AMAZING NEW TECHNOLOGY?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktm

Leaf Supporting Member
Interesting that the Leaf battery BMS/Heater system accomplished a similar goal with similar technology years ago - likely for 1/10 the cost!

http://www.saftbatteries.com/press/press-releases/saft-lithium-ion-battery-energy-storage-system-harnesses-solar-deliver-reliable

OK - maybe not to the same extremes of temperature. And, a major missing link is direct solar DC charging - need that hi voltage MPPT CC that is CHAdeMO compatible.

I don't see any relationship to this and the LEAF pack. This is a battery storage system in a thermal controlled container and the LEAF is a traction pack with no thermal conditioning. What "amazing technology" is in an insulated storage container with climate control?

EVDRIVER said:
I don't see any relationship to this and the LEAF pack. This is a battery storage system in a thermal controlled container and the LEAF is a traction pack with no thermal conditioning. What is amazing about a battery pack in an insulated storage container with climate control?

Nothing amazing - that's my point. With (future) bi-directional CHAdeMO based MPPT CC, the similarities are the point. The implementation of the battery heater in the Leaf's pack is simply a matter of how insulated, how cold and how much wasted energy to keep it warm.

Not following at all. Apples to Oranges, this is just another batty backup system like any other. It shares nothing with the LEAF in any way, in fact it is an example of all the opposites. I think you lost me on the point of posting this, SAFT and others have been doing these things for years, this is just a more insulated version for colder temps. It's just another press release of nothing new. I suppose if you insulate the LEAF pack, put in a grid-tied inverter, and full thermal cooling then you will have similarities. You said:

"Interesting that the Leaf battery BMS/Heater system accomplished a similar goal with similar technology years ago - likely for 1/10 the cost!"

Please explain how you came to this conclusion, they are not the same and the LEAF has NO cooling and only a primitive and inefficient heating system that would not work in this situation. You can't compare the cost. The LEAF system would not even function here. The only thing these two have in common is a battery.

Back