The Canadian International AutoShow - Toronto

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewy13

Not entirely sure how many forum members are from Canada but The Canadian International AutoShow is going on right now until the 27th. Not exactly a big car person but according to Nissan Canada's site they'd be there until tomorrow, so I decided to turn my lazy day into a car show day but mainly I just wanted to see the LEAF.

Seeing the car in person is much different than any of the photos you could find on the internet, but that goes for anything you see on the computer verses real life but I still like it, just didn't realize the headlights stuck out as much as they do.

Anyways, disappointed started when I was unable to sit in the car or even get a good look in it for that matter. Nissan had two representatives there; one man and one woman. The woman was busy talking with a couple people so I decided to ask the other representative as he didn't seem busy. After my first question I already had a distaste in my mouth, he was very rude, condescending, clearly had NO interest in this car and had all the wrong information. After I asked some more basic questions that I already knew the answers to it became very clear that he was going to be of no help to me. So I asked him if I could get a photo or two of me in the car? NO. Can I take a look inside the interior of the car? NO. Can you show me the headlights and car sound system? Hesitantly he said he'd show me the headlights but he wasn't going to play the stereo. Headlights were nothing impressive but he didn't seem to understand that there's a difference between high-beams and low-beams so I didn't get to see much besides the running lights (because that's all you need according to him).

After I was done with him and re-registered for e-mail updates at the terminals they had there, the lady was free so I decided to ask her the same questions that I asked him. She knew more but I was still surprised how uninformed these people were, BUT she was receptive to the things I had to say and was actually quite surprised how much interest I've taken into this vehicle. I asked her about a photo opportunity and she told me the same thing as the guy however she told me that even they aren't allowed to step in or out of the vehicle or take photos of them in the car.

I visited the other two electric cars they had there which were the Smart Four-Two and the Volt (Yes it's a hybrid but still it's a step towards). I really liked the Smart Four-Two, it's a nice small car that would be great if it's lease price wasn't $550/month considering the LEAF or Volt are going for around $350/month and have nicer interiors. The Volt was nice too but I can't compare it to the LEAF considering I didn't actually get to sit in the LEAF. What I can compare is; it seems like General Motors actually want to sell their vehicle whereas Nissan couldn't care, atleast that's the impression I got. The Volt had several representatives but the main representative was extremely friendly, took all sorts of questions and just was all around great. My impression of the Volt has defiantly been changed today, and the looks of the car are more appealing when it's there in front of you.

Anyways, that was my experience today. Wondering if there's any other forum members here who've attended or plan to attend. Also wondering if I should e-mail Nissan about this particular event and the experience I had, because honestly this would be nothing but bad press for the car. I have no idea what it takes to be a representative for this car but I'm sure anyone of us here would do a much better job than who they hired for this show and I for one would love to be one so that people like me don't have a bad taste in their mouth because of bad representatives.

I had a very similar experience when I went to the Montreal International Auto show in January. The last time I went to a car show I was in University (I'm now 36). Even though I like to read about cars, I've never bought a new car. The Leaf may change that. The car show was a two hour drive for me and the only reason I went was to see the Leaf in person. I knew the representatives would be of no use so I didn't question them. The car was roped off and I could only barely see inside. The lady did come to me asking if I had any questions for which my friend said, "he knows everything there is to know about the Leaf". I heard a couple ask when we could buy one and she said fall 2011 for which I said "yeah right!!"

It was quite disappointing, especially compared the Volt which was fully available to everyone.

Wow, that really disappoints me. Makes me wonder if Nissan really wants to sell this car or not. I was told that the reason why I couldn't sit in the car is "because if you break something we can't get another one/it'll be expensive to ship another one". What's the point of having the car there if you can't properly view it and is the car seriously that fragile? All I wanted was a photo of me in the car so I could have a new Facebook profile picture, but even that wouldn't entice them. You'd think they'd want as much free press and exposure as possible? :?

I certainly hope Nissan just tripped over their feat here and that the next round of the LEAF being showcased will be much more positive. Sitting in the car would be nice, test drives might be asking for much but eventually they'll be doing their American version of the "Electric Tour"...right? Hoping some of my concerns will be addressed in Nissan's reply to my e-mail, I've never felt so compelled to write to a corporation before but I seriously want this brought to their attention...if they'll even care :|

We are due to receive our LEAF the week of March 14th. We have been interested in the LEAF for about a year and a half. In December 2009 we went to a similar demonstration of the LEAF at a local shopping mall in Phoenix, AZ. Just like you, the model was a prototype and we weren't allowed to get past the barriers. However, because we had signed up for the event as soon as it was announced, we did get two LEAF T-shirts. The rep we had then was very knowledgable and I came away with a lot more information and even more enthusiasm for owning one.

