Purchasing a home charging station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbhyatt

I have just purchased a new Nissan LEAF and will be getting a home charger soon. I would like to have a pedestal charger since I don't have a garage, carport of a convenient place to install the charger on my house.

The EV Project makes it possible for me to get a $1200 rebate on the Ecotality (BLINK) home charger. However, they do not sell pedestals to residences.

Advice? Should I get a post to mount it on or is anyone aware of another manufacturer that I should check in to?

BTW, I live in Middle Tennessee.

To be clear, ECOtality would provide a wall charging station for free and $1200 towards installation. Many folks are getting the station and installation for free, if the installation isn't too difficult or the distance isn't too long.

If you can take advantage of this offer, it shouldn't be difficult to make up your own pole / fence post / mounting bracket arrangement to have them attach the charging station to.

Would you trench for the power/lan connection or how would that be made? How far from the power source would it be?

Thanks for the info.

The distance to where the unit would be installed isn't too far. Maybe 30' at the most (if I go around a patio rather than under).

Clipper Creek makes them robust and has a pedestal available. Problem is price. Maybe your local EAA has contacts to WestCoast EAAs for an old Avcon (which can be converted to J1772) that's been decommissioned (but still in working condition) ? (See here, scroll down to the 3rd picture, on the left.)

If you install a pedestal (metal, wood, or heavy-duty PVC),
make sure that you get the conduit for the wiring done properly.

Consider adding a sturdy housing that would easily contain
the "big" Blink (and cable), and be lockable for safety and security.

Almost more of an outhouse or shed to hold the Blink,
if you decide to use it.

Also, consider moisture, impact by people or a vehicle, and temperature.

schneider makes a nice pedastal mount for around 2000.00 plus install Charge-A-Lot in columbia tennessee has installed many and all the schneider offices in tennessee have them. you can reach bryan at chargealot.com and he will give you a free est. you must also consider tennessee uses the 2008 nec and all evse must be ul listed so be careful.

What I'm wondering is, if I understand you correctly that, if I install the Ecotality charger they'll probably charge me the $1/hr at my own home? I can see where the Schneider or any other co. would not.

Thanks for helping me to see that the installation isn't that big of deal. Whenever you're dealing with something that's unfamiliar it seems like a big deal.

Nobody is going to charge you in your own home. That was a joke.

The commercial units often have networking and the needed connections to make it work and collect a fee through the network. The network can also put you on the map for public use. This makes them substancially more expensive and geared toward business. You don't want that unless you want to ensure noone else can pull up and charge. An inside switch would accomplish the same thing. You need them to come out and walk you through what is needed as your install is not typical.

In order to get the rebate I believe the Blink does need some connection to transmit usage data.

If you don't go through Blink you can buy any outdoor rated evse and mount it the way you like and hire your own electrician to hardwire it.

Back