I have an update on my HVAC project. After slowly working on it over the last month or two, I finally ran the line sets over the weekend and fired it up last night to test. I still have aesthetic / finishing work to do, such as a line set cover, repairing the HVAC closet where the air handler went in (I had to enlarge it compared to the old furnace, so now it needs a new larger door), etc
But my son and I tested it last night - ran it in AC mode, then ran the emergency heat strip, and then ran the heat pump. All seemed to work as intended. Nice to see a lot of hard work pay off, lest the wife tell me I should have hired a professional. It isn't really cold or warm enough right now to need Ac or Heat, but soon we should be using the heat pump in the mornings. The heat pump certainly put out a lot of heat - I remember the old days where heat pumps produced luke warm air. Within just a few minutes it was putting out high volume of 110f air and still climbing. Nice and warm, no complaints at all. And the outside unit is super quiet - not like the old school units.
I know i described the unit earlier, but here is a link to it at Home Depot at the bottom.
I went with the 4/5 ton unit, currently set for 5 ton operation. I used the 50 ft precharged lineset - I wish I could have done 35, but when I measured the distance I came up with 34' and I don't like cutting things that close. I was able to route it all through my attic in an arc shape using all 50 ft anyway, so it worked well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-DIY- ... /314983820