I tend to think that Nissan hires local people for some of these demonstrations and then gives them a set script to follow instead of having the first team engineers travel all around North America. Hang in there. In our case because we are so close to California I think we got some full-time Nissan employees which proved to be far superior to your experience.

I once saw a charter from, oddly enough, the Princess Cruise Line that said to each of its employees that they held the reputation of the Cruise Line in their hands each time they dealt with a passenger. Nissan has spent so much money in the development and marketing of the LEAF I guess they didn't have the funds left to have their first string team make the trip to Canada.

If the car turns out anything like other members of the blog that have received theirs then I'll be happy.

This sounds like an execution issue in Canada. In most cases, the local marketing team would be responsible for the experience and the rules regarding the car. I am guessing the Canadian team has only the vehicles they were given and sees no advantage in having them 'damaged' way before the release in Canada. Was that a smart decision? No. Of course the US roll out has other problems, so I do not mean to imply anything uniquely negative about the Canadian treatment.

I would definitely write Nissan about your (bad) impressions.

Well clearly Nissan needs to spend a bit more money and hire proper representatives that will give this car the proper press it deserves. Either that or just reshuffled who they have for reps for this car. I think anyone of us on these forums would makes a MUCH greater representative, but I guess if you're passionate about something that's just how it's going to work.

As for Princess Cruise Line; that's exactly what Nissan should be doing with this car because I'm seriously thrown off by my experience. If it weren't for me lurking these forums, along with this active community, I don't think I'd give this car another look. So I just imagine the everyday consumer's experience and worry there's a lot of damage being done here.

Hopefully when Nissan decides to do their Electric Test Drive here in Canada they'll have the engineers or experienced, informed and friendly representatives.

I've written Nissan Canada, so far no reply and I'm not entirely sure if I should be expecting one. Not because of the content of my letter, rather I just doubt a car company is going to listen to one consumer, never mind have a conversation with a single consumer.
Not sure if I should take extra time to keep editing and expand on my original letter if I don't get a reply within a period of time from Nissan or if I should bother because it won't make a difference.

It just sucks to be told your country is in line for this vehicle but when and where they don't know, oh and you can't touch it...just look then move along.

Thanks for everyone's input and time. :)

Interesting, VERY interesting. I wasn't impressed by the default Blue they have for the LEAF (not meaning to offend anyone, just not my choice), but it'd be nice to see that one in person. Red two but it's rare enough for it to even be here in Canada so guess you can't ask for much more. However it would be awesome if the owner was a member here, would love to get in contact with that person to see this vehicle in person if possible. Glad there's one in the "Great White North" :lol: because I hate when people say that Electric Vehicles won't work up here. Thinking about it however, that wouldn't have the cold climate package would it? I'd still want that because steering wheels get COLD here some mornings.

Update
When I went to the AutoShow the first time I bought a multi-day pass which allows you to go two days for $30 as opposed to one day @ $20. Must say it was a MUCH better than before. Seems like even though it's the weekend, most people had made the trip to the show and it wasn't as busy compared to my first visit so I got to take more photos with my iPod.

After doing the usual tour of the exotics and "classics" I went straight to the general AutoShow floor for Average "Joe/Jane" vehicles and went to Nissan's booth right away. Glad I did because when I got there the first thing I noticed was that the car was no longer roped off and somebody was sitting inside. :shock: I asked why we were now allowed in the vehicle as opposed to before and the answer I got was that head office phoned and told them to allow people in because they had some complaints about it being off limits. Glad that we were heard and they reversed their decision. So when I finally got my chance to sit inside I did and was I ever impressed! Feels great inside, adjusted the seat to how I like to sit, played with the pedals, "gear" shifter and I don't know what else I can say; can't wait to test drive this vehicle nevermind own/lease one. :cool:

Feeling like I should write another letter to Nissan telling them about this positive experience, even though I haven't received a letter from them yet regarding my first letter. The only thing I found somewhat shocking is that the representatives working at the LEAF section are all from a marketing company that was just given a quick briefing about the car. So I guess you were right ERG4ALL. That's too bad, but I guess how else would it be done? Might mention to Nissan that they should considering putting a bit more money into their marketing department and actually have one person that knows a lot about this car among the several general representatives they have at any viewings across Canada.

