ODB adapter with powersave for 2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzakharo

Hello,

Looking for a ODB adapter to leave plugged in that does not drain 12 V battery on my 2018 Leaf.

Have tried:

ODB-LX -> drained battery overnight. had to 'jump start' leaf to get car running.
Carista -> seemed to work fine for a a few days, then one day found 12 volt battery completely disabled -> had to use physical key to access vehicle and 'jump start' leaf to get it going. After unplugging the carista dongle,the issue did not repeat.

I have not yet tried KIWI 3 and LELINK^2 that state they support 'low power' features. Anyone has any experience with those?

Can anyone share any products that work on 2018 Leaf and allow ODB tool to be left plugged in? Is this even a thing? Can these dongles be safely left in the vehicle?

A WiFi dongle will drain things pretty fast. Bluetooth LE has less drain, but personally I wouldn't leave any dongle permanently on as I sometimes go days without driving the car. If I wanted to keep a dongle plugged-in, I'd get one with an on-off switch. For someone who drives daily, it probably doesn't matter. Trouble is, it's easy to forget. Then something comes up and it sits there draining the battery.

I have left my OBD dongle plugged in for weeks if not months without issue because frankly I forgot it was plugged in.

Here's the model I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have suspicion that my carista locked out my battery due to cold. I am afraid that LELINK may have the same issue. My car is parked on the drive way in southern Ontario, Canada. Anyone tried to leave these dongles in the car below freezing point while plugged in for long periods of time? Alternatively, does anyone know safe operating temperatures for any of these dongles?

Are you leaving a phone or tablet running Leaf Spy in the car when parked? The OBDII adapter should not interfere with the car's battery heating and/or charging as long as Leaf Spy is not requesting data. Obviously, I have no experience with operating LEAF in extreme cold weather, but I doubt that is your issue. I leave my Bluetooth adapter plugged in to the OBDII port all the time except when parking at the office or airport for extended time. I take the Android device into the house to charge at night so it is not running Leaf Spy while the car is parked overnight and/or charging.

I did return to the 12V battery in the 2011 completely dead after inadvertently leaving the adapter plugged in and the Android device running Leaf Spy sitting on the seat while parked for 6 days.

Back