sendler2112
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2016
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Re: Winter Tires

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 am

I went with the General Altimax Arctic 12 since they had them locally for $50 each less than the Michelin X Ice and I needed them that day to get home safely. But they seem to flat spot every night with some vibration until they warm up. I have used the Michelin on my Honda Fit with great grip and longevity so I recommend paying the extra money for them if you plan on keeping the car.

roger1818
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 315029

Re: Winter Tires

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Titanium48 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 pm
I got the Xi3s and I am happy with them. I think there is still a small loss of efficiency with them, but it is hard to say exactly how much because the temperature usually changes significantly at around the same time the tires get changed. There is a massive difference in traction in cold, snowy conditions though. The OEM tires are awful in the snow, even when compared to other all seasons.
I went with 205/60R16, as they are a better match than 205/55R16 to the diameter of the stock 215/50R17. I also prefer the bigger sidewalls when the potholes start to appear in the early spring. Ideally I would like to use 205/60R16 in summer and 195/70R15 in winter, but 15 inch wheels won't fit and it isn't worth changing the 17 inch wheels the car came with.
My original post (which got deleted) had that same question about tire size. I ended up going with the P205/55R16 (the same as the S trim) Xi3 tires on my 2019 SV, as I felt it would give more room for snow buildup in the wheel wells, but I did also think about ground clearance and bigger sidewalls (for potholes). So far I haven't had any issues with them, but we have only had small accumulations of snow so far this year (less than 10cm at a time). I do like the way the Leaf handles in the snow though.
2019 Leaf SV
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

superfunkomatic
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019

Re: Winter Tires

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:26 pm

I normally buy Nokian winter tires but thought I’d try something new. Here in Canada OKTire has Black Lion winter tires. I got the W506 with studs installed and on steel rims for about $1000. They have worked really well so far.

roger1818
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 315029

Re: Winter Tires

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am

superfunkomatic wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:26 pm
I normally buy Nokian winter tires but thought I’d try something new. Here in Canada OKTire has Black Lion winter tires. I got the W506 with studs installed and on steel rims for about $1000. They have worked really well so far.
Where in Canada are you? Here in Ontario, it is illegal to use studded tires.
2019 Leaf SV
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

jjeff
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Winter Tires

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 am

roger1818 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am
superfunkomatic wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:26 pm
I normally buy Nokian winter tires but thought I’d try something new. Here in Canada OKTire has Black Lion winter tires. I got the W506 with studs installed and on steel rims for about $1000. They have worked really well so far.
Where in Canada are you? Here in Ontario, it is illegal to use studded tires.
Actually in parts of Northern Ontario studded tires are not only allowed but encouraged. Friends we visit north of Lake Superior told me it's a law that they have at least winter(not A/S) tires and again many have studs.
Studded tires are illegal in MN and I'd assume southern Ontairo where you might be?
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

roger1818
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 315029

Re: Winter Tires

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:22 pm

jjeff wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 am
roger1818 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am
superfunkomatic wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:26 pm
I normally buy Nokian winter tires but thought I’d try something new. Here in Canada OKTire has Black Lion winter tires. I got the W506 with studs installed and on steel rims for about $1000. They have worked really well so far.
Where in Canada are you? Here in Ontario, it is illegal to use studded tires.
Actually in parts of Northern Ontario studded tires are not only allowed but encouraged. Friends we visit north of Lake Superior told me it's a law that they have at least winter(not A/S) tires and again many have studs.
Studded tires are illegal in MN and I'd assume southern Ontairo where you might be?
Interesting. I hadn't heard that before. According to the MTO's website:
Studded Tires:
  • are allowed on vehicles registered in Northern Ontario
  • are not allowed in Southern Ontario, unless you’re visiting from out-of-province or a resident of Northern Ontario
I'm actually in Eastern Ontario, but we tend to get lumped in with Southern Ontario from a regulatory standpoint, even though our weather conditions are closer to those in Northern Ontario.
2019 Leaf SV
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

superfunkomatic
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019

Re: Winter Tires

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Alberta. Not illegal here. They make a big difference on icy streets.
roger1818 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am
Where in Canada are you? Here in Ontario, it is illegal to use studded tires.

Return to “Canada”