dca
Delivery Date: 19 Nov 2013

Re: OHIO - Cleveland - Northeastern Ohio / Midwest

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am

Hi, Brett and congrats on your 2014 Leaf. As mentioned by Shaka, the temperature and highway speeds can significantly affect range. I noticed the most difference in single digits of last winter. I have a ~30 mi round trip commute, and would be sometimes down to 10 mi on the dash meter by the time I got home. Optimum temp range is ~60-80degF, and the Leaf declares 'low outside temp' at 38 deg F. The 2014 has a slightly higher range than my 2013. I avoided running the heat at all when possible, and just modulated the steering wheel heat as needed to keep my hands warm. If employers would invest in charging stations more, it would not be an issue. You also learn to drive most efficiently in those situations - it makes a big difference.

As for electric, you can request a 'time of day' meter to take advantage of off peak rates.

Don't want to concern you, the Leaf is awesome and one of the best decisions I've ever made. Now I pay about 1/10 of what I paid in gas for my previous vehicle.

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

EDIT: Look into getting a JuiceBox for $150 if you have any confidence in electrical/mechanical assembly. It was a Kick starter project by a Google engineer in CA. It works great for me, and the owner is a great resource. I just reused the EVSE J1772 cable from the stock Nissan charger. Link: http://www.emotorwerks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Central USA”