Finally I was able to get the LCD to work. Turned out the soldering job was inadequate rather than software problem. But I did have to compile & pickout 3 separate set of drivers to get the large fonts we need.
This is an LCD which is a clone of "Nokia 6610" LCD i.e. the color LCDs Nokia used in 6610 and other mobile phones. You can get them quite cheaply from various sources including SparkFun. I got it from e-bay (search for "Nokia 6100 / 6610 Color LCD (PCF8833) Module"). It lists for $23 shipped now. The one I bought has a breakout board that makes it easier to connect and also handles 5V supply. Don't buy the plain LCD.
My current software shows the SOC% and in brackets actual raw SOC.
It also shows for the current SOC, what the estimated range is - for different speeds - 40, 50, 60 & 70. This is based on the charts Tony has put up (though not the latest changes from today). The algorithm is same as the one I use in my Windows Phone 7 App.
The size of the letters I'm using is 8x18 pixels. It looks similar in size to the smaller letters you see in the center console (say in the energy usage screen). We can show about 8 lines of text - about 15 letters per line.
Except for the LCD the hardware is just like the kit Gary put together (except you don't need the 2 push buttons).
Nokia 6610 clones come in 2 or 3 flavors - mainly Philips or Epson controller based. The one I got was Philips - with some header & intialization changes, the same code will work for Epson.
To connect we need 6 lines. I got some "Single Row Rt Angle Pin Headers" from Frys and soldered them to the LCD.
From LCD to the AVR I just used pre-crimped male-to-male single wires. You can buy them from from various places including e-bay (search for "30 x Arduino 30cm jumper cables for Shield or EQUIV"). Very easy to use and just $5 for 30.
The LCD comes with mounting holes on the board - so it should be easy enough to cut out the needed portion (3.3 x 3.3 cm) and mount the LCD to the project box. I'm yet to do that - as you can see from the photos.
I can send the hex file if some wants to try this out. Once Gary publishes the software, you should be able to make any changes yo want, too.