ericvoll

Re: LEAF in Kansas City

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Sorry for the poor quality of the images.

This is my breaker box before. My electrician said it was a good breaker box, but I just didn't have any more free slots left.

This is my new breaker box (same 100 amp service). I basically got it installed so I could have more slots (I needed two for my charging station.)

Finally, this is my Evr-Green, 15 amp charging station (20 amp circuit).

ericvoll

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

For EVSE's (Charging Stations) in town, I am aware of only two networks so far:

ChargePoint - To use the stations, you have to have a ChargePoint RFID card or key fob, a RFID credit card, or a cell phone and a regular credit card. Setting up an account and getting a ChargePoint RFID card will set you back about $30 ($25 deposit for stations that cost and $5 for the RFID card). Another advantage of getting a ChargePoint card is the ability to track your usage. Right now, almost all of the ChargePoint stations in the KC area are free. Only the ones at the new Performing Arts Center cost $1.00 per hour. The Nissan charging station locator gets some of their information ChargePoint. http://www.chargepoint.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SemaCharge - These are the stations that are going up at the Walgreens' locations in town. To use these stations, nothing is required except for your electric car. They also offer an RFID card that will allow you to track usage and use pay stations. It will set you back $20 for a deposit. The RFID card itself is free. All of the SemaCharge stations in the area are free at the moment. http://www.semacharge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a good website that combines the different networks together, PlugShare. http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of these sites also have companion iPhone applications.

I work downtown. Is anyone aware of other charging locations other than what is on PlugShare?

I've asked my company if they plan on installing EVSE's anytime soon. Initially, last summer, it seemed like it might actually happen. However, since then, I've been told that installing EVSE's has become a chicken or the egg issue. It is felt by some that until there is demand for the stations, the expense isn't justified, but until stations are put in, there won't be demand. I remain hopeful.

My roundtrip commute is about 25 miles, so I'm not worried at all. I read a story recently about a guy who commutes 130 miles every weekday to/from work. His employer installed a charging station, so he charges to 100% each way. Technically speaking, one should be able to drive 60-70 miles going 65 miles/hour. That's a trip for me (Gladstone, MO) out to Lawrence with room to spare. However; it would take a very long time to recharge enough (4-5 hours or so) before I could drive back.

ksnogas2112
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 am

ohh so close and yet so far...it's the gap from Grandview to Osceola that's preventing me from getting the car to summer camp (assuming it arrives before then). that's some great info eric thanks
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-55,000+ miles

davewill

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am

ericvoll wrote:... The current Nissan LEAF only has a 3.3 kw onboard charger anyway, so 30 amps is really overkill. The most you'll ever use is 13.75 amps. ...
3.3kW is the output spec of the LEAF's charger, it draws 3.8kw (or so) which is 16a@240v, therefore you need a 20a circuit breaker.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

eclecticflower
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021559

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

Great info! Since I'm no expert, I copied some of ericvoll's content into a message to my electrician friend. After arriving home from work last night, I noticed my garage door opened very slowly - an occurence indicating the power had been out. I then noticed when I took my 3 little monsters (yappy Chihuahuas) to the backyard for "business," my KCPL meter was kinda hanging off the wall and there were some very strange red cables that were spliced into into/onto it...my initial response was (WTF?) and I contacted my electrician friend. He said KCPL did that so he could piggyback his work onto it to upgrade the service (whew). Apparently KCPL thinks the electrical wires are too close to my deck, which I had placed in 2001 (yes, all permits/preliminary approval in place). Friend says if he is only moving about 10 feet, it won't cost me any more than his original quote so I sent pics to show him that existing setup and windows/back of house (am keeping my fingers crossed). I also sent him a pic of the weird setup in my basement (service box and extra 220 box). Not sure what he'll come back at me with. He did ask me to see if Nissan would void my warranty if I used a 2 pole 20 amp circuit (not sure how any of this works - showing my "girl card" :roll: ). I don't know what kind of answer I'll get From Nissan, but will get in touch with them.

Here's a question...if you accepted/signed the online quote for the charging station and decide that's too expensive/you want to go another way (like you did), is there a way to get out of that acceptance or am I stuck with the exorbitant cost of getting that installed by Aerovironment?

My dryer is (below grade) in my basement (ranch house), however, it's right below where I'm having the charging dock installed in my garage upstairs (but it's down the basement wall horizontally 10' or so). I wonder how it would work tying into that, if at all possible? I sure don't want anything "jerry-rigged" that would end up burning down the house...

