Battery heater

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldemo

Does anyone know how to turn on the battery heater via CAN messages ? I would like to use it to heat up the battery since the winter is coming and the range will be limited as well as fast charging on the older 24kWh model.

The heater work with temp sensors.
When the temps are going to -20 celcius the BMS tell the VCM to activate the pack relay then the relay for heating have power on his contact to supply the heating pads.

VCM and the BMS work together on this.

I replaced my 2011 battery pack with a 2014 one who have the heater and I studied how it work.

Best is to buy heat pads for oil pan for gaz car.
You stick four pads of 100Watts or 6 of 50 watts and there is a 120vac automatic switch for this.
Just plug all together and plug in a 120 vac.

I remember one man done this and it work very well

Yes, but the diagnostic system supports active test for the battery heater, that means there is a way to turn it on via CAN.

cooldemo said:
Yes, but the diagnostic system supports active test for the battery heater, that means there is a way to turn it on via CAN.

I know this is an old thread, but @cooldemo, do you have if there's an app or tool one can use to activate the heater?

LeftieBiker said:
The battery heater uses a grand total of 300 watts. That isn't enough to warm the pack even one temperature bar, I'd guess.

But 300w overnight, let's say 10PM to 6AM, is 2.4kwh, plenty of heat, although my bill won't like it, it's cheaper than buying a new LEAF. ;)

As far as I can tell yes there is a diagnostic test that turns the heater on for a few seconds.
But as far as I can tell no one has came up with a way to turn on the internal heater.

In units of imperial it turns on around -4F to +4F, but it's off by +14F. That was the best anyone had been able to determine at the time of my searching on the subject winter of 2018-2019.

Someone on here added insulation and stick on heaters to their pack and were able to maintain temp 4 bars when it was -4F if I remember correctly.

Here it tis.
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15673

-6F and 4 temp bars, not. Not bad.

More discussion on this here:
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/issues/311

"Now when we are approaching the really cold months, it would be extremely beneficial for a Nissan Leaf to have more control for the battery heating. As you northern Leaf drivers might know, if the temperature of the battery drops below freezing, the Leaf will not fast-charge. What if we could control the heating of the battery like on a Tesla? This would be a game changer!

First of all, to see if your Leaf is equipped with DC heating elements inside the battery, there is a signal in the 0x5C0 frame that has 0/1 if pads are present or not. Frame4 bit0
71509168-08227180-2893-11ea-81d5-d6300553224d.png

In 0x5C0 frame 0 bit 5, there is a heating start send request and in bit4 there is a stop heating request.
71509253-694a4500-2893-11ea-829b-707f8770da70.png

The theory is that to start heating, you write bit5 to 1. BUT there is also a send request bit that might be necessary to write also. It's in frame 1 bit 0 (Batt_Heater_Mail_Send_Request)
71509378-c219dd80-2893-11ea-8e28-d32b7d654a85.png

Anyone got a Leaf equipped with heater pads? :) This message does not appear to have CRC or PRUN protection. Also this should only be possible on AZE0 Leaf!"

Not strictly leaf-related, but I clearly remember one -30 morning in Taos, many years ago, but it warmed up fast as soon as the sun came out!

When it does get to -10F or so in new Mexico it will usually at least warm up to double digits.
The last time we had negative double digits was in the 1990s according to a local life long farmer.

The 2012 pack heater is driven by a relay, Panasonic AEV 52012.

One of the HV lines is switched by the relay, the other line is a direct wire thru the connectors with a 10 Amp inline fuse rated 500V, here is the fuse datasheet

The module also holds a separate control board that receives the signals and sends the coil drive to the relay. This board is enclosed in a metal box which is soldered together top and bottom.

Back