Andolyn
Delivery Date: 27 Sep 2014

Solar company in orange county area

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:07 am

I'm looking into solar for my home in Orange county california. I'm looking for recommends of solar companies some of you folks here have used and have had good success with?
Thanks for any info

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: Solar company in orange county area

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:46 am

Heliopower installed mine. They were good, but I really needed to ride them on getting the job started as scheduled, because my installation was tiny/inexpensive compared to the high five-figure installations that appeared (4 years ago, at least) to be their stock and trade.

My sales person, Bret Pursuit, was the most pleasant part of the experience. He's gone on to be an independent solar consultant since then, and I don't have contact information for him right at hand (on my office PC), but I can get it for you by the middle of next week. He's worth giving a call, just to see if/how he can help you through his industry contacts. In the meantime, here's his Linkedin profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/bret-pursuit/6/45b/759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 am

I went with solar city purchase. They were on the ball the entire time. Excellent service and followup. Navigated all the HOA and city issues with ease. Install was one day including all stucco and paint. Came back in ten days to replace a few broken roof tiles. Absolutely no issues. Liked making the payment through paypal on a credit card.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

greengate
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 am

smkettner wrote:I went with solar city purchase. They were on the ball the entire time. Excellent service and followup. Navigated all the HOA and city issues with ease. Install was one day including all stucco and paint. Came back in ten days to replace a few broken roof tiles. Absolutely no issues. Liked making the payment through paypal on a credit card.
No problem feeding it back into the grid to be reimbursed and or credited for the power you are making with your system?

I ask because here in the Chicago area, it's reported that the power company, (Commonwealth Edison,) keeps loosing the paper work that the installation company submitted, so people go for months with no credit.

Maybe someone in the Chicago area can chime in on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 pm

No issues, no delays. Full and proper credits on the billing statements.

Although the net metering in OC may change some in 2017 so best to get this ball rolling if you are on the fence.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:17 am

Also look into RGS (Real Goods Solar), they are the oldest and longest running residential solar company in the USA (http://rgsenergy.com/) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Goods.

When I got my Leaf and wanted solar ASAP, I asked on here and was refereed to them and highly recommended. As you can see in this thread, we went all out and got an awesome system and they did a great job!

As well as cheap! We had bids from EVERYONE! and I mean EVERYONE! Good luck on your solar adventure!

Just make sure to get multiple bids!!!

EDIT: I'm approaching 1yr to PTO so I'll post all the monthly stats soon! http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15050
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

Andolyn
Delivery Date: 27 Sep 2014

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Findally started my solar search. talked to sungevity yesterday
4KW system is what they recommended. 15K to purchase usual solar tax incentives rolls out to be about $4300
Or $99 lease for 20 years at the end of the lease, 3 options
A- panels i now own
B- i can have them removed at their cost
C- i can update to what is the solar stuff then. ( 20 year)
German panels Trina was the brand ( 14) 15% efficient 6-8 weeks approx install time.
single inverter, Girl had said the the inverter per panel was a problem because the inverters are under the panels and get hot and have been needing to be replaced.
I'm talking to solar city this week.
I have solar city and RGS next
Last edited by Andolyn on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Andolyn wrote:single inverter, Girl had said the the inverter per panel was a problem because the inverters are under the panels and get hot and have been needing to be replaced.
There is some truth to that. I have studied this in some detail and posted a thread on the findings. While the failure rate on the previous generation of microinverters was too high, the current generation shows no indication of a problem. You might want to take into consideration that the warranty for the microinverters is 25 years, while that for the central inverters is only 10 years.

And there are other considerations besides reliability and warranties, some of which we have discussed in some detail in this thread.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 am

Andolyn wrote: German panels Trina was the brand
Ummm NO!!!

Trina's are pure Chinese.. If you are renting or Leasing a system and have no vested interest then fine. But if you are purchasing, go with something else.. and not Sungevity. When we were looking, they were the highest watt/$ out of all the quotes. Don't let them fool you :roll:
Trina Solar was established in 1997 in China and has been listed on the stock exchange since 2006. The name "Trina" is a transliteration of the original Chinese name TianHe. Roughly translated, it means "to combine harmoniously with the sky"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trina_Solar

P.S. Solarcity has supposedly gone into an agreement to buy Trina or their manufacturing because it's the only panel they and Tesla use for their setups and they want exclusivity. But still, you get what you pay for :roll:
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

sub3marathonman
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:16 am

Over at the Arizona Wind & Sun forum, a user SolarPowered, documented his work for a client out West, I thought in California but I'm not sure. You can at least follow the installation that he did and possibly ask a few questions too.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/s ... n-progress

Even if you're not going to do the work yourself, it is very important to know the fundamentals and if things are being done right. For example, on my installation, I hired a roofer to install the brackets. When he was starting I casually asked him why he didn't snap a chalk line. He said, "I've been doing this for 20 years and I don't need a chalk line." OK, but ... you guessed it, when I went up and looked it was as crooked as a sidewinder in the Sahara. I ended up having to loosen everything and readjust as best I could to get it at least close to straight. He also left me to haul the panels up to the roof myself, backwards up a ladder thinking it is $1000 if I drop this and I sure hope the wind doesn't pick up right now. I got worried about the electrician when he said, "Wow, it's been awhile since I bent conduit." So I finally had to, as the guys in the electrical store kept saying, "fire the electrician," because when I looked him up his license had lapsed. Just an oversight but it would have cost me the $18K rebate. So yes, it still can be a project even when you hire people. In the end, I found a great electrician who came in and did the last bit of the project.

Return to “Solar”