Lobbying for EV Incentives in BC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterMiller

I haven't seen any other organized campaigns so I started on my own. I would encourage all others who are eager to start the EV ball rolling to do the same. Here's the text that I used to send e-mails to My MLA the Ministers of Transport and the Environment and to Premier Christy Clark.

Dear ..............:

I have just read that:

In Canada, Ontario established a rebate between $5,000 to $8,500, depending on battery size, for purchasing or leasing a new plug-in electric vehicle after July 1, 2010. The rebates will be available to the first 10,000 applicants who qualify. The province will also introduce green-coloured licence plates for exclusive use of plug-in hybrids and battery electric vehicles. These unique green vehicle plates will allow PEV owners to travel in the province's carpool lanes until 2015 regardless of the number of passenger is in the vehicle. Also, owners are eligible to use recharging stations at GO Transit and other provincially-owned parking lots.

Quebec will offer rebates of up to $8,500, beginning on January 1, 2012, for the purchase of new plug-in electric vehicles equipped with a minimum of 4 kWh battery, and new hybrid electric vehicles are eligible for a CAD 1,000 rebate. All-electric vehicles with high-capacity battery packs will be eligible for the full $8,000 rebate, and incentives are reduced for low-range electric cars and plug-in hybrids. Quebec's government earmarked $50 million for the program, and the maximum rebate amount is slowly reduced every year until a maximum of $3,000 in 2015, but the rebates will continue until the fund runs out. There is also a ceiling for the maximum number of eligible vehicles: 10,000 for all-electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids, and 5,000 for conventional hybrids.

Is there any chance that BC will follow suit?

Sincerely.

I also sent the minister of transportation a letter. I said the cev program in BC is a joke. EV's should at least have free access to hov lanes.

There have been developments, since I wrote and posted that 'boiler-plate' letter last year.
The Provincial Government introduced the $5,000 rebate on the purchase price of an EV late last year and BC Hydro has been installing charging stations in various public parking spots.
Yes, I'd also welcome more evidence that Governments at all three levels are encouraging alternative fuelled vehicles (I saw a full sized electric delivery truck, recently) by waiving the restrictions on HOV lanes and even permitting EVs to park free-of-charge. These measures would demonstrate to 'Joe Public' that there are many other perks to be gained by being an EV owner than simply the savings on fuel and maintenance.

I asked the minister to consider allowing EV's free access to toll bridges and hov lanes. Here's his reply. I lol'd at the comment about our hov lanes becoming congested.

Thank you for your e-mail of May 23, 2012, regarding electric vehicle incentives, charging stations, tolling exemptions and High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane access.

Encouraging electric and low emission vehicle use is a priority for the provincial government, so I appreciate your feedback about the Clean Energy Vehicle Program and your suggestion to install charging stations on major routes. As both the rebate program and installation of charging stations in the province fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Environment, I have taken the liberty of sharing your e-mail with my colleague, the Honourable Terry Lake, Minister of Environment, for his information.

Concerning your suggestion that electric vehicles be allowed in HOV lanes, the ministry has considered the possibility of allowing single occupant, low emission vehicles access to these lanes. In an analysis of other jurisdictions, however, ministry staff found this practice resulted in HOV lane congestion, reducing the lanes’ effectiveness in encouraging ride-sharing among commuters, which is also an important way to decrease congestion and emissions. As such, the ministry has decided not to proceed with this option.

Tolls also encourage a shift to congestion-fighting alternatives such as public transit, HOV use and cycling, thereby moderating traffic growth over time. For this same reason, the ministry is not currently considering altering the provincial tolling policy to grant electric vehicles free use of tolled bridges.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Blair Lekstrom
Minister

I'd like to ask anyone from Ontario or California. Are your HOV lanes congested with EV's as the ministry's research seems to indicate?

Well, we'll soon have an opportunity to tell these Ministers what we think of their responses, when we vote at the next election. This is also a good time to ask the NDP MLAs what they would do for us, if/when they become the governing party.

Kev12345 said:
I'd like to ask anyone from Ontario or California. Are your HOV lanes congested with EV's as the ministry's research seems to indicate?
Sounds like they didn't split out EVs from hybrids in their research. If that's the case then their conclusion doesn't surprise me. Before the yellow HOV stickers expired easily half of the cars in the carpool lane on my commute were single occupants in hybrids. That said, when I have to take the S405 I find the carpool lane is only good for a 5-10 minute advantage as it is just as jammed as the other lanes in the morning - even without hybrids allowed in.

Yep, I take the 405 south from the 118 to the 10 for work and the carpool advantage is minimal at best... In October, we'll be moving our operation to Universal City so that grind will be over with then!

Devin said:
That said, when I have to take the S405 I find the carpool lane is only good for a 5-10 minute advantage as it is just as jammed as the other lanes in the morning - even without hybrids allowed in.

Back