Does Solar Increase Home Value

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it depends on the type of system:

- A recent Enphase system with 25-year warranties on both the PV panels and the microinverters, both with very high MTBFs, should have near zero maintenance costs and will provide value for a long time to come, so it should add value.

- A grid-tied system with a SunnyBoy central inverter might have a neutral value since it provides value, but will likely need all inverters replaced approximately 10 years after the system was installed.

- An off-grid PV system may have a negative value for someone who does not wish to maintain a PV system.

From a market perspective: No.
I speak from personal experience, it does not make any difference.

Most people are clueless when it comes to green technology. Consequently, that will not be a decision factor for your average house buyer.
Don't factor that into your calculations, when you plan to install solar panels.

As with most things, I guess, the answer is "It Depends."

Some parts of the US (and the world) do not add the value of alternative energy systems to property taxes. (This seems to say yes - because there MUST be a perceived value increase in order for the state folks to consider offering the incentive to alternative energy owners.)

Home builders in the San Antonio area are seeing increased demand for homes with solar on the roof and are finally starting to meet the demand in new construction. These homes are selling for a premium over energy impaired buildings.

There's an entire swath of US population that simply won't buy another standard home without either increased efficiency or alt energy or both - they're not even in the 'traditional' housing market.

Then we have these:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/study-finds-solar-panels-increase-home-values/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20088646-54/econ-101-solar-panels-increase-home-values/

Back