Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am

QueenBee wrote:Things are working well. Very excited.

Are you automatically getting crash reports? I don't haven't anything I can reproduce but definitely have had it crash, where the app closes without my requesting it.
Unfortunately TestFlight does not support crash reports which makes it very challenging to fix them. Also since this version uses WiFi adapters I can not use the normal debug feature of the compiler even when I can recreate as the debugger connects through WiFi.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 am

epirali wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:I think I have a fix for the app closing problem.

After some additional testing tomorrow I will try to release a new test version.
FWIW I ran into the same issue and the solution was to turn off wifi (do not allow connection), launch the app, then enable the wifi. This started with the app falling into the "stuck" state, where it was connected but no longer updating the values. That lead to the "crash on launch," which was resolved by the trick above. But still no update. I then tried setting the "current as ODB" again in settings and that restarted things.

Additionally I have noticed data glitches, if I am running the battery plot there are updates where the data is "garbled" or seems to be an amalgam of two frames of updates.
If you are driving while looking at the battery cell voltages it is normal to see what looks like two different sets of battery measurements with one group being higher/lower than the following group.

The Leaf reads the battery voltages through a serial link which results in there being a large delay between the first set of measurements and the last set of measurements. During this time if the load changes the voltages can be very different between the first and last measurements. The serial link in the BMS runs at 19,200 baud and it takes about a second to loop through all 96 cell pairs.

BooKittyLeaf
Delivery Date: 22 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 000000

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:19 pm

Been using LeafSpy for just over a week now.

Runs great.

I did experience a situation where I would open it & it would come up, then quit after 1 sec or less. Opening it again would be ok. did this for a few days. After updating to 1.0.5 haven't seen that issue since.

BATTERY SOH reading Question:
LeafSpy reads SOH at @ 6% higher than Leaf Stat. HX, SOC, Gids, Ahr, Kwh are all the same.
Seems like most people are getting SOC & Hx at a fairly close values (+/- 1% or so) Leaf Stat SOC & Hx are very close, while LeafSpy shows a 4% spread where SOH is higher than Hx
Which would be correct?
How does LeafSpy " calculate" SOH value and is it "True"
2015 SV, LED & QC, Black / Black. Mfg Date 08,22,14

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:39 am

BooKittyLeaf wrote:Been using LeafSpy for just over a week now.

Runs great.

I did experience a situation where I would open it & it would come up, then quit after 1 sec or less. Opening it again would be ok. did this for a few days. After updating to 1.0.5 haven't seen that issue since.

LeafSpy reads SOH at @ 6% higher than Leaf Stat. HX, SOC, Gids, Ahr, Kwh are all the same.
Seems like most people are getting SOC & Hx at a fairly close values (+/- 1% or so) Leaf Stat SOC & Hx are very close, while LeafSpy shows a 4% spread where SOH is higher than Hx
Which would be correct?
If you are using a PLX KiWi WiFi adapter that would explain why it shutdown after a second. Version 1.0.5 has a fix to work with this non standard adapter.

SOH is State of Health in LeafSpy and is read directly from the Leaf it is not calculated. Hx is also read directly from the Leaf. These values are the same as in the Android version and have been the same for over a year.

SOH in LeafStat is... well not really sure what it is. If you check the Jul 1, 2014 What's New for the app you will see SOH has been renamed to HX and there is a comment that "capacity noted as SOH". Don't know what to make of that.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 am

Turbo3 wrote:
BooKittyLeaf wrote:Been using LeafSpy for just over a week now.

Runs great.

Which would be correct?
If you are using a PLX KiWi WiFi adapter that would explain why it shutdown after a second. Version 1.0.5 has a fix to work with this non standard adapter.

SOH is State of Health in LeafSpy and is read directly from the Leaf it is not calculated. Hx is also read directly from the Leaf. These values are the same as in the Android version and have been the same for over a year.

SOH in LeafStat is... well not really sure what it is. If you check the Jul 1, 2014 What's New for the app you will see SOH has been renamed to HX and there is a comment that "capacity noted as SOH". Don't know what to make of that.
Make sure you are running the latest version. I just compared and everything is the same except SOH is two decimals vs LEAFSpy which has no decimal. Does the car provide decimals to SOH?

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 am

QueenBee wrote: Make sure you are running the latest version. I just compared and everything is the same except SOH is two decimals vs LEAFSpy which has no decimal. Does the car provide decimals to SOH?
The value I read from the Leaf for SOH has only 7 bits so no decimal point.

Is there a higher precision SOH available?

BooKittyLeaf

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:06 am

OBD2 I am using is
"2013 Super mini WiFi for iPhone OBD-II OBD Can Code reader" -

Regarding the SOH difference -I have Leaf Stat v1.2 and LeafSpy vs 1.0.5 both are current v's
Turbo3 wrote:SOH is State of Health in LeafSpy and is read directly from the Leaf it is not calculated. Hx is also read directly from the Leaf. These values are the same as in the Android version and have been the same for over a year.

Your right - I just read through the Whats New in Leaf Stat again - I didn't catch that before - that is wierd
I think I would accept LeafSpy SOH accuracy over what Leaf Stat reports- which gives me a better SOH - so all is good there!

Another Question:
regarding the estimated miles - in order to "match up" with the Leaf Dash Display, I have to crank up the Mile/Kwh 5.5. I have it set to 4.3 Miles/Kwh as thats what I average in the car. I guess I need a little more understanding how this part works.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 am

BooKittyLeaf wrote: Another Question:
regarding the estimated miles - in order to "match up" with the Leaf Dash Display, I have to crank up the Mile/Kwh 5.5. I have it set to 4.3 Miles/Kwh as thats what I average in the car. I guess I need a little more understanding how this part works.
You have three choices for the estimated miles to go until xxx. Where xxx is LBW, VLBW or a previously selected reserve in Settings.

The Dash Display would be similar to VLBW. Which one did you have selected when you had to adjust to 5.5?

BooKittyLeaf

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 am

Trbo3 wrote:You have three choices for the estimated miles to go until xxx. Where xxx is LBW, VLBW or a previously selected reserve in Settings.

The Dash Display would be similar to VLBW. Which one did you have selected when you had to adjust to 5.5?
OK - I saw the RANGE settings % SOC & KWH Reserved. Wasn't sure what they were.
Setting I currently have is % SOC set at 5. I will change it to KWH Reserved - VLBW (2)

ALSO, just downloaded 1.0.8 and when I opened it the Location Services prompt DID pop up for GPS - now its set - Cool!

epirali
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 418541

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Want to confirm that in latest rev the GPS now works properly, and I have not seen any issues so far. Will keep checking but looks good, ready for release!

Return to “LEAF CANBus”