Kill-A-Watt P3 on sale cheap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keydiver

This is the best price I think I've ever seen on the Kill-A-Watt P3. If you've been looking for a chance to buy one, its only $16.99 after promo code EMCYTZT3638
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-715-001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have 2 of them, and lend them to friends all the time to calculate their AC loads.

keydiver said:
This is the best price I think I've ever seen on the Kill-A-Watt P3. If you've been looking for a chance to buy one, its only $16.99 after promo code EMCYTZT3638
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=82-715-001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have 2 of them, and lend them to friends all the time to calculate their AC loads.

That is a good price. How much for shipping?
I got mine free from our Utility for having an energy audit which was free also (after the $100 gift card).

Amazon has it regular for $17.49 and its Prime, ie delivery in 2 days.
Newegg requires you to sign up for an email spam, I mean newsletter to get the $16.99 price. Worth $0.50 to me not to get more email and get it quicker.

dm33 said:
Amazon has it regular for $17.49 and its Prime, ie delivery in 2 days.
Newegg requires you to sign up for an email spam, I mean newsletter to get the $16.99 price. Worth $0.50 to me not to get more email and get it quicker.

That's fine if you have Prime, but maybe a lot of people don't so they would pay shipping in addition to the price.

LEAFfan said:
That's fine if you have Prime, but maybe a lot of people don't so they would pay shipping in addition to the price.
...or buy something else to get your total above $25 to qualify for free shipping.

RegGuheert said:
LEAFfan said:
...or buy something else to get your total above $25 to qualify for free shipping.

Amazon's free shipping is painful. They sit on your ordered items for 5 days before they even send them out. Probably a deliberate ploy to get you to pony up next time!

mwalsh said:
Amazon's free shipping is painful. They sit on your ordered items for 5 days before they even send them out. Probably a deliberate ploy to get you to pony up next time!
And then they use that terrible lash up of UPS/USPS or FedEx/USPS.

Be careful when using the device. They claim 15 Amps, but I and others have had the thing smoke at 12 Amps continuous. The usual failure is one of the prongs gets so hot, it desolders from the PCB.

ebill3 said:
Be careful when using the device. They claim 15 Amps, but I and others have had the thing smoke at 12 Amps continuous. The usual failure is one of the prongs gets so hot, it desolders from the PCB.
Sounds scary. I ordered one from amazon. Now I'm worried.
Wouldn't that be a UL violation or something. Fire hazard is not worth $16. I'll monitor it when I get it for hot spots.

dm33 said:
ebill3 said:
Sounds scary. I ordered one from amazon. Now I'm worried.
Wouldn't that be a UL violation or something. Fire hazard is not worth $16. I'll monitor it when I get it for hot spots.

UL doesn't guarantee that a device will not fail. One goal of UL is that when a device fails that it self extinguishes. I wouldn't worry much about it though just don't leave it at 100% load for long periods of time unwatched :)

QueenBee said:
UL doesn't guarantee that a device will not fail. One goal of UL is that when a device fails that it self extinguishes. I wouldn't worry much about it though just don't leave it at 100% load for long periods of time unwatched :)
Such a charging an electric car unattended over night every night...

url Here is what mine looked like after using it to monitor L1 charging at 12 Amps. Note the discoloration and wrinkle in the plastic from heat. The photo is after I re-soldered the prong to the PCB.

It is probably just fine for something like a refrigerator that is not a continuous load, but I recommend NOT using it with an EVSE, even at 12 Amps.

I had a Kill-A-Watt go bad on me (probably not from high current) and am now reluctant to buy another. It is/was at least 5 years old though, so maybe they've improved it. Are there any good alternatives, or is P3 the only game in town?

I haven't used it on the car charger. But for around the house, I saw a video review that rated the Ensupra higher, and better built than the killawatt.

Here is a unit on sale on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ensupra-Electricity-Usage-Monitor-Watt-Meter-Track-Record-Cut-Elec-Cost-ShipFast-/130932785937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7c33c311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a video review comparison:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-t0Ah_Jp_I[/youtube]

I received it and am using it for unattended charging. I've measured it's temperature after running for several hours. The hottest spot I detect from the outside is around 100. I think that's ere try much how hot the plug was getting without the killawatt.
For the moment, it seems ok to me. I may unplug it and check it for damage, but 100 after that much time seems to indicate it doesn't have a hotspot.

anyone have any issues with this?

i think a guy from the volt forums, had his melt before.

2625988-yxq8.JPG

on a side note, i would like a 240v tester/meter

e546b996-04b5-43a6-801b-51aa3d73077d_300.jpg

anyone have the Ryobi for $24.99 ?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Appliance-Current-Meter-E49CM01/202048563#.Uc2bRfZ_VM4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back