LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: HVAC Discussion

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:45 pm

This brings up a great point. All the fancy HVAC equipment in the world cannot help if the controls are ugly. There is an XKCD out there showing the digital resource lifespan. (https://xkcd.com/1909/) In a not joking way these Asian-made, WIFI connected devices won't be supported for ever and not as long as the hard parts will last . I ran a low voltage control wire with the lines and power wires so that I can, if needed, have a IR blaster remote control it.
Just to be clear: I don't have the WiFi set up, or the card for it installed. I'm just using the IR remote that came with the system. I'm not sure that it's the remote that is the issue, as the remote will read a more or less correct temp, but the mini split will either ignore it or stay within about 2 degrees high or low of that temp. The temp probe for the system is covered with a plastic tube, presumably to both protect it and to buffer the speed of temp changes being read. I've often considered removing that plastic tube, but then the probe would get covered with the dust that this house produces in vast amounts.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ripple4
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2018

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:32 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:45 pm
Just to be clear: I don't have the WiFi set up, or the card for it installed. I'm just using the IR remote that came with the system. I'm not sure that it's the remote that is the issue, as the remote will read a more or less correct temp...
I have seen that there are two groups of IR remotes, one way and two way. bassically the remote is smart or not. for a window AC unit I previously had installed a Broadlink WIFI IR remote that is smart and phone controlled. maybe that will control better?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085WYQ1XM
danrjones wrote: An update on my project, I ended up ordering the Mr. Cool Universal 5 ton system from Home Depot.
I'll update when I finish. Luckily I have time, it doesn't get cold here until mid to late November.
Please do update when finished. I would like to know if the large ducted heat pump is more economical than the mini-split approach. something like how many kWh the system uses and how many cooling/heating-degree-days that was spent over. For example the only data I have so far is from my august power bill which was the highest temperature average on my bill ever, 79F. The minisplit used 208kWh and the furnace circulator fan (60w, 625rpm) that runs 6.25 hours per day to blow the cooling around used 12kWh for a total of ~220kWh for 124 cooling degree days. (4 degrees between 79F average temp and 75F thermostat, times 31 days.)

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:14 pm

I just want to give a shout out for this guy: https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/
I've been reading his stuff for a while and he seems really on top of the science and is a good writer. There are lots of links to other sites and more in-depth reading also.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 am

I have an update on my HVAC project. After slowly working on it over the last month or two, I finally ran the line sets over the weekend and fired it up last night to test. I still have aesthetic / finishing work to do, such as a line set cover, repairing the HVAC closet where the air handler went in (I had to enlarge it compared to the old furnace, so now it needs a new larger door), etc

But my son and I tested it last night - ran it in AC mode, then ran the emergency heat strip, and then ran the heat pump. All seemed to work as intended. Nice to see a lot of hard work pay off, lest the wife tell me I should have hired a professional. It isn't really cold or warm enough right now to need Ac or Heat, but soon we should be using the heat pump in the mornings. The heat pump certainly put out a lot of heat - I remember the old days where heat pumps produced luke warm air. Within just a few minutes it was putting out high volume of 110f air and still climbing. Nice and warm, no complaints at all. And the outside unit is super quiet - not like the old school units.

I know i described the unit earlier, but here is a link to it at Home Depot at the bottom.

I went with the 4/5 ton unit, currently set for 5 ton operation. I used the 50 ft precharged lineset - I wish I could have done 35, but when I measured the distance I came up with 34' and I don't like cutting things that close. I was able to route it all through my attic in an arc shape using all 50 ft anyway, so it worked well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-DIY- ... /314983820
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:04 am

I'll post more detailed test results on how the unit actually does later, but I did take a quick look at energy consumption last night when testing. It was about 70 f outside, which isn't really ideal for testing heat or AC.

When running in AC mode, the unit was pulling about 3 kW. I know from the spec it will pull a lot more than that when it needs to run the outside compressor at a higher level. When running in heat pump mode, it was pulling about 5 kW. This also is not at max per the spec. And when I tested the heat strip, it was pulling 10 kW - which makes perfect sense, as I installed only a 10kW heat strip. The 5 ton unit recommended the 15kW or 20 kW heat strip, but I thought that was way too much for my area, plus it would have required TWO 60 amp breakers and double the wiring. Don't need that where I live.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Return to “Solar”