AlanC

LEAF low sales and lack of advertising

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:20 am

In researching the LEAF, I've found something that kind of bothered me. There are barely any ads for the LEAF. It seems obvious this would affect sales numbers. As well as the LEAF has been doing amongst EV cars, it's still a tiny fraction of total car sales.

The lack of national ads is one thing (in Canada I haven't seen any), but even on the local, back-of-newspapers level, Nissan dealerships list all their cars EXCEPT the LEAF.

In talking to a few salespeople, they are very unenthusiastic about selling the car, and I've found most aren't very knowledgeable, even though they have to go through a LEAF training course to be able to sell them. One of them told me they don't make much money on them, so it's less of an incentive to spend time trying to sell them. Shouldn't this be a concern for Nissan as a company?

Has anyone experienced similar lack of enthusiasm/help at Dealerships?

I can only speak about a few here in Vancouver, BC.

asimba2
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2014

Re: LEAF low sales and lack of advertising

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am

Nissan heavily advertises the Altima, Rogue and Leaf on prime time tv in my area.

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 am

AlanC wrote:In researching the LEAF, I've found something that kind of bothered me. There are barely any ads for the LEAF. It seems obvious this would affect sales numbers. As well as the LEAF has been doing amongst EV cars, it's still a tiny fraction of total car sales.
Most every thing you said has been discussed here before. As for the slow sales, I'm not sure that is a problem anymore. From what I understand they are actually having trouble keeping up production to match demand. So they probably don't see any need to spend more advertising money.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

AlanC

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:33 pm

adric22 wrote:
AlanC wrote:In researching the LEAF, I've found something that kind of bothered me. There are barely any ads for the LEAF. It seems obvious this would affect sales numbers. As well as the LEAF has been doing amongst EV cars, it's still a tiny fraction of total car sales.
Most every thing you said has been discussed here before. As for the slow sales, I'm not sure that is a problem anymore. From what I understand they are actually having trouble keeping up production to match demand. So they probably don't see any need to spend more advertising money.
I definitely see ads for the Nissan Rogue all the time, and I believe that's one of their top sellers. In the States, you guys have a federal and often a state incentive for EVs. In Canada, there's only 2 provinces that have a similar rebate/incentive, so it's possible nationally they don't get the bang for the buck. However, it's disappointing on the local level that it's not really pushed. Again, this could be a uniquely Canadian thing. We're supposed to be a GREEN country, damn it!

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

AlanC wrote:I definitely see ads for the Nissan Rogue all the time, and I believe that's one of their top sellers. In the States, you guys have a federal and often a state incentive for EVs. In Canada, there's only 2 provinces that have a similar rebate/incentive, so it's possible nationally they don't get the bang for the buck. However, it's disappointing on the local level that it's not really pushed. Again, this could be a uniquely Canadian thing. We're supposed to be a GREEN country, damn it!
And you got so much water power you even call your electricity, "hydro". You should be up to your keisters in LEAFs. :mrgreen:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

AlanC

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Nubo wrote: And you got so much water power you even call your electricity, "hydro". You should be up to your keisters in LEAFs. :mrgreen:

You'd think! Vancouver actually has an action plan of being the "Greenest City in the World" by 2020. They've made strides with incentives for city facilities (recreation centres, libraries, public parks) and new building developments to add L2 EV charging stations. There's well over 100 stations (barely used) in the central part of Vancouver already, so hopefully it's a case of "If we build it, they will come" and buy more EVs!

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Have the BC Ferries added chargers to any of the ships yet? Seems an ideal place to catch a few miles of charging while crossing the straits.
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

evken
Delivery Date: 05 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 008233

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:15 pm

As far as last week there are no chargers on BC ferries or at the terminals.

bps88
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2014

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:21 pm

the dealership i had leased mine from (401 Dixie) can;t keep them in stock. Not all dealership locations carry them and those who don't i found did not want to refer me to who had one ( Brampton dealerships that is). the sales person i dealt with at 410 dixie was actually very knowledgeable and thorough, when i picked up my leaf 2 days ago they also had 2-3 other 2015's going out the door that same day. It took me 1 week on rush to get mine so seems to be selling yet I agree it could be promoted more.

donald
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2013

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Pretty poor EV sales in UK, and I've barely seen any adverts for any.

Saw a few for the BMW i8 at launch - and they sold out!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had a TV advert every day on several channels for a few weeks. They're selling like hot cakes.

Never seen an advert for Renault ZE yet. Sales are abysmal. Fluence has already been dropped.

.. I think there is a message/trend there. Makes you wonder if these companies really want to sell EVs at all.

Return to “Canada”