Shaka
Delivery Date: 22 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 026665

OHIO - Cleveland - Northeastern Ohio / Midwest

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Pretty sure a few other people on these forums are from NEohio - I'm in Cleveland, suburb of Beachwood. Any other active Cleveland, Ohio members on here? We should meet up for coffee/donuts and chit-chat about the Leaf sometime!

Ari

Shaka

Re: OHIO - Cleveland - Northeastern Ohio / Midwest

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 pm

First charge "in the wild" today. There is a shopping area near University Hospitals and Case Western Reserve University, called Uptown. They just "built it up" (had been old run down shops or what have you). New shops, places to eat, a neat grocery store. After a nice dinner with the wife we stopped by to check it out as my wife had seen the EVSE locations on a prior trip.

Since parking there was free for the first 30minutes we decided to check out the deal. We plugged in the L2 EVSE, expecting to have to swipe our credit card or something but nope -- it just started to charge right away!! So we walked over to the self-pay station, figuring once we keyed in our parking spot was one of the EV spots, it would charge us more. Nope! So we got 30mins of free charging. Not having any reason to stay longer (or pay the $1/hr parking fee), we left. But for the same price to park an ICE, one can park and charge their EV. Granted $1/hr isn't great kWh pricing -- but for parking in that area, really not a bad price even for Cleveland!!

Just wanted to share even though so far I'm the only one posting this in thread LOL

da119
Delivery Date: 29 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 023278

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Ari! Sorry I haven't responded, but I haven't been back to this site for a while. Can you be more specific about where that charging station location is that you took a picture of below?! I have a friend in Coventry who I visit and can't charge because she's in an apartment. This one you found may really help!

THANKS!

David

P.S. Is your LEAF color Glacier Pearl? Mine too.

Shaka

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:03 pm

David,

Let's see how savvy I am with Google Maps. If this works you should get a nice map link here:
http://goo.gl/maps/4yVMH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom line: there is a new Constantino's Market located at 11473 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH. (corner of Euclid Ave & East 115th). There is entrance to the parking lot off E-115th (just North of Euclid). As soon as you enter the parking lot you'll see 4 parking spots for EVs (it will be on your right hand side if you enter there and come around the building). Hope this helps... feel free to send me a private message if you need more details!

Indeed, our LEAF is Glacier White. We have seen only one other LEAF in the wild and it was silver (on Fairmount Blvd) so obviously not yours. We live in Beachwood not far from Coventry area. Too bad the Arabica that was once there is no longer, would be a great place to have a LEAF-gathering! :)

Ari

dqr
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Ari,

This is David from Solon. I just got my white Leaf this month. It's so fun to drive and I can't imagine that I would go back to ICE.

Any idea how many Leaf owners there are in NEOhio? Anyway, we're for sure among the early adopters here.

David

Shaka

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Hey David from Solon. :)

I regularly see a black Leaf and silver Leaf in the Beachwood/Heights area. But they don't ever see/wave back at me sadly. I am sure there are more of them around than we realize, but probably more commuters and not geeks like us who are on here haha!!

You didn't happen to be on Fairmount Blvd a night or two ago did you? Saw a white leaf going the other direction, first time I've seen another white one on the road. Could have been you? Hope to see you around...

If we could get more "users" on here I'd suggest a meet up for coffee and conversation... but alas, our numbers are still small ... haha!

dqr
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am

Thank you for responding, Ari. I was surprised to see your reply because the last post was more than a half year ago.

The white leaf could very well be mine. I drove from Cleveland Heights to Solon several times. I'm pretty sure that our numbers are small, under 100 in the whole NEOhio if I have to guess. But that's going to change pretty soon when the early adopters like us show their families and friends how cool it is to drive an electric car.

A meetup for Leaf owners or even EV drivers is a good idea. Each of the early adopters must have their unique experience to share. I'd volunteer to help if you have something in your mind.

BTW, what do you think of calling ourselves Cleafer ;) ?

da119

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:57 am

Hi again Ari and welcome David!

