Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: "TurboScan" Parallax SX28AC/DP SOC/CAN Monitor Project

Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Turbo3 wrote:Phil

From what I have seen on my test unit once the contrast is set it does not need to be changed. It should be a one time adjustment after build.

The sign is easy to change if that is the standard meaning.
Most LCD's need a temperature compensation for the contrast. Try it on a cold/hot day.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/[/size] - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

DoxyLover
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9214

Thu May 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Everyone seems to want to mount their Torboscan/Leafscan above the rear-view mirror. I'd much rather have it mounted above the upper left corner of the center display. This puts it a lot closer to the instrument cluster.

I'd lie to see an arrangement where you could pop out the center console, slip in some sort of a thin L bracket and reseat the console to hold it.
2011 Brilliant Silver Leaf SL
Reserved, quoted and ordered July 11, 2011
Delivered October 16, 2011 (Na. Plug-In Day)

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the finish prototype from yesterday at the Hybrids 2Hotrods show. I left the car on during the show which is why there is almost 7 hours on the run-time timer.

I did not have time to make and route a cable up to the mirror so I just temporarily mounted it above the center console.

Here is a close-up as I was entering the Mercury News parking lot.

jkirkebo
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344

Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm

DoxyLover wrote:Everyone seems to want to mount their Torboscan/Leafscan above the rear-view mirror. I'd much rather have it mounted above the upper left corner of the center display. This puts it a lot closer to the instrument cluster.

I'd lie to see an arrangement where you could pop out the center console, slip in some sort of a thin L bracket and reseat the console to hold it.
You could use a MTU Dashmount, usually used for mobile phones.

http://shop.mtutelecom.de/default.asp?W ... [1:701228]

Edit: The URL is correct, I do not know why it's not clickable. Copy/paste works.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Fri May 25, 2012 6:07 am

I would suspect that the square brackets in this URL are
what's causing problems for this forum's "URL-Parcer".
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

Turbo3
Gold Member

Re: WattsLeft™ Monitor (Parallax SX28AC/DP SOC/CAN Proje

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Since the name "TurboScan” does not describe the functions of this device I have changed the name to something more meaningful. Thanks to my wife the new name is now WattsLeft™ Monitor.

Here is the presentation I gave at the last BayLeafs meeting in July.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered and received one batch of three prototype PCBs and built up one board for testing and to work out how to package it with the display.

Packaging of the hardware is now complete. It all fits in a nice small case (smaller than Gary’s SOC meter case). The custom PCB is the same size as the display board and connects to it through a single 1x16 pin header. External connections to the OBCII connector and remote rotary controller are made through a 1x8 connector on the back.

The reset button on the back of the case is used to access the startup configuration screen and display software version. This is not finalized yet but currently is used to select when the serial port is enabled to send data. Reset does not clear any saved history data. Only unplugging the OBDII clears the saved data.

One major addition is support for a small external Bluetooth module connected to the serial port and located between the PCB and the back of the case. A MOSFET has been added to the next version of the PCB to cut power to the Bluetooth module during sleep mode. This BT module allows wireless monitoring of EV or CAN frames with a notebook or Android device (app needed). The current serial format for testing is Gary’s CANDO format.

The updated PCB has been finalized and a production batch of boards has been ordered with an Aug 8th delivery date.

How much interest is there in the Bluetooth feature? I estimate it to add $20-25 to the final cost.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Re: WattsLeft™ Monitor (Parallax SX28AC/DP SOC/CAN Project)

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Here are some additional pictures.

Back of case with cable attached.

Prototype hanger I just made to allow placement of monitor just above rearview mirror.

Outside view with cable hidden in headlining.

Finally the inside view.

Jim

lemketron
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1554

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Turbo3 wrote:Here are some additional pictures:
Back of case with cable attached...
Prototype hanger I just made to allow placement of monitor just above rearview mirror...
Outside view with cable hidden in headlining...
Finally the inside view...
Looking good, Jim!! :D
Reserved: 4/20/10, Ordered: 10/27/10, Delivered 5/10/11
Drivin' on sunshine! 5.4 KW Solar PV, PG&E E6 TOU, Blink EVSE (EV Project)
20,000+ miles of zero-emission solar-powered driving at $.01/mile!

surfingslovak
Vendor

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm

lemketron wrote:Looking good, Jim!! :D
Indeed, very inspiring work!

Turbo3
Gold Member

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Here is a close-up view of first prototype PCB. It was design for either pin-in-hole or surface mount parts for most of the resistors and capacitors.

The final PCB has a custom connector for the Bluetooth module plus other minor improvements in function and component placement. All surface mount parts are now on the back side. There is also the option to connect the BT receiver to the CPU or either CAN bus driver to the CPU. A jumper has been added to disable the RGB LED.

The DC-DC filter caps are way over spec and rated at 105c so there should be no issue handling the high temps in the car. (I also just happen to have a lot of them on hand.)

Jim

Return to “LEAF CANBus”