Anyways, thought I'd update you all on it. :)

kolmstead said:
You Toronto folks should keep your eyes open. Rumor has it that there is a black, privately owned LEAF in your city. Somehow, it escaped from the USA.
Isn't Statik's, rt ?

head office phoned and told them to allow people in

That's not FAIR! :evil:

I've been following all Leaf developments since Nissan announced it! This will probably be my first NEW car (unless Nissan jacks up the price in Canada like they did in the UK). My garage never goes below freezing so I am not at all worried about the effects of the cold (-20c) on the batteries. My car is 15 years old and is getting tired. I need my LEAF!!!

Sorry muus, just happened to be lucky I guess.
Plus you know what they say about Toronto; Center of the Universe, so clearly they had to make an exception :lol: ;) but perhaps they got bad feedback from both shows so now every other tour will have an open to public viewing? So while you get the short end of the stick, the rest of Canada will have a better experience. Weird considering Montreal would be a major city for Nissan to get a market since it's one of the provinces to get the LEAF first...lucky :evil:

As for the pricing; it's going up.
My real question is by how much? I imagine with all the demand in America, never mind the strain on the other markets in the world...there's a lot of variables. I'm just hoping Nissan will surprise me for the third time and price it competitively in the Canadian market.
I myself have been trying to budget out the LEAF and am debating between buying or leasing. It's unclear if leasing will get Ontario's electric vehicle ($8,500) rebate so that makes it difficult. Also, if Nissan carries out with its other electric vehicles I might consider those instead of the LEAF as I'm not looking for an family car but rather a commuter car whether "sports" (ESFLOW) or compact (Renault Zoe?), so leasing would be much more favored compared to purchase. Plus who knows where electric vehicles will be in three years?

Either way; I want my first vehicle to be electric so the LEAF is the answer for today.

Well with the Canadian dollar being above par with the US (barely), I'm hopping (for a miracle) that Nissan will price the Leaf the same as in the US. Quebec has an $8000 tax rebate similar to the tax rebate in the US so if they can offer the same lease ($350) then I will definitely lease. If they price it too high, I will wait and then go shopping south of the border.

Stewy13 said:
Feeling like I should write another letter to Nissan telling them about this positive experience, even though I haven't received a letter from them yet regarding my first letter.

If I worked for Nissan - I'd certainly appreciate getting that second letter. I'm sure the person/people who read the letters get pumped when someone writes and says something good - especially if they may have helped resolve the situation positively.

@LakeLeaf
Yeah, I wrote them shortly after posting that. Told them how much it changed my view and opinion of the vehicle because I was able to actually sit in it, and pretty much just said that I was excited again for this vehicle and couldn't wait til they come back for test drives, thanks for stopping by.

@muus
True, our dollar is quite high...but I could see there still be an additional cost due to the "Cold Weather Package". Not sure if you'd want to go shopping south of the border if it lacks that. I'm certainly hoping it's competitive with the US price, the provincial electric vehicle rebates in Canada will be a nice knock off the initial price. Just wish the federal government would chip in to put another dent in the price.

The cold weather package will also be required in northern states and will probably be an extra cost option, I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with having to pay several thousands more for the exact same car.

I purchased a new ATV in NY and saved several thousand dollars. I also purchased a Kubota tractor in NJ and saved $7000. If Nissan tries to jack-up the price in Canada like they did in the UK, I will have no issues with going across the border.

muus said:
Well with the Canadian dollar being above par with the US (barely), I'm hopping (for a miracle) that Nissan will price the Leaf the same as in the US. Quebec has an $8000 tax rebate similar to the tax rebate in the US so if they can offer the same lease ($350) then I will definitely lease. If they price it too high, I will wait and then go shopping south of the border.

Do you have a link to government information on the QC incentive? I've seen it mentioned in several press articles but haven't been able to find anything further.

LindsayNB said:
Do you have a link to government information on the QC incentive?

Took me a while to find but here it is:

http://www.revenu.gouv.qc.ca/en/ministere/centre_information/nf/2009/vehicule_neuf_eco.aspx

this credit will, depending on the year, be $2,000 for the acquisition of a vehicle with a gasoline consumption rating of 3 to 5.27 litres per 100 kilometres and $8,000 for a vehicle that uses no fuel.

(obviously translated from french - litres - kilometres)

Back