Sergiov
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2015

Re: Chicagoland area

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:52 am

Hi all,

I am looking to lease a 2014 Leaf (SV or SL) this year. Browsing the Chicago-area dealer web sites it seems like inventory for both 2013 and 2014 Leafs is sparse right now. Are dealers typically just ordering the cars once the sale is made rather than keeping inventory around? If so, what kind of delay should I expect from purchase to taking delivery?

Reading through this thread of posts, Rosen Nissan seems like a dealer that knows their Leafs. Any other dealers that people had great experiences with?

Thanks!

hicorrie
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2013

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:27 am

If a dealer does not have the car you want, they'll get it from a dealer that does. You should go through truecar.com to get competitive quotes from dealers. They will be the lowest price. Just make sure you know the trim and options you want. Then you work out the lease agreement, number of months, etc. they all use nissan finance so all the terms are the same. But it's important to first negotiate the price of the car, including any trade-in first. Some dealers want to just give you a monthly payment amount. That is completely wrong and you'll pay too much for the car.

In my experience dealing with 3-4 dealers, you'll know more about the leaf through all your research than the dealer will. Sometimes you'll find an enthusiast, but mostly the salespeople are as bemused by electric cars as the average person on the street. A lot of them let ICE cars park in front of the EV chargers! And don't be surprised if you are offered free oil changes :)

greengate
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:33 am

Sergiov wrote:Hi all,

I am looking to lease a 2014 Leaf (SV or SL) this year. Browsing the Chicago-area dealer web sites it seems like inventory for both 2013 and 2014 Leafs is sparse right now. Are dealers typically just ordering the cars once the sale is made rather than keeping inventory around? If so, what kind of delay should I expect from purchase to taking delivery?

Reading through this thread of posts, Rosen Nissan seems like a dealer that knows their Leafs. Any other dealers that people had great experiences with?

Thanks!
The Autobarn Nissan of Evanston.

Great dealer from my experience.

Ask for Martin. He is their Leaf go to guy.

Here's their DCQC Level 3 charging station
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djkjmuoh
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2013

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:03 pm

greengate wrote:

Thanks!
The Autobarn Nissan of Evanston.

Great dealer from my experience.

Ask for Martin. He is their Leaf go to guy.

Here's their DCQC Level 3 charging station

You can also reach out to Vito of Kelly Nissan in Oak Lawn (https://www.facebook.com/kellynissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). He is a personal friend of mine that got my 2013 LEAF SL to me faster than promised. Do your own research as you will indeed be more knowledgable than pretty much any dealer, besides you should be if you are going 100% Electric.

Rosen in Gurnee does have a HUGE amount of LEAF's per the last time I drove by there on the way to Milwaukee and they do have a Level 3 DCQC according to PlugShare and their own Facebook response to my inquiry.
2013 Super Black LEAF SL w/premium pkg
Ordered: 5/10/2013
Delivered/Leased: 6/21/2013
Purchased out of Lease: 3/30/16
56k gas-free miles & counting... quickly!
EVSE: Schneider EVLink 30a v2.5

Sergiov
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2015

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Excellent -- thanks for the help!

JohnTomaszewski
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 412352

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks!
Bill Kay Nissan in Downers Grove demolished all the rest of the Chicagoland Dealers during my search last summer.

IrvingHarlem
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2014
Leaf Number: 417125

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 am

Hi! I'm proud to say I bought my 2013 Nissan Leaf S on January 31st and received my new title and plates today: 1594 EL. Seems like a pretty good turnaround from the Secretary of State.
redLEAF wrote:
Phatcat73 wrote:About half the Leafs (Leaves?) I see on the road have standard passenger plates.
As IL does not 'require' an EV to use the lower cost plates and many dealer's are not aware of the program it's actually amazing that there are many with them ... if you're talking a 100% EV company (like Tesla) the percentage with the 'EL' series goes way up as I'm sure Tesla makes it a selling point with their IL customers -- we also have a number of special series and vanity plates that are much better looking than the rather plain white one that IL has designated for EV's so that's a factor as well.

Of course it's an unscientific way to look but, at least 'EL' registrations in IL for production EV's have passed the 1,000 mark as prior to about the mid 200's plate numbers range in the EL series here in IL the majority were home built or converted ICE's and not a 'mainstream' off the production floor EV that you could simply order.

Also here in IL, a PHEV like the Volt is not eligible; only 100% electric so cars like the Volt, Ford C-Max Energi, etc. aren't in these numbers ... hopefully those new to the LEAF (leased or otherwise) know about the 50% EVSE 'charger' incentive as well; much better deal than saving a few bucks on license plates.

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:16 am

IrvingHarlem wrote:Hi! I'm proud to say I bought my 2013 Nissan Leaf S on January 31st and received my new title and plates today: 1594 EL. Seems like a pretty good turnaround from the Secretary of State.
redLEAF wrote:
Phatcat73 wrote:About half the Leafs (Leaves?) I see on the road have standard passenger plates.
As IL does not 'require' an EV to use the lower cost plates and many dealer's are not aware of the program it's actually amazing that there are many with them ... if you're talking a 100% EV company (like Tesla) the percentage with the 'EL' series goes way up as I'm sure Tesla makes it a selling point with their IL customers -- we also have a number of special series and vanity plates that are much better looking than the rather plain white one that IL has designated for EV's so that's a factor as well.

Of course it's an unscientific way to look but, at least 'EL' registrations in IL for production EV's have passed the 1,000 mark as prior to about the mid 200's plate numbers range in the EL series here in IL the majority were home built or converted ICE's and not a 'mainstream' off the production floor EV that you could simply order.

Also here in IL, a PHEV like the Volt is not eligible; only 100% electric so cars like the Volt, Ford C-Max Energi, etc. aren't in these numbers ... hopefully those new to the LEAF (leased or otherwise) know about the 50% EVSE 'charger' incentive as well; much better deal than saving a few bucks on license plates.
Congrats and welcome to the forum !! -- very nice to see the 'EL' series almost reach the 1600 level; the other plus with this series is that it's good for two years (every December). Of course regardless of the plate you'll also never need to get tested by IL EPA for emissions; be sure to check here for info on the IL cash rebates if you haven't already … I've seen a Tesla with a mid-1500 EL plate so good to see more EV's out there
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; FSD; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

greengate
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 am

IrvingHarlem wrote:Hi! I'm proud to say I bought my 2013 Nissan Leaf S on January 31st and received my new title and plates today: 1594 EL. Seems like a pretty good turnaround from the Secretary of State.
redLEAF wrote:

I'll say! Took 4 months for mine to arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brianchi73
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 023723

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I noticed a couple of nice features of the Leaf that really aren't specific to an EV, but I've found them helpful for Winter, so I thought I would mention them here.

1. Being able to disable traction control. We are probably beyond this for the season, but I got stuck twice in the last few weeks when driving through the alley. Both times I was able to get out by disabling traction control. When it was on the computer would just step in so quickly that I had no chance of getting out.

2. The headlight adjustment control. I usually have the headlights pointing directly down since I live in the city, but I've found it useful to bump them up a notch or two to help with spotting potholes.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Return to “Central USA”