svizpdm
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2020

Re: Stand alone OBC/PDModule EV system Can 2015

Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 pm

Clanarn wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:31 am
Hi! I have been trying to get my gen2 obc/pdm working using svizpdm method without any success yet. The dc/dc works by only supplying 12v+ to pin 16 and 18 on connector B24.

Ive followed the instructions and got the AC relay to close. The pwm on pin 18 on UCC2895 won't start from grounding the component seen in step 4. UCC2895 pin 20 shows 4.5v. Analog signal is supplied to the MCP4728 with a potentiometer. Is there something else that has to be connected or modified to make this work?
Hello, I apologize for the long answer was busy) To start, you need to unsolder pin 6 of the MCP4728 microcircuit and apply voltage to the PCB pin from 0 to 4 volts (current) Attention, take the ground from the MCP4728.
P.S.
There is a working version of control via the CAN bus) My friend Taras from Ukraine did it and uses it safely. I will ask him to share))) Good luck to everyone and large capacity in your batteries))))

Dala
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 am

I was thinking a lot about building my own controller for use in my electric vehicle conversion project using LEAF parts. But then I found the Resolve-EV controller. This allows you to use the motor/inverter/charger/DC-DC/BMS with one single replacement VCU, and keep minimal amount of wires. Link for anyone curios, I am not affiliated, I bought this product since the specs look so good :D https://www.resolve-ev.com/

49thdiver
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Jan 2020
Leaf Number: 305065

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:42 am

There is a working version of control via the CAN bus) My friend Taras from Ukraine did it and uses it safely. I will ask him to share))) Good luck to everyone and large capacity in your batteries))))
PLEASE !!
Peter
Dangerous if left unattended.
1985 Grumman Olsen Kubvan, 2002 Rav4 EV, 2000 Ford Ranger EV, 2015 Nissan leaf, Biktrix LJ

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:51 am

@Dala, does the resolve controller allow upping the current through the inverter for more power? Very curious to keep up with your conversion and if more performance can be squeezed out :)
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 46k, 94% SoH 2/18
62k, 87% SoH 2/19 75k, 83% SoH 2/20
81k, 81% SoH 2/21

49thdiver
Forum Supporter

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Dala wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 am
I was thinking a lot about building my own controller for use in my electric vehicle conversion project using LEAF parts. But then I found the Resolve-EV controller. This allows you to use the motor/inverter/charger/DC-DC/BMS with one single replacement VCU, and keep minimal amount of wires. Link for anyone curios, I am not affiliated, I bought this product since the specs look so good :D https://www.resolve-ev.com/
Wow, this looks very nice, too bad I spent 2 years trying to figure out some of this. I am waiting to hear from the developer if it will work stand alone with either batteries/LBC and/or the Charger stand alone.

Very cool device, from my work I can see lots of work went in to this, the documentation looks great and installation easy.

Thanks for sharing this.
I note and did not ask the vendor yet, it indicates 24KW battery packs, does it do larger packs 30Kw needed for sure. Also wonder about the matched motor,inverter ? Do you know what the conditions of that requirement are , I have assumed the motors are just 3 phase with no internal electronics, possibly resolver's and motor electrical characteristics. Hard to imagine that the Inverter is matched to a motor vs the inverter being smart enough to learn motor characteristics when it leaves the factory and as it ages.
Any thoughts ?
Peter
1985 Grumman Olsen Kubvan, 2002 Rav4 EV, 2000 Ford Ranger EV, 2015 Nissan leaf, Biktrix LJ

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 pm

The resolve project has been going for a long time, and I'm really surprised it's been finished as I've heard through the grapevine that there were some serious issues getting the charger and PDM to work (the rest was already figured out by Thunderstruck). By the way, Thunderstruck also has had a Leaf controller for a few years, but it required an external charger and dc/dc converter.

The inverter and motor are indeed unmatched, not even calibration data is loaded. There is an EEPROM in the inverter, but it's only for some inverter-specific offset/linearity calibration.

Also as a general warning to anybody trying to actually use the Resolve controller or any other third party controller in an EV conversion: some regulations will prohibit you from using this! At least in Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium (and probably more countries, but this is what I know for sure) you need to have a certified EMC test result with the drivetrain as-installed. This is a type of EMC testing that is quite hard to do and as a result relatively expensive. Moreover, not all countries allow recertification of used parts for a new install. It's all very stupid, I know, but this is why most current EV conversions are done with specially engineered sets like EVHypE which have all the required paperwork already done. It is much cheaper to buy a ready-made kit than to use a Leaf drivetrain and get it tested.

49thdiver
Forum Supporter

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:34 pm

Good information and Thanks. I am still plugging away on my project for now.
My Leaf BMS Simulator now appears to be working, I am just making sure may data is being displayed correctly.
Hope to move to testing on the leaf first then move it to the RAV4.
Still hoping to get the charger working once I know I am communicating with everything correctly.

All the best to you.
Peter
Peter

Dala
Forum Supporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:59 am

mux wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:27 pm
Also as a general warning to anybody trying to actually use the Resolve controller or any other third party controller in an EV conversion: some regulations will prohibit you from using this! At least in Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Belgium (and probably more countries, but this is what I know for sure) you need to have a certified EMC test result with the drivetrain as-installed. This is a type of EMC testing that is quite hard to do and as a result relatively expensive. Moreover, not all countries allow recertification of used parts for a new install. It's all very stupid, I know, but this is why most current EV conversions are done with specially engineered sets like EVHypE which have all the required paperwork already done. It is much cheaper to buy a ready-made kit than to use a Leaf drivetrain and get it tested.
They specifically removed the EMC test requirements for converting vehicles older than 2002 here in Finland, to boost the number of gasoline->EV conversions. These rules come into effect 03.2021, and are oh so needed for my EVNX project :) Finland is becoming the easiest place in EU to do EV conversions at this rate, only 6 requirements need to be fulfilled for a road-legal conversion.

Press release in Finnish: https://www.traficom.fi/fi/ajankohtaist ... uuttaminen

Dala
Forum Supporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:07 am

49thdiver wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm
I note and did not ask the vendor yet, it indicates 24KW battery packs, does it do larger packs 30Kw needed for sure. Also wonder about the matched motor,inverter ? Do you know what the conditions of that requirement are , I have assumed the motors are just 3 phase with no internal electronics, possibly resolver's and motor electrical characteristics. Hard to imagine that the Inverter is matched to a motor vs the inverter being smart enough to learn motor characteristics when it leaves the factory and as it ages.
Any thoughts ?
In theory it should be possible to use any 24/30/40/62kWh pack with it, as long as you put a CAN-bridge that converts the CAN data to 24kWh format. I plan on testing this later on, don't see why it wouldn't be possible!

49thdiver
Forum Supporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:02 am

Dala wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:59 am
Press release in Finnish: https://www.traficom.fi/fi/ajankohtaist ... uuttaminen
As beautiful as your language is I could not find the English version on traficom.fi

With thanks for the info however.
Peter

Return to “LEAF CANBus”