Minnesota Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as bad as you, but I'd say Nebraska qualifies as a "cold climate". Will be interested to see how the Leaf performs at sub-zero temps (not to mention -30 wind chills). I thought I read somewhere the Leaf has to "warm up" at low temps before you can drive it. Anyone else read that?

I also wonder how much impact snow tires will have on range... would imagine there will be some hit, but how much?

I think if the car is garaged and heated before driving, you should get a decent range. Leafs will do better in hot climates than cold ones, though.

"Pushing" through snow could create substantial "drag" (rolling resistance).

Going upwind against a 70-mph wind will be even worse. But, on the downwind leg ... open the rear hatch as a sail ... and watch those "little trees" grow on the instrument panel!

My garage is attached but unheated and uninsulated. Still better than letting a vehicle sit outside overnight.

Wish we had a clue when the rest of us can expect LEAF delivery schedules. Perhaps the promised "next steps" email due out on June 30 will have some info?

Pipemajor said:
Wish we had a clue when the rest of us can expect LEAF delivery schedules. Perhaps the promised "next steps" email due out on June 30 will have some info?

From what I remember Nissan wants to rollout to rest of the country before the end of 2011 - with a couple of states being added every month. The rollout will depend on the enthusiasm of potential buyers (pre-orders, I guess) and the state/city governments and utilities.

Though people just talk about EVSE install - what Nissan is trying to do with the install is to get needed local permits as well. The installer will get that done. Nissan is talking to all the utilities and city governments and asking them to streamine permit process (or start having a process if they don't have any already). With Mini-E rollout this was the biggest problem ...

I've already contacted my state rep saying Minnesota needs to get on the EV bandwagon. I'm fortunate the rep from my district is very supportive of clean energy and viable transportation. She noted she had already introduced legislation to promote clean transportation opportunities.

I am just hoping that my KIA RIO can last another year by the sounds of it. After looking at the Leaf, it is really hard to drive that beast. Maybe I hand it off to my kid and take the bus for a while til next year?
Winter in MN gets to me more and more as I get older. How bad can the cold be on an EV? Could they heat the batteries with the 12 volt backup battery? I am hoping to only charge at night(insulated, not heated garage) as my commute is only 20 miles one way.

Your commute sounds OK, even in winter, at least for all but the worst cold temperatures.

Putting a standard household (120v AC) heating pad under the rear seat (on the metal battery box, if possible) might keep the battery pack just a bit warmer for those really-cold nights (or days)?

Because of waste heat inherent in the charging process ... the battery would get "warm" even during a very (not extreme) cold night. If charge completion is timed well -- just before you leave -- you'll be helping your range :p ( Not sure what the specs are and whether the BMS would refuse to charge the battery on an extreme cold night ... or day at the office for that matter ! )

garygid said:
Your commute sounds OK, even in winter, at least for all but the worst cold temperatures.

Putting a standard household (120v AC) heating pad under the rear seat (on the metal battery box, if possible) might keep the battery pack just a bit warmer for those really-cold nights (or days)?

The Leaf battery pack has an integrated warmer...

Some warmer other than the charging process?
I was not aware of that.
What powers it, and when is it activated?
Does it even work when not plugged in (to "shore" power)?
Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
Some warmer other than the charging process?
I was not aware of that.
What powers it, and when is it activated?
Does it even work when not plugged in (to "shore" power)?

I might have made that up; I can't find the source. As for the details, who knows? :roll:

I won't be needing it in Houston :)

Battery will be kept at the same temperature as cabin air. So when you condition the car before driving - the battery will get to the nice 70 Deg cabin temperature.

evnow said:
Battery will be kept at the same temperature as cabin air. So when you condition the car before driving - the battery will get to the nice 70 Deg cabin temperature.

The battery is totally sealed. How do you figure that?

Bicster said:
evnow said:

The battery is totally sealed. How do you figure that?

The pack has fans that circulate the cabin air over the battery modules.

evnow said:

Source?

Mark Perry reportedly said,
"The battery is completely sealed; we've put the pack in swimming pools, we've frozen it, we've put high pressure hoses on it to make sure it doesn't leak."

Source link: http://www.plugincars.com/nissan-expects-leaf-pass-safety-tests-no-problems.html

Bicster said:
evnow said:

Source?

I should reword what I said earlier to make it clear.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/01/nissan-leaf-2/#ixzz0qraatkFw

Instead, Nissan has opted to use only an internal fan that circulates the air within the sealed pack to evenly distribute the heat, which escapes by passive radiation through the pack’s external case.

I think Mr. Siry got several points wrong. First of all: If Nissan's pack has any fans to circulate air, it would be apparent from the many photos Nissan has released.

Fan cooling would be unlikely anyway. Fans are incredibly unreliable, especially when run hot. It would be costly and time-consuming to replace them with a sealed pack. Liquid cooling makes much more sense--and we know Nissan doesn't do that. Also, to nitpick, if you have fans, that's not passive cooling.

I think Mr. Siry is unnecessarily hard on Nissan. Tesla has a lousy pack based on laptop cells that needs active thermal management. GM is using active heating/cooling because they have to warrant their pack for 10 years/100k miles, and I would be surprised if GM didn't drop the active thermal management on their next-gen design to cut costs.

There could easily be some small (yet unseen) fans inside the battery pack, to help eliminate "hot spots" in there.

However, since the pack is reported to be completely sealed, there would be no fans to circulate cabin air "through" the pack.

However, exhaust cabin or motor/controller air could be routed "over" (around) the pack's outside, to better remove excess heat (or warm the pack), as needed.

Back