powerhouse solar roof shingles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

banner-powerhouse-new.jpg

what do you guys think of this new kind of PV?

IMO, they're way better looking compared to the conventional PV panels....

I bet they're twice more expensive .......

How much does a DOW POWERHOUSE™ Solar Shingle System cost?

DOW POWERHOUSE™ Solar Shingle Systems are much more affordable than most homeowners realize. Over the life of the home, Solar Shingles will cost significantly less than traditional asphalt shingles. Federal tax credits of 30%, along with generous state and local utility company incentives, can reduce costs by upward of 50%–60%, resulting in attractive paybacks for residential solar. In some states, such as California, the incentives result in a cost of $31,000 for an average size POWERHOUSE roof. In fact, for every $1 more you invest in a POWERHOUSE roof, you’ll get up to $4 back in energy savings.* The specific cost and savings for any given homeowner will depend not only on where they live but also on other factors, such as the size and orientation of their home, personal cost criteria parameters and household energy offset goals. Our Authorized Dealers can provide a custom quote based on the specifics of the homeowner’s needs and local incentives.

*Based on a California home assuming optimal roof orientation and pitch, free from shade. Estimated savings based on 25 years.

At $30k, I don't think there would ever be a breakeven for me. Non-optimal roof pitch, and not shade free, plus they would be covered with snow for half the year.

SKY888 said:
what do you guys think of this new kind of PV?
I think that if they are made of thin-film PV materials their efficiency will degrade so quickly that they will only produce about 80% of their new production after only about 10 years. At least that is how thin-film PV panels used to degrade. They likely also have lower efficiencies to begin with, meaning you need a bigger roof to be able to produce the same amount of electricity.

Back