shay
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3285

Re: What did you pay per watt DC for solar?

Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 am

Cheezmo wrote:I've only seen prepaid leases offered in TX.

I have been quoted just under $14k for a 7kW system which is pretty much break even for me after 20 years. Still getting quotes and talking to people hopeful something can be worked out with a decent ROI, because I'd really like to do it.

Biggest problem for me is that my electricity is already 7.3 cents/kwH (yes that is monthly total bill / meter reading), so where the ROI may be much better for people who haven't shopped around in this area and are paying over 11 cents., for me it is tight.
The electric rates in Texas are tied to natural gas rates which are very low right now. IMHO until TOU comes into play, solar in Texas will not cost effective. I suspect we will start seeing many more plans with TOU once the roll out of is complete: http://www.oncor.com/tech_reliable/smar ... _metro.pdf.

jspearman
Delivery Date: 20 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5954

Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 am

We also did the Sunpower prepaid lease and our 15.3kW system came to around $1.15 per watt. $1.27 if we buy it out at year 7. It all depends on how much incentives are, so results will vary, but the lease was a screaming deal for us, and the ROI will be very quick.

craigmartell
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 008312

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:07 am

Purchased system outright. Not a lease.
5.52 kW system.
$3.79/watt before rebates.
$2.51/watt after rebates.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:53 pm

craigmartell wrote:Purchased system outright. Not a lease.
5.52 kW system.
Nice job, you DIY or that installation too? That's within 10% of my $3.32/watt last fall for 4.83kW microinverter self installed.

craigmartell

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:35 pm

QueenBee wrote:
craigmartell wrote:Purchased system outright. Not a lease.
5.52 kW system.
Nice job, you DIY or that installation too? That's within 10% of my $3.32/watt last fall for 4.83kW microinverter self installed.

This includes installation and monitoring. The installer is Mark Davis (http://www.mothernaturesolar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). He's installing:

23 Canadian Solar CS6P 240P panels
23 Enphase M215 micro inverters.

Craig

QueenBee

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm

craigmartell wrote:This includes installation and monitoring. The installer is Mark Davis (http://www.mothernaturesolar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). He's installing:

23 Canadian Solar CS6P 240P panels
23 Enphase M215 micro inverters.
That's awesome!! Very similar to mine. 21x CS6P-230P's with M215 inverters. Looks like those you panels are now at least 15% cheaper than when I bought last fall and the inverters almost 10% cheaper.

This quote from their website describes EXACTLY how I feel. It's very encouraging to see that someone is out there trying to install these systems as cost efficiently as possible. When I was doing it the cheapest I could find was $5.5 a watt and that wasn't with Enphase inverters so I decided to tackle it myself.

"The average installed price of a residential solar electric system by solar companies in California this year- Jan 1 thru April 3, 2012- was $6.16 per watt (per the California Solar Initiative). Pretty ridiculous, as we broke the $5 per watt barrier last year, and now we've broken the $4 per watt barrier."

craigmartell

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 pm

QueenBee wrote:This quote from their website describes EXACTLY how I feel. It's very encouraging to see that someone is out there trying to install these systems as cost efficiently as possible. When I was doing it the cheapest I could find was $5.5 a watt and that wasn't with Enphase inverters so I decided to tackle it myself.

"The average installed price of a residential solar electric system by solar companies in California this year- Jan 1 thru April 3, 2012- was $6.16 per watt (per the California Solar Initiative). Pretty ridiculous, as we broke the $5 per watt barrier last year, and now we've broken the $4 per watt barrier."
Agreed. He came by for lunch yesterday and we finalized the deal. I was very impressed by his attitude, knowledge and goals. He is really on a mission to provide affordable solar. So far, I recommend him highly. I will keep the forum posted as the installation goes forward and alert you to any issues. My guess is that it will go smoothly, though.

Craig

QueenBee

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm

craigmartell wrote:Agreed. He came by for lunch yesterday and we finalized the deal. I was very impressed by his attitude, knowledge and goals. He is really on a mission to provide affordable solar. So far, I recommend him highly. I will keep the forum posted as the installation goes forward and alert you to any issues. My guess is that it will go smoothly, though.

Craig
This is an industry that I feel needs more people like that.

BTW: Nice choice on the Enphase microinverters. The cabling and inverters might cost a bit more but at least for me designing the system was so much easier, no concerns about the shading, no big inverters in the garage/side of the house, 25 year warranty to match the panel warranty, for installation was a lot simpler and as the owner of the system there is nothing like being able to monitor the system at the panel level.

They've got a new enlighten site coming soon that's supposed to be even better than this: http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/publ ... /2Kkg31401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one thing I want them to add is a module for the Envoy (The computer that you connect to your network which talks to the inverters and relays teh information to the internet) that will do power consumption monitoring.

craigmartell

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:27 am

QueenBee wrote:
craigmartell wrote:Agreed. He came by for lunch yesterday and we finalized the deal. I was very impressed by his attitude, knowledge and goals. He is really on a mission to provide affordable solar. So far, I recommend him highly. I will keep the forum posted as the installation goes forward and alert you to any issues. My guess is that it will go smoothly, though.

Craig
This is an industry that I feel needs more people like that.

BTW: Nice choice on the Enphase microinverters. The cabling and inverters might cost a bit more but at least for me designing the system was so much easier, no concerns about the shading, no big inverters in the garage/side of the house, 25 year warranty to match the panel warranty, for installation was a lot simpler and as the owner of the system there is nothing like being able to monitor the system at the panel level.

They've got a new enlighten site coming soon that's supposed to be even better than this: http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/publ ... /2Kkg31401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one thing I want them to add is a module for the Envoy (The computer that you connect to your network which talks to the inverters and relays teh information to the internet) that will do power consumption monitoring.

I am pretty sure my Mother Nature Solar install includes the Envoy as well. He said he is paying extra for the computer that connects the panels to the internet.

Craig

shrink
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21842

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 pm

I did a Sunpower Solar lease last year, but I don't think they offer the terms any more.

I prepaid a 20-year lease on a 6.9kWh system for $7,186. In year 7, there is a buy out option of $926 (not long before I'll probably need a new inverter) for a total of $8,112.

So, $8112 / 6900 W = $1.17/Watt.

They needed programs like this to keep making solar more accessible. However, when I tried to get an additional 2.8 kWh system installed a couple of months later, my installer here in AZ said the program was no longer being offered. The IRS wasn't happy with the leasing company taking a 30% tax credit based on a full price system that was actually selling for about 80% less.
2011 LEAF (Sold) | 2012 Volt (Sold) | 2012 LEAF (Lease Ended) | 2010 Tesla Roadster #501 | 2013 Tesla Model S #9001 | 6.827 kW SunPower PV System

Return to “Solar”