Dala's solar-powered workshop (+DIY powerwall coming)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
So I thought that I'd make a thread about this, welcome to follow the journey!

So the first thing that is now ongoing, is a 7.2kW solar install, that will be feeding into a Fronius Symo Gen24 5.0kW inverter. I made a video on the installation, will make a follow up once we commission the system :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePAek9D7z_Q

Nice !

I also have a flat roof (albeit of a different type) and wanted to end up with exactly what you did. Lacking those construction skills though, I asked for quotes from construction companies and was shut up quickly by bids from $30k to $60k.

SageBrush said:
Nice !

I also have a flat roof (albeit of a different type) and wanted to end up with exactly what you did. Lacking those construction skills though, I asked for quotes from construction companies and was shut up quickly by bids from $30k to $60k.

We save tons by DIYing it all! We had planks from our own sawmill, and the roof sheets were just 500€. So raising the roof barely cost anything (except a few hours of our life :D ) We still have to make it look nicer and replace the remaining roof sheets, but that's a project for autumn :)

Dala;
I noticed a couple of Leafs in your video - use one of them for the "DYI powerwall":D.
Seriously, here in Texas, the cost per kWh for a 2013 Leaf with decent bars is less than any "powerwall" and can be still used for transportation if it's the priority. I have contacted the V2X Nissan group about how to interpret their description of V2X capabilities in my 2021 Leaf's operations manual. I'll report any feedback.

dcbel apparantly has DC coupled the CHAdeMO to their hybrid solar inverter, so the technology appears to be commercially available.

I'm ready to "DIY" my third solar installation as soon as this V2X thing gets resolved, but not being a electronics designer, I've got to wait for a "commercial" power converter offering - like dcbel.

I sure do like your panel set up - I did something similar on a metal shed with aluminum framework built off the shed (after doubling up all the internal framing of the shed!). It's really fun!

Marktm said:
Dala;
I noticed a couple of Leafs in your video - use one of them for the "DYI powerwall":D.
Seriously, here in Texas, the cost per kWh for a 2013 Leaf with decent bars is less than any "powerwall" and can be still used for transportation if it's the priority. I have contacted the V2X Nissan group about how to interpret their description of V2X capabilities in my 2021 Leaf's operations manual. I'll report any feedback.

dcbel apparantly has DC coupled the CHAdeMO to their hybrid solar inverter, so the technology appears to be commercially available.

I'm ready to "DIY" my third solar installation as soon as this V2X thing gets resolved, but not being a electronics designer, I've got to wait for a "commercial" power converter offering - like dcbel.

I sure do like your panel set up - I did something similar on a metal shed with aluminum framework built off the shed (after doubling up all the internal framing of the shed!). It's really fun!

I have some V2X stuff ongoing in the R&D pipeline, but this won't be a topic for this thread.

Yesterday I got this picture from the energy provider, smart meter that can measure exported kWh is now installed in the main incoming electrical cabinet (for free!).
66nLDWr.png

And just as I was typing the last update, we got a summer-storm that caused some havoc. Here's what my energy providers outage map looks like, and it was way worse a few hours ago.

XU2a92U.png

So getting a powerwall going will be way more rewarding now! Funfact, the shop looses power 5-15 times per year due to storms.

We used to have a lot of outages here, too. Once I got the generator into an enclosure by the house where the generator connection port is - instead of having to painfully roll it 100 feet from the garage - the outages stopped. Maybe you will become a Local Hero by stopping your outages with your new backup power system. ;)

Today is the day. The system is now up'n'running for the first time. I am mesmerized by all the settings and visualizations that the Fronius system comes with, so here's a screenshot of the dashboard.

ROj21Fm.png

Now to let it run and collect some data, and we can start on integrating batteries soon :)

Dala said:
I have some V2X stuff ongoing in the R&D pipeline, but this won't be a topic for this thread.

Yesterday I got this picture from the energy provider, smart meter that can measure exported kWh is now installed in the main incoming electrical cabinet (for free!).

Great that you are on the "Northern Arizona" forum also. Very informative for solar enthusiasts - especially "Bill - BB" - the guy must live on in their server room somewhere :? - but so much help to all of us.

Dala, thanks for posting this. I can 100% appreciate the interest in the live data as I do something similar with my solar pool automation. It's pretty amazing once you realise how much energy is actually present in a square metre of solar exposure! I calculate live BTU measurements from my system (the system generates up to 100K BTU) based on actual flow and live input/output data as well as post a few data points from my SmarthThings hub, via hundredgraphs. I look forward to updates on your system as to how many kWh you are pumping out :) Is the system based on microinverters, or is this a string system?

Here is live data from my pool automation system. You need to click the "All" button on the page to view the data...

https://www.hundredgraphs.com/public/denwood

So what are you planning to use for the powerwall? I'd take a wild guess and say LEAF battery..ha.

Hey Dala! Looking to use your can-bridge to upgrade my LEAF to 62kWh. It's a project for this year, but not tomorrow, as I've got to clear some other projects first AND make room in my garage.

After the conversion is done, I intend to use part of my current pack (2015 pack with 11 of 12 bars for a DIY Powerwall and the rest for converting one of my classic Minis to an EV.

I've watched a lot of your stuff on YouTube with a mix of awe and respect. Please keep up the good work!

Thanks, always cool with more secondlifestorage builds! Good luck with your project :)

I just got the 11kWh BYD battery connected to the grid! :cool:
https://youtu.be/onuJrsD6vb0

Now to continue with reverse engineering the Modbus RTU protocol so that we can connect ~50kWh of spent LEAF battery packs instead... :D

Back