2012 purchase with winter questions.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbissell

About to bite the bullet on a LEAF lease outside of Boston. Price is ~$10000 below msrp (lease including gvt credit) and seems like a good deal. I am wondering exactly how bad the heater is in the winter and how bad is the range effected? Basically need to make a 54 mile commute into Boston in two years after battery degradation sets in. Please tell me I'm not crazy for thinking I can do this.

That's not that great of a deal; only $2500 off MSRP (plus there tax credit).

I would attempt to get a 24 or 36 month lease, NOT a 39 month one (since you'll be outside the warranty). Boston is not going to have heat related permanent degradation like you've been reading about, but you absolutely will have seasonal degradation from a cold battery and higher consumption from the heater.

Is 54 miles one way or round trip? Can you charge at your midpoint destination? How fast do you plan to drive on the freeway?

You absolutely can do this (if 54 miles RT), but you'll have to make a few compromises. Maybe you can only drive 55mph, or maybe only run the seat and steering wheel heater instead of the cabin heater (which takes LOTS of power).

If you preheat the car while still plugged in at home, that will save lots of heating power. If you can keep the battery temps up in a heated garage, that would help. If you can plug in midday, and preheat the cabin at midday while plugged in, this will be boringly simple.

But, sure, it'll do it. You could easily screw it up, too, but it seems like you'll figure it out.

Are you parking in a sorta warm garage? If you preheat while plugged in the first leg should be easy.
If the seat warmers are good enough you may need less heat from the main battery.
The heater itself does put out lots of heat. If you can plug in at work (even L1) it would be a slam dunk.

Thanks everyone. It is 54 miles RT, also should be able to charge for an hour on L2 while at work, but it is a charger at MIT and I can't be absolutely sure it will be free when I need it. Unfortunately in MA we don't have any other credits like in CA, so $2500 off msrp seems about the best I can do in the area. Now comes decision time, do I jump or wait 5 months and get a 2013. Ugh.

Wish it was that easy. Current car (Prius 140k miles) need new tires, rims, brakes, possibly CV joint, etc in the next month or so. I've always had to do a large repair on any car I have turned in and I am looking to avoid that this time around.

I know the 2013 will be a "better" car, but we don't know the price, lease rates, etc... Just wish Nissan would let some info out, but I also realize they are trying to move the excess 2012's they have on the lots.

One other question, is 54 miles RT on L1 charging really possible?

It is 54 miles RT, also should be able to charge for an hour on L2 while at work

Hi;
I live outside of Philadelphia, and while it's not Boston, It gets cold here.
54 mile round trip should be easy.
Having said that, if 52 of those miles will be done at 80MPH, at 0 degrees, in a gale, you are going to get some range anxiety.
Real world driving around here, 75 miles is a no brainer.
I think a 54 mile commute is probably the perfect range for the leaf.
It gives you some wiggle room, some up your sleeve to go to lunch or pick up the dry cleaning.
Plugshare shows a BUNCH of chargers if you really have a problem, plus that MIT charger.

The 2013 has an optional 6.6 kw charger, which won't get you farther, just charge quicker.

Tony is correct however.
You should be able to get a better deal on a 2012.
$2500 0ff, if your price includes the $7500 already is not good.
Come down here, I'll get you a good deal.

Good luck.
It is fun to have NO IDEA what the price of gas did last week.

I'd do it, just make a better deal. :oops:

I'm in Pittsburgh and have a 60 mile RT commute. I've had no problems so far. I'm planning on having to drive a little slower when the weather gets really cold.

If you can plug the car in for 12 hours at L1, I think that should top you off for the next day's drive.

bradbissell said:
One other question, is 54 miles RT on L1 charging really possible?
I drove close to 50 miles average per day the first 5 months of ownership on L1. At times it seemed like it was charging near continuous but I always got where I needed to go. Some mornings it was still charging as I unplugged and headed to work. But then my miles are in a mild climate. I think you should plan on installing L2 soon but you can wait until you get the actual car and be on L1 for a few weeks.

I drove close to 50 miles average per day the first 5 months of ownership on L1. At times it seemed like it was charging near continuous but I always got where I needed to go. Some mornings it was still charging as I unplugged and headed to work. But then my miles are in a mild climate. I think you should plan on installing L2 soon but you can wait until you get the actual car and be on L1 for a few weeks.

I just got a free L2 from the EV Project.
I'm also having my L1 upgraded to L2 by EVSEUPGRADE.com because I've heard that the blinks are not always reliable.

A full 16 amp L2 for under $300 (and it will still do L1 in a pinch)

You could look into the EV Project, and see if you can get a free L2 also.

Good luck

my wife does a 40 mile rt. In the winter with temps in the 20s and 30s with a 100% charge she gets home with about 15 miles left on the guess o meter. her trip is 2/3 at 55mph and 1/3 at 35 mph. The extra 15 miles you are going to do will put you at the edge. but its do able especially if you are on pretty flat ground... HOWEVER... if you make a stop on the way home for a couple of hours and have to get the heat back up to temp you will be very tight... we have on winters experience in northern Idaho

After much thought I decided to wait on the 2013 model. A better heater will make all the difference on the sub zero days. Also the 6.6kw charger will help if I'm ever really on the edge of range.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.

Back