David - since you're new to the LEAF market in Cleveland, I'll let you know of some charging stations that I know of that may not be "on the map."

First, there's the locations downtown. Ari has posted one a few posts above. It's located at the Uptown development by University Circle. There are actually FOUR chargers behind Constantino's. His directions are spot on. There's also one at the Baker Electric building (E 70th + Euclid, I think). I haven't had good luck there, but supposedly it's fixed.

Out in the suburbs, there is a charger at the McDonald's in Garfield Heights (Rockside Rd). There is also a charger at the First Unitarian Church in Shaker Heights (solar array too!). Besides that, it seems that all Nissan Dealerships also have chargers. I've never had any problems at Ganley Nissan in Mayfield Heights. They leave their parking lot open 24/7 so you can always get a charge if needed.

On another note, have either of you heard of National Plug in Day? http://www.pluginday.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There isn't an event in Cleveland, but there is one in Columbus on September 28th. I'm planning on going (there's a charger in Medina and Mansfield which should allow the trip to be made).

However, we could possibly have an event in Cleveland. I'm not sure what is involved because the events seem organized on a local level but I'd certainly attend and help if others want to help set it up. If not this year...maybe next?

And to answer your question David - I know of a owner in the Mentor area with a red Leaf (Jon). And I recently met a silver owner from Solon (had Wisconsin plates). So with Ari's numbers, that's 7 total. :D
David

Shaka

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 am

So of the three of us on here, two share the name David? Yeah, that won't get confusing (haha!)

That Columbus/plug-in event sounds interesting. Not sure I'd try to make that event, just because technically the Leaf is my wife's car plus we take our 5-year old with us most places. The girls would get bored, no doubt. But still, neat!

Thank you for sharing those charge station locations. I was not aware of the McD's in Garfield Heights. I'll have to remember that, should I ever need it. I have PlugShare app on my iPhone in case I ever needed to quickly see where stations are, and I also signed up for ChargePoint with $20-25 on a pre-paid card, but I don't think there are any near us. Maybe down in Akron/Canton? Either way I've never actually used the CP card, at least, not yet.

My wife/I drive our Leaf daily, and we have about 7500 miles on it thus far since our "purchase" (leased) on 12/28/2012. So we're not quite hitting the 1000 miles per month we get, but we're doing pretty good to get most of our value from the car. We use it primarily, and my diesel VW SUV secondary when needed for longer trips.

I like the "Cleafers" name-- though as a fan of the TV Show Dexter, it seems a bit too close to "Cleavers" and makes me think of the Bay Harbor Butcher or something like that, haha! Still, I do like the name!

As for a meet-up here in Ohio at this point I'd suggest we wait till next year. Rumor has it that they still plan to build some EV ports at the Cleveland Zoo, as well as downtown (near the stadium/science center) and a third, not yet determined, east side location (my guess is that it will be somewhere like Eton, Legacy, or maybe even Acacia Park). I'm thinking if the Zoo manages to get off their arses and install an EV charge station(s) there, we could probably get them to support an EV-day. Maybe discount admission ("group rate") and we could really try to have them help push the event. Maybe on Earth Day? So maybe like an EV/Earth Day GTG. Something like that... April 22nd 2014. Just thinking out loud....

da119

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Haha, right. 2 Davids so far...

I'll write about the event if I end up making it down to Columbus.

I did the chargepoint thing too. You're right, I believe they handle the stations at Walgreens (one in Akron and another in North Canton). The McD's uses Blink (ECOtality) which recently was in talks of going bankrupt. They work the same way except I don't think you have to make a deposit. You can also just go online ahead of time and pay $2.00/hour. With the card, it's $1.00/hour.

Same for me with usage. It's my primary car and I have around 8000 miles I think (about 1,000 a month). It's a great car!

Great idea! I think they have the Earthfest thing each year.

And just for fun, I saw a white Leaf tonight on Chagrin on my way home from work. So...anyone driving on Chagrin tonight? :p
David

Return to “Central USA”