User avatar
JeremyW
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: How big is your system?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:24 pm

TickTock wrote:My 10.8kw system only covers 80% of my bill.
Ack! That's a lot of energy! Where does it all go?? :lol: You live in an oven state (Mom is from there), so I'll cut you some slack. ;)

I have a family friend that is consistently in the top tier bracket with So. Cal. Edison, and nothing I've said has convinced him to invest in solar, or at least conserve a little bit. I think he'd need your size system to keep up with his bill. The biggest draw is their pool, with its 2 hp pump motor that has to run 10 hours a day.
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: How big is your system?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 pm

JeremyW wrote:
TickTock wrote:My 10.8kw system only covers 80% of my bill.
Ack! That's a lot of energy! Where does it all go?? :lol: You live in an oven state (Mom is from there), so I'll cut you some slack. ;)

I have a family friend that is consistently in the top tier bracket with So. Cal. Edison, and nothing I've said has convinced him to invest in solar, or at least conserve a little bit. I think he'd need your size system to keep up with his bill. The biggest draw is their pool, with its 2 hp pump motor that has to run 10 hours a day.
3100+ home, three kids, and lots of west facing windows. I have some trees strategically placed that I think will help a lot (without blocking the array) in a few years but they are still small. I actually think with just a little work (like installing better reflective coasting on the windows) and maturing the trees, I will eventually get the "SRP pays me" bragging rights.

scramjett
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6463
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact: Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: How big is your system?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:06 pm

2.2 kW 14 Sunpower panels. 1900 sqft house, not yet on TOU (I have access to L2 when I go to work so I only use L1 for occasional top off).

Out of curiosity, does anyone hose/clean their solar panels? If so, what time of year and how often? I usually hose mine down from June to September/October about every 2 weeks (unless it rains, which is rare in those months in Sacramento, but not unheard of).
Jeff

2011 SL, Ocean Blue

2007 Prius VI, Silver Pine Mica

User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: How big is your system?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:50 pm

scramjett wrote:2.2 kW 14 Sunpower panels. 1900 sqft house, not yet on TOU (I have access to L2 when I go to work so I only use L1 for occasional top off).

Out of curiosity, does anyone hose/clean their solar panels? If so, what time of year and how often? I usually hose mine down from June to September/October about every 2 weeks (unless it rains, which is rare in those months in Sacramento, but not unheard of).
I was encouraged very emphatically NOT to ever hose them off and just let the rain do it (despite how infrequently that is in Phoenix). The calcium deposits are very difficult to remove once you have them.

Yanquetino
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 am

Re: How big is your system?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 pm

scramjett wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone hose/clean their solar panels? If so, what time of year and how often? I usually hose mine down from June to September/October about every 2 weeks (unless it rains, which is rare in those months in Sacramento, but not unheard of).
I clean my panels every few months, depending upon what storms have blown through. A rainstorm will simply do the job for me, but if it rains and then a blustery dust storm hits... they end up caked with dirt.

I do not hose them off. About a half-hour before sunset I climb up on the roof with a bucket of water, plus a half-cup of vinegar added, and clean them with a dual felt-squeegy attachment for washing windows. Of course, this is easy for me to do since we have a flat roof (Santa Fe style desert home). Cleaning off panels on a traditional, peaked roof would be much harder.

Funny thing, however: I do not notice much difference in my array's output whether the panels are clean or dirty. On back-to-back sunny days, the first day dirty, the second day clean, the difference between the kWhs produced seems negligible. In fact, I once noticed that they produced a bit more dirty than clean. Go figure!

User avatar
Boomer23
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: How big is your system?

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:16 pm

My panels are hard to reach for cleaning. They're on my second story tile roof and they take up most of the roof area, so there is no safe place to stand, even if I had the guts/stupidity to try it, which I don't. I have to work on a ladder placed on my patio cover using a sheet of plywood for a base, and use a hose and a long handled soft brush reaching upward from the eave line.

I've cleaned them only twice in almost five years, both times during the summer, thinking that the panels might be dusty from the lack of recent rains and I wanted to make sure that I was making the most of my summer generation potential. I did wait until later in the day, so that the panels were not as hot. I could definitely see the panels shine after removing the dirt film. It was like washing a car in that you can hose it all you want, but the dirt doesn't all go away until you physically touch the surface.

I noticed a slight increase in performance of perhaps 2 to 3 percent the last time I cleaned them, but that was after a summer when a lot of roadwork had been done on the road behind us, so there was probably a lot of dust on the panels. This year, without having cleaned them in the summer, they've performed about the same as last year.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
SilverLeaf
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000516
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: How big is your system?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:58 pm

I have a 5.52 kW system consisting of 24 SunPower 230w panels connected to a SunPower (SunnyBoy) Inverter.
The system is monitored using Tigo Energy Maximizers on each panel.

My system has been in since March, 2011. The installer cleans my panels twice a year (included)

I am so satisfied with my production that in January I will be adding 6 additional panels to bring the system to 6.9kW.

The link to my daily and historical production is: http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?PVPwrEv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the Scottsdale/Phoenix area Solar is a no brainer. Seems like 400 days of sunshine per year :-)
Reserved 4/20/2010
Ordered 9/2/2010
Arrived 4/17/2011
Installed 5.52 kW PV 2/2011
Upgraded PV to 6.9 kW 2/2012
Upgraded PV to 7.59 kW 2/2013

DesertDenizen
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:23 am
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 314507
Location: Tucson

Re: How big is your system?

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 pm

My 4kwh system supplies my all electric house and charges my Leaf. (I live alone and have a well insulated home.) 120 panels, as I installed it 9 years ago. (Imagine what 120 panels today would produce!) I am on 4 acres out in the desert so space wasn't an issue.
Fully charged by photo voltaic system.
Nov 9 2014 got my 2015 lease, SL. My third Leaf. Tucson AZ. 5,500 miles, 5.2 long term m/kwh. Let us see if the 'lizard' battery does better than my 2011, which lost a capacity bar at 6,771 miles.

Uccello
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0240
Location: San Diego

Re: How big is your system?

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

We have a 5kW/hr system. 24 Sanyo HIT panels and a SunnyBoy inverter. We just passed our 2nd year anniversary with solar. Output covers all our home electricity and all our Leaf usage (11,000 miles/yr) and we now get a credit of a couple of hundred dollars for over production. We don't have A/C in the house but don't need it since we are on the coast and we upgraded all lights and just about anything that uses electricity over the last 5 five years as things have worn out. If I had to do it over again I'd do 30 or 32 panels to have enough for two electric cars.

-john

gregersonke
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:52 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Oct 2011

Re: How big is your system?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Uccello wrote:We have a 5kW/hr system. 24 Sanyo HIT panels and a SunnyBoy inverter. We just passed our 2nd year anniversary with solar. Output covers all our home electricity and all our Leaf usage (11,000 miles/yr) and we now get a credit of a couple of hundred dollars for over production. We don't have A/C in the house but don't need it since we are on the coast and we upgraded all lights and just about anything that uses electricity over the last 5 five years as things have worn out. If I had to do it over again I'd do 30 or 32 panels to have enough for two electric cars.

-john
The Sanyo panels are really the best panels to get especially in the hotter areas of the country. We did some testing and found that as the weather gets hotter the Sanyo ones would produce 15-20 watts more power than all the other brands of the same wattage rating did.
Kevin Gregerson | Field Energy Advisor- Home Depot South Bay | SolarCity
A ship is safe in harbor-- but that's not what ships are for.
-John A. Shedd

Return to “Solar”