch.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 pm
by kevinleaf
Short version is unlock by can without disarm is useless.
Not necessarily: I am willing to lock my car without arming if this is possible, so I can also unlock without disarming. In cases where I am actively charging I'd just lock my car in this remote way without setting the alarm. If possible...

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm
by Turbo3
I have a test app I put together a few weeks ago that locks and unlocks the doors through the CAN bus.

However, as has been stated above the CAN door lock function also enables the alarm. But the CAN unlock function only unlocks the doors and leaves the alarm active. So when I open the door the alarm goes off.

Another short coming is that the CAR-CAN must be active before the lock/unlock CAN messages are sent for the messages to be seen. There is a short window after the Leaf is turned off and when you plug the charge cord in when the CAN is active. So in most cases the Leaf is not in a position to even hear the command.

Having wires go to the PTS (Push to Start) button would allow you to wake up the CAN. Not sure if that disables the alarm too.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:38 am
by kevinleaf
Interesting. So pushing the PTS button wakes up the CAN bus even if no keys are in the car? This would be interesting to experiment with.

Re: Unlocking doors with CAN?

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:27 pm
by Turbo3
kevinleaf wrote:Interesting. So pushing the PTS button wakes up the CAN bus even if no keys are in the car? This would be interesting to experiment with.
Yes, one PTS push wakes up the CAR-CAN for a little over 40 seconds.

Actually, just pressing the outside door lock/unlock button also wakes up the CAR-CAN too for a short period.