GM Adds 8.15 Megawatts of Solar Power in Germany

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

GM Adds 8.15 Megawatts of Solar Power in Germany
Russelsheim now one of largest solar arrays in Europe
2012-08-17

RUSSELSHEIM, Germany – General Motors is moving closer to doubling its global solar output with the addition of an 8.15-megawatt solar array on the rooftop of the Opel Rüsselsheim facility in Germany. The array – one of the largest in Europe – is equivalent to the area of 32 soccer fields.

The array will generate approximately 7.3 million kW hours from sunlight. This represents a CO2 reduction of approximately 3,150 tons per year, or equal to the amount of carbon isolated annually by 609 acres of pine forests.

“When we announced last year our plans to double our global solar power output by the end of 2015, we had large projects like this in mind,” said Mike Robinson, GM vice president, Sustainability and Global Regulatory Affairs. “And it is because of this type of progress that we are committed to increasing renewable energy use to 125 megawatts by 2020.”

Combined with the other European installations in GM’s solar footprint in Kaiserslautern, Germany, and Zaragoza, Spain, GM will be capable of producing 19.1 million kilowatt hours of electricity – equivalent to the avoidance of 8,200 tons of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere. That’s the same amount of carbon sequestered annually by 1,586 acres of pine forests.
<snip>
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Aug/0817_Opel_Solar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been to Germany recently, my first trip since 2005 and i am astonished how much solar panels have grown here, houses, barns, store roofs, they are everywhere!
Farmers apperently have converted whole fields into "panel farms"

klapauzius said:
I have been to Germany recently, my first trip since 2005 and i am astonished how much solar panels have grown here, houses, barns, store roofs, they are everywhere!

As much as I support solar, converting open fields into "panel farms" does not seem wise. Unless one is able to still grow foodstuff under "high enough" panels.

Phoenix said:
klapauzius said:

As much as I support solar, converting open fields into "panel farms" does not seem wise. Unless one is able to still grow foodstuff under "high enough" panels.
Germany has a very generous incentive system with basically no caps on incentives and a guaranteed price for every kWH produced. Combined with high energy costs for conventional electricity (I believe at around 20 euro cents (24 c at current exchange rates), this must make it very attractive to convert large areas into solar farms.

I am very curious how this pans out, as there is some unhappiness about the fact that the incentives are paid for by the average consumer, who has to pay ~ 5-7 c per kWH to finance all this.
On the upside, Germany is well on target to get some 57 GW installed by 2016 (or 2020...?).

klapauzius said:
I am very curious how this pans out, as there is some unhappiness about the fact that the incentives are paid for by the average consumer, who has to pay ~ 5-7 c per kWH to finance all this.
On the upside, Germany is well on target to get some 57 GW installed by 2016 (or 2020...?).
I am curious what will happen as more and more of the total load is moved to renewables. There have been many projections about issues which will arise as the fraction gets to 20% or so. I'm interested to see what actually occurs and how Germany deals with the issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2hU17p2xjU[/youtube]

Fast forward to 4:40 for 40MW PV plant on former Soviet airfield in Leipzig...More than 700,000 thin-film panels installed.

Link to Google Map of solar farm:
http://goo.gl/maps/Lbg4m

AndyH said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2hU17p2xjU[/youtube]

Fast forward to 4:40 for 40MW PV plant on former Soviet airfield in Leipzig...More than 700,000 thin-film panels installed.

Link to Google Map of solar farm:
http://goo.gl/maps/Lbg4m

I have seen plenty of those during my trip.

On the downside:
Almost every other car in Germany is a Diesel.
I have seen zero Leafs.

One major issue, apart from charging, I see is that if you drive on the Autobahn, at speeds below 100 Km/h (i.e. ~60 mph), people will just run over you. Especially those Audis and BMWs, which wont tolerate anything less than 200 Km/h (130 mph) on the left lane. So with the Leaf you can either choose to drive behind all the trucks (which are limited to 50 mph), or go as fast as you can (and at 95 mph, you will still find that most people consider you an obstacle to traffic flow) and see your range drop like capacity in Arizona.
Needless to say that driving at top speed wont do any good for battery life also.

klapauzius said:
I have seen plenty of those during my trip.

On the downside:
Almost every other car in Germany is a Diesel.
I have seen zero Leafs.

One major issue, apart from charging, I see is that if you drive on the Autobahn, at speeds below 100 Km/h (i.e. ~60 mph), people will just run over you. Especially those Audis and BMWs, which wont tolerate anything less than 200 Km/h (130 mph) on the left lane. So with the Leaf you can either choose to drive behind all the trucks (which are limited to 50 mph), or go as fast as you can (and at 95 mph, you will still find that most people consider you an obstacle to traffic flow) and see your range drop like capacity in Arizona.
Needless to say that driving at top speed wont do any good for battery life also.
A Leaf on the Autobahn is the wrong tool for the job, that's for sure! The RX-7 I owned when I lived in the Republic topped out at 123 mph - and there were plenty of cars happy to have me out of the fast lane.

Could the starting quote be accurate - that half of all the PV ever produced is in service in Germany?

From the Frauenhofer research institute (which also brought us mp3) report about renewable energy in Germany for 2011:

Renewable contribution to electricity generation:

all renewables 23.4 %
solar 3.8 %

On sunny days: 20% of peak demand by solar

First half of 2012: solar contribution to electricity generation 5.3%
Installed peak power 2011: Germany 25 GW (worldwide 70 GW, so ~ 35%)

Given the northern latitudes, that is not too bad.
If the US wanted to, they could power everything with solar in the next 20 years...

Back