malkit
Delivery Date: 31 Dec 2012

Solar Solution

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I drive about 8 miles a day. I want to mount 2-250 watt solar panels on my car and charge it while parked 8 hours when i am working in office. It is about 2KWH of electricity. I read on this forum that i can drive about 3.5 miles/kwh
Will this work experts?
Germany is supplying 50% of its electricity via solar. Sweden has a mandate to get off oil by 2020.
America is still debating?What a shame

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Re: Solar Solution

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't think it's very cost effective, and 2 panels really aren't going to fit in any nice way or be practical to carry around. Have you researched the size? Plus, you'd need an inverter capable of operating off grid, as most systems are designed to run using the signal from the grid as a reference to match up to.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Cheezmo
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 9084

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 pm

I started off with the same thinking. I was going to do a small little solar installation just to generate enough to make up for the car charging (and that was when I just had the Leaf). The economics of it just didn't work out. The sweet spot for me ended up being a 24 panel system.

I think if you really start looking into it, and if the economics make sense, you will find you want to go all in.
Steve Martin
White 2014 BMW i3 - Aerovironment EVSE
White Diamond Tricoat [2012 Volt - Blink EVSE
Black 2014 Volt - Blink EVSE
6kW Solar array

klapauzius
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm

You could get thin-film solar, which is easier to mount but less efficient.
In any case I would suspect there are some series technical challenges ahead and cost-wise this would not make any sense
at all (ever).

malkit

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

GeekEV wrote:I don't think it's very cost effective, and 2 panels really aren't going to fit in any nice way or be practical to carry around. Have you researched the size? Plus, you'd need an inverter capable of operating off grid, as most systems are designed to run using the signal from the grid as a reference to match up to.
My solar system will mount neatly on my car and i can keep them in my trunk when i dont need them.
It cost will about 1000USD. 500 for the panels another 500 for the off grid pure sine wave inverter.

I was under the impression that only grid tied inverter need the 60hz ac grid frequency to work. Are you sure this applies to the off grid system?

==============================
PS: i want to show people in my office how easy and cost effective it can be to drive an electric car. I want to motivate people to buy this car so that this car can survive.

malkit

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:17 pm

klapauzius wrote:You could get thin-film solar, which is easier to mount but less efficient.
In any case I would suspect there are some series technical challenges ahead and cost-wise this would not make any sense
at all (ever).

I am planning to get solar panels from Germany.They are making them twice as efficient.
Solar panels are hugely subsidized there.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:36 pm

malkit wrote:
GeekEV wrote:I don't think it's very cost effective, and 2 panels really aren't going to fit in any nice way or be practical to carry around. Have you researched the size? Plus, you'd need an inverter capable of operating off grid, as most systems are designed to run using the signal from the grid as a reference to match up to.
My solar system will mount neatly on my car and i can keep them in my trunk when i dont need them.
It cost will about 1000USD. 500 for the panels another 500 for the off grid pure sine wave inverter.

I was under the impression that only grid tied inverter need the 60hz ac grid frequency to work. Are you sure this applies to the off grid system?

PS: i want to show people in my office how easy and cost effective it can be to drive an electric car. I want to motivate people to buy this car so that this car can survive.
Very nice. Please share the details of what you got, where, how it all went together and maybe even some pics!

If your inverter is designed of off grid use, then it meets my assertion that "you'd need an inverter capable of operating off grid"... ;)

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

malkit

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:58 pm

GeekEV wrote:
malkit wrote:

Very nice. Please share the details of what you got, where, how it all went together and maybe even some pics!

If your inverter is designed of off grid use, then it meets my assertion that "you'd need an inverter capable of operating off grid"... ;)
I am going out on LONG holidays. Will set up the system and share when i am back.

klapauzius
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0197

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

malkit wrote: I am planning to get solar panels from Germany.They are making them twice as efficient.
Solar panels are hugely subsidized there.
While its true that they are subsidized in Germany, they nevertheless do not make them twice as efficient.

While Germans have a reputation of being efficient, that does not apply to everything they make.
(I take that back when it comes to cars and appliances, but the US has caught up quite a bit there)

There is a lot of research going on right now to improve efficiency, but nothing has hit the market yet that would be
a radical change from the current panels.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:44 pm

malkit wrote:I want to mount 2-250 watt solar panels on my car and charge it while parked 8 hours when i am working in office.
Have you seen solar panels in the 200 watt range up close? They are large. Not something you can mount on a car or move around easily. :)
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

Return to “Solar”