Has anybody worked with EVDataUtility?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djlins

Hi there,

I am an old time coder but new to the Nissan LEAF and big wide world of OBD. I know the forum rules and have spent days reading up in here on OVMS and the genius workings of garygid and Turbo3 and the others (get a quick bit of flattery in before my questions heheh)

So I want to bluetooth out the SOC to my Android phone on a regular poll. I thought that would be a good place to start with a nice little pet project of mine. I thought I had struck gold when I came across the following project done a few years ago which seemed to just do exactly what I want right away:
http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1087&context=cpesp

I grabbed the code and installed it and I have a Nexus 7 which is the target phone to use. I then paired to an ELM327 v1.5 and started it up. I was hoping for an immediate response of everything working and data flooding in and being displayed on the screen. Instead the code hangs at a while loop after it connects successfully and it asks for data received which never goes above zero bytes. To double check the device and pairings and LEAF (2014 model) I installed LEAFSpy lite and it works fine on the same bluetooth pairing with the same hardware.

I guess my question is: Am I flogging a dead horse trying to get that code working? Has the Nissan LEAF configuration changed from the 2013 to the 2014 models? I essentially need to get the SOC out to a phone so I can send it straight out to a webservice and record it.

By the way I know my first post seems to be just a "HELP MEEE" post but I do hope I can become an active member on this forum as my project progresses so I can pay people back with advice of my own further down the line.

Cheers all for reading this far,

Lindsay.

Hi Turbo,

That would explain it. I have seen in the PDF they have a board on the driving seat but I was wondering if that was needed for the final comms or was for something else. This shows my inexperience with this particular setup.

The source code can be found from git here:
https://github.com/philiptyler/obd-ev-data-android-

Thanks for your reply Turbo, I think you are the guru around here from what I can see in previous posts for this forum. I love your LeafSPY apps. Very professionally written and easy to use.

Back