I already got a ChargePoint card awhile back (anticipation....).

FYI, since the charging station at Union Station is free and the parking space is $1.00/hour, I suspect it may be that way at the Performing Arts Center too :?:

And, yes, I've been playing with the vanity plate maker at the online MO DMV site trying to determine if EV-related acronyms were taken, and there's a lot we can make up but it's tough with only 6 slots to play with in Missouri. I like the guys in California who've gotten away with "F OPEC" and other good ones (upside-down and backward sayings), but smart-aleck plates might not get by the DMV here - it's really discouraged on the site. I finally settled on and paid for one that should pass them easily - G'BYGAS - so it s/b waiting for me when I get my LEAF. It's $15 plus I think I paid another buck service fee.

In MO, we can use one symbol or a space combined with 6 letters and numbers. The other plates I thought of (that aren't yet taken) are yours for the taking: YBYGAS, WHY-GAS, GAS-FRE, CHARGD, NRGIZD, PUR NRG (for you Spock fans), PUR AIR, NO FUMZ,
WATT UP (liked this one!), AMP UP, EV QTPI, QTPI EV, MY EVQT (yeah, those 3 are girly), NVMY EV, IPLUG-N, IMAGIN, REVENG, VENGNC, YNOT-EV, GET1-4U, BUY1-4U, U2SB-EV, 4C FUTR, FUTR 4U, (I purposely left out JETSON!). So, now you know how I spend my spare time... :oops:

Anyhow...girls shop/guys figure out electrical stuff. :lol: If you're interested in license plate holders, etc., go to Plug In America's web site: http://www.pluginamerica.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Must have 2 in MO - so I got "Dump the Pump" for the rear bumper and "100% Electric" for the front (can also get t-shirts, hats, etc., and the movie, "Who Killed The Electric Car" to share with your friends).
2012 Cayenne Red LEAF SL: Vanity Plate - G'BYGAS
Reserved 08/10, Ordered 3/12/2012, $99 Refunded 5/16/12, Delivered 6/4/12.

eclecticflower

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for the service box pictures. My current old one looks like your new one, and it's filled to capacity. :(

davewill

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:58 am

eclecticflower wrote:... He did ask me to see if Nissan would void my warranty if I used a 2 pole 20 amp circuit (not sure how any of this works - showing my "girl card" :roll: ). I don't know what kind of answer I'll get From Nissan, but will get in touch with them.
The controlling factor is the EVSE, not the LEAF. If the EVSE is rated @16a or less, then the 20a circuit is fine (even required).
eclecticflower wrote:Here's a question...if you accepted/signed the online quote for the charging station and decide that's too expensive/you want to go another way (like you did), is there a way to get out of that acceptance or am I stuck with the exorbitant cost of getting that installed by Aerovironment? ...
You can call cust service and request a waiver. The car delivery will proceed without needing anything from AV.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

eclecticflower

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks, davewill.

I reread the quote/agreement and it basically gives you 3 days to cancel, but I'll look into the potential for a waiver.

The most expensive part of the Aerovironment service quote is their "custom installation" charge: "your quote details: Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install 40 feet or less of feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Run feeder in EMT conduit in the garage with final connection made by flexibile conduit. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification." This custom work is quoted at $1,230.83. The charging dock & wall mount w/25' cable are $721.12. Installation permit & processing, $136.00. Shipping & delivery, $49.95. Tax = $60.45. (Now it's "out there, potential LEAFers...)

It's apparently expensive to put in a circuit breaker, run wiring over to the wall (appx. 14 feet) and through the joist and up the garage wall. If Home Depot and/or Lowes carries the charging dock for less than $721, that would certainly be great; I could have my electrician quote running the "custom work" to see what kind of savings I might get over Aerovironment (assuming I could kill that agreement).

EdmondLeaf

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Schneider Electric EVlink Full 30A Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Station
Model # EV2430WS
$799.99 /EA-Each
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051 same thing in Lowe's and price is same too
You may check http://evseupgrade.com/ to upgrade your portable unit that comes with the car to full speed charge if you have 240V plug (or will install one)

eclecticflower

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm

This just in from KCPL. Rates are summer/winter only:

Energy Charge (Per kWh) Summer Season Winter Season
First 600 kWh per month $0.11028 $0.09914
Next 400 kWh per month $0.11028 $0.05945
Over 1000 kWh per month $0.11028 $0.04968

If I could figure out how to attach the .pdf, I'd give you the whole document (sorry).

Return to “Central USA”