saleem145
Delivery Date: 09 Nov 2012

Re: Pricing a 5KW system

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Hello,

Just to keep everyone posted I spoke to two guys -- they said the going rate is $5 per watt in Connecticut which is very expensive. I don't really understand why the rate should be higher in Connecticut as opposed to elsewhere in the country.

One thing though that in order to qualify for state incentives it has to be installed by someone who is certified by the state.

My plan is to have to survey the site and provide me the design. Next I will let him know that I will buy the equipment and hire the labor he will need. (I know some cheap guys) and he will be responsible for supervising them and getting me the money from the state.

I am hoping this will put me in $3.5 range.

Thanks,

Saleem

madbrain
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023874

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

saleem145 wrote:Hello Madbrain,

The power generated would be 2880 kwh per annum which would earn me $460 per annum. I understand that the economics for a 5kW addition would be even better.
I don't know how you earn money from power generated in CT, but here in CA all you can do is use net metering to offset your energy charges. Any excess electricity is paid at only around 3 cents/kWh so it makes no sense to be a net generator.
My plan is buy the Leaf this month, do the first 5kW system just after winter.
From a timing perspective, it makes sense to do your solar now, so you can get your federal tax credit back very soon next year after you file your tax return. Of course, if you wait, you could adjust your withholding throughout the year too.
And then the year after if things work out do the addition to take myself fully off the grid.
Completely off grid ? That will require batteries which are very expensive.
I don't see how you could possibly earn money for any energy generated if you are off-grid, also.
1. I understand the only thing you did was buy the panels and inverters?? Contractor bought everything else, did the install and paperwork and approvals??
Yes, that's correct.
2. Please can you provide a breakdown between labor and materials. Your systems has 12 panels?? So your inverters and panels cost $3060 and the contractor took $5,394?? Of the money given to contractor how much was materials, and how much labor??
12 x M190 inverters were $1375 including CA sales tax and one 20' extension cable.
12 x Talesun TP660M-240P panels were $2215 including CA sales tax and a warehouse packing charge...
The rest was the parts bought by the contractor and his labor. I have a full list with a breakdown, but he does add his markup to each part he buys so I don't think it would necessarily help you much. I believe the labor was about 2/3 of the rest, though.
3. What is the area in sq ft taken up on your roof??
I actually don't know off hand, would have to look at the plans. My roof is so large that it isn't much of an issue. I have a total of 40 panels now and still have room for another 17 easily in a good location for solar. And possibly much more if I use tilt or put some on the ceiling of my covered deck behind. I am not limited by my roof..

madbrain
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 023874

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:04 pm

saleem145 wrote:Hello,

Just to keep everyone posted I spoke to two guys -- they said the going rate is $5 per watt in Connecticut which is very expensive. I don't really understand why the rate should be higher in Connecticut as opposed to elsewhere in the country.

One thing though that in order to qualify for state incentives it has to be installed by someone who is certified by the state.
Not really hard to see why, when the state incentives are $1/watt, it attracts a lot of contractors who want to line their pockets with the government money. In California the CSI rebate is now down to $0.20/watt for the biggest utility and the prices have dropped significantly since the rebate has dropped.

My advice is to keep looking until someone gives you a more reasonable rate.

Return to “Solar”