2017 Leaf _EVSE Green light Blinking on Level One Charger with a Solar set up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldstorage5

Hello, I own a 2017 Leaf. I have a solar Set up with a 2500 inverter. When I plug in I get a blinking green light.
Ive seen others with the same problem but I cant figure out what to do when reading past posts. My set up powers everything else ( fridge, freezers, etc)
So, Im getting this green blinking light. I have search all over and I get little results except for this " 1/2 watt, 100kohm resistor"
Or I get this " bonding ground-neutral with a resistor on some of the inverter-generator threads" Which I need help with..

Seeing I could get a successful solar set up going can some one please explain to me in layman's terms what am I supposed to o.
I have searched other links so please be patient.
I very much appreciate you help here. Im so close to using my off the grid system.
Thank you

I have a solar Set up with a 2500 inverter.

First: What is the rated continuous and surge output of the inverter? I'm assuming that the "2500" doesn't stand for "2500 watt"...

Second: are you trying 120 volt charging, or 240 volt? L-2 240 volt charging is where issues with generators arise - L-1 120 volt usually works fine.

I assume you are trying to charge at 120 volts using the Nissan EVSE and a 2500 watt inverter. Most EVSE's, including that Nissan unit check for a proper equipment ground connection by injecting a small current from line to ground. The grounding test injection current from the Nissan EVSE is less than 5 mA so it will not trip a properly-installed and functioning GFCI, but it will not charge the car if the grounding test is not satisfied. Most portable generators are shipped from the factory with neutral isolated from ground so either a resistor between neutral and ground or a solid bonding jumper (there are advantages/disadvantages associated with either method) is needed to satisfy the EVSE. It is likely that the neutral of your inverter output is not referenced to ground so the EVSE will not charge. Check manufacturer instructions for your inverter to see if it can be configured with a neutral ground (either resistor or solid bond). Grounding the neutral may permanently damage some inverters so be careful. Also, I don't know if the EVSE and onboard charger would tolerate the stair step waveform from a "modified sine wave" inverter so I recommend that a "pure sine wave" inverter be used. I tested my 2011, 2015, and 2019 LEAF's with my portable generators which have pure sine wave inverter outputs. Both of my generators came from the factory with their neutrals isolated from ground, but the owner manuals allow for bonding, if required. I have used 100k ohm resistors and solid bonds for testing. The resistor will limit ground fault current to a safe level, but it will prevent tripping of a GFCI if a ground fault happens. The solid bond provides no ground fault protection, but it will allow a GFCI to function normally and trip for a ground fault beyond the GFCI. A solid neutral to ground bond is similar to a standard residential service entrance panel ground/bond connection.

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/generator-bonding-plug?variant=12272654155860

The inverter runs two 60 volt lines.
Depending on the inverter if you try to ground one of the 2 lines to make a neutral it could fry the inverter.
Also charging circuits don't like modified sine wave power.

Back