golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Re: Dumbest excuses people have given for NOT installing PV

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:38 am

SageBrush wrote:
golfcart wrote:
SageBrush wrote: I know, you were only talking about the ant. WetEV and I are reminding you of the elephant.
I think the elephant has been well acknowledged by all parties but thanks for the reminder. I will stick to the approved list of talking points in the future... :roll:
If by 'approved' you mean pertinent and relevant to the context then YES. E.g., I could mention out of the blue that the progressive vote was fragmented but that would be useless spin. The pertinent information would be the ~ 90% majority.

Likewise, I could say that it is false to call the Repuke electorate AGW denialists. That is correct since ~ 15% of that group realize that climate change is anthropogenic. However, the tone, politicians and laws reflect the denialism of the supermajority 85% of that group so my original statement is just spin.
And round and round we go...
2018 SV

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:34 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Meh, 8 billion people headed to 11 on this rock orbiting a star the only thing certain is that it can't and won't continue. Something's going to get us, who knows if the CO2 will be first.
I hope you are incorrect. We (and our descendants) might manage to avoid all potential future disasters, or at least survive them.

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Meanwhile go ahead try telling people to turn off their air conditioners and let me know how that works out.
If that is what you are suggesting, I agree it probably will not work. Perhaps you might want to rethink the problem.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Maybe this topic has run its course...?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:24 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Maybe this topic has run its course...?
It should resolve of its own volition
https://youtu.be/7zwswEVDAlU
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:07 am

Maybe someone will mention that littlr guy with the big mustache...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RustyShackleford
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2018

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:09 pm

I have not read through all 17 pages of this thread, so maybe this has been discussed ....

The thing that's stopping us right now is that, as long as we have gear on the roof that can generate 5kw when the sun is shining, we'd like to be able use that power when the grid is down; this is not uncommon where we live. Unfortunately, the PV installers are not interested in doing this without using expensive lithium-ion battery systems like the PowerWall; this would more than double the cost of the system we're thinking of installing. We prefer a more modest solution that involves single-digit kilowatt-hours of AGM (or maybe lead-acid) storage; that's still enough to run the fridge & cable modem a day or two and run the well pump enough for drinking and a little washing. I don't know if the installers don't want to bother unless it's as expensive as PowerWall etc, or if the PowerWall deals with a lot of the complication for them.

But a lot of complication there is. I've been debating how to do it with some smart people at stackexchange (and I'm an EE) and the answer is not clear to us. A lot of the complication has to do with the stricter "rapid shutdown" requirement of the 2017 NEC.

So that's gonna stop us, at least until I can figure out how to do it. I just can't see having all that power generation on the roof and not being able to use it when the grid goes down.
2018 Nissan Leaf SV
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:I have not read through all 17 pages of this thread, so maybe this has been discussed ....

The thing that's stopping us right now is that, as long as we have gear on the roof that can generate 5kw when the sun is shining, we'd like to be able use that power when the grid is down; this is not uncommon where we live. Unfortunately, the PV installers are not interested in doing this without using expensive lithium-ion battery systems like the PowerWall; this would more than double the cost of the system we're thinking of installing. We prefer a more modest solution that involves single-digit kilowatt-hours of AGM (or maybe lead-acid) storage; that's still enough to run the fridge & cable modem a day or two and run the well pump enough for drinking and a little washing. I don't know if the installers don't want to bother unless it's as expensive as PowerWall etc, or if the PowerWall deals with a lot of the complication for them.

But a lot of complication there is. I've been debating how to do it with some smart people at stackexchange (and I'm an EE) and the answer is not clear to us. A lot of the complication has to do with the stricter "rapid shutdown" requirement of the 2017 NEC.

So that's gonna stop us, at least until I can figure out how to do it. I just can't see having all that power generation on the roof and not being able to use it when the grid goes down.
Check out the sunny island or StorEdge inverters. I think StorEdge only works with Powerwall and LG Chem batteries, but Sunny Island works with a variety of battery packs. It still likely won't be cheap, though...
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Return to “Solar”