Battery Pairing - Testers wanted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
So I thought I would dump this valuable information freely https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-BatteryPairing

This should remove the P3102 code that manifests itself when you swap main batteries between Leafs. I do need some brave testers for this, so if you are doing a ZE0 24->24kWh, feel free to test this and report back :)

One person tried this! And wasn't succesful. Seems like we are missing some seed-key/rolling code in the demand messages. Maybe someone knows more about this here? https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-BatteryPairing/commit/783551076e410db4bf9893aadaada610240b5579#commitcomment-40628187

It works! I am happy to announce that we now have a open source way to perform battery pairing! :D :D :D

More info here: https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-Leaf-BatteryPairing

Full how-to video incoming soon

Simply amazing work Dala. I have a feeling many folks will find this essential information to complete a DIY battery swap!

Integrating into Leaf Spy Pro is icing on the cake :)

Battery ID can be obtained by sending requests:
79B 02 21 90 00 00 00 00 00
delay 10
79B 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

We almost have it! I've been helping Jim to test this out on all generations of the LEAF and env200, and we are so close to calling it done.

Sneak peak from the latest beta
h7Su6ei.png

So does that mean the other products out there that do this (non-Nissan I mean) are doing the same thing or do they figure out something different? :D

Great work BTW, look forward to a Leaf Spy Pro update to fix some nagging bugs with the Gen 2 Leaf :mrgreen:

Fantastic work Dala, your contribution and goodwill to the EV community will ensure you'll have a loyal customer base for years to come.

Dala said:
We almost have it! I've been helping Jim to test this out on all generations of the LEAF and env200, and we are so close to calling it done.

Sneak peak from the latest beta
h7Su6ei.png

Thanks for doing all this and sharing it with us!
I was trying to find the battery ID in Android LeafSpy, but the Beta does not appear to be available. I just updated to version 0.46.171 that was updated on Oct 3, 2021. When I go to Read ECU Versions it does not have the Battery ID next to the VIN. Has that been moved somewhere else or is there another app available now for pairing a battery?

scottwerks said:
I was trying to find the battery ID in Android LeafSpy, but the Beta does not appear to be available. I just updated to version 0.46.171 that was updated on Oct 3, 2021. When I go to Read ECU Versions it does not have the Battery ID next to the VIN. Has that been moved somewhere else or is there another app available now for pairing a battery?

Hi,
Pairing is available in the normal version of Leafspy Pro for android now. The option to pair only becomes visible if the fault code is active. Hope this helps, I've had maybe 20+ people try it out now :)

Dala said:
scottwerks said:

Hi,
Pairing is available in the normal version of Leafspy Pro for android now. The option to pair only becomes visible if the fault code is active. Hope this helps, I've had maybe 20+ people try it out now :)

Oh that's awesome, thank you!
I hope you're enjoying the new day-job, I'm sure the EV world will benefit greatly once again having you work with charging stations.

Hi,
[/quote]

Hi, Can you tell me what is the version of leaf spy pro that can pair swapped batteries ?

zaroure said:
Hi,

Hi, Can you tell me what is the version of leaf spy pro that can pair swapped batteries ?
[/quote]

The 0.46.172 version can pair swapped batteries

This is for swapping batteries of the same capacity right?

Does an upgrade to a larger capacity battery still require a CANBUS box?

Glad to hear that :)

I think this forum needs a sticked wiki that explains what is possible with Leafspy and what's not. Example something like this?

Battery swap vs Battery upgrade
A direct swap is replacing the same size battery with an identical one for the same version of your vehicle. A battery upgrade is installing a newer generation battery. Take a look at these 4 examples to learn the differences.

A 2011 ZE0 LEAF gets its 24kWh pack replaced by another 24kWh pack from a 2012 ZE0 LEAF. This is a direct swap.

A 2011 ZE0 LEAF gets its 24kWh pack replaced by a 24kWh pack from a 2015 AZE0 LEAF. This is a battery upgrade.

A 2013 AZE0 LEAF gets its 24kWh pack replaced by another 24kWh pack from a 2015 ZE0 LEAF. This is a direct swap.

A 2015 AZE0 LEAF gets its 24kWh pack replaced by a 40kWh pack from a 2018 ZE1 LEAF. This is a battery upgrade.

Now that we have swap/upgrade terms explained, let's tackle the easiest one first, the direct swap. After a direct swap has been performed, the only thing preventing you from driving the vehicle is a check EV warning light along with turtle mode. The fault code P3102 will be triggered. To clear this code and remove turtle mode, simply perform a clear with the latest Leafspy Pro version (0.46.172 for Android). That's it, enjoy the newfound range!

The battery upgrade maybe the procedure more commonly performed. This requires either one or two things.

If you are upgrading your 2011-2012 ZE0 LEAF, you will require a B24 22-36pin adapter. You will also need a CAN-bridge. Etc. more info goes here

Back