Pennsylvania Tax Rebate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seans

I live in PA and wanted to get some clarification on the PA EV rebate. The Nissan site indicates it is $500 while the PA site seems to suggest it is $3500.00. Anyone, know for sure what the deal is?

Thanks!

Yes. There IS.

It's actually a DEP Grant.

My Dealer didn't have a clue, but I speak Government.

In October 2011 the initial $500 rebate was discontinued.
That's what everyone seems to locate when they look into this.

Almost immediately a tiered rebate was instituted, in which a PEV or PHEV with a battery capacity in excess of 10KW was eligible for the $3500 rebate.

Nobody seems to know about this thing, except for some angry Volt owners who bought during the first rebate.

DEP will offer a $3,500 rebates for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) (battery system capacity equal/greater than 10 kWh) and Battery Electric Vehicle (EV) (battery system capacity equal/greater than 10 kWh) to the first 500 qualified applicants. A $1000 rebate will be offered for any PHEV or EV (battery system capacity less than 10 kWh). Additionally, $1000 rebates are available for Natural Gas fueled vehicles (CNG), Propane fueled vehicles (LPG) and Hydrogen and Fuel Cell vehicles (FC). A $500 rebate will be offered for Electric motorcycles/scooters (EMC).
Visit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP web Visit the DEP webVisit the DEP web Visit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP webVisit the DEP website for a complete listing of AFVs that are eligible the rebate at site for a complete listing of AFVs that are eligible the rebate at site

Here are the links:
Guidelines and instructions:

http://files.dep.state.pa.us/Energy/Office%20of%20Energy%20and%20Technology/OETDPortalFiles/GrantsLoansTaxCredits/AlternativeFuelsIncentiveGrant/AFV%20Rebates/Alterntive%20Fuel%20Vehicle%20Rebate%20Program%20Guidelines.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actual Rebate Form:

http://files.dep.state.pa.us/Energy/Office%20of%20Energy%20and%20Technology/OETDPortalFiles/GrantsLoansTaxCredits/AlternativeFuelsIncentiveGrant/AFV%20Rebates/Alterntive%20Fuel%20Vehicle%20Rebate%20Program%20Form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Questions? Please contact the AFV Program at 866-294-3854, 717-214-3492 or at [email protected].

Good Luck.

First 500 qualifying applicants only!

I applied, followed up by phone, and my check is "on the way".

Cool.

The "first 500 applicants" clause scares me a bit, but I applied for this as well.

It sure sounds like we qualify for $3500. I'm surprised this hasn't been advertised more fully. I just found out about it a couple weeks before taking delivery of my Leaf.

KillaWhat, how long did you wait before contacting them to confirm that your application had been received?

garsh said:
KillaWhat, how long did you wait before contacting them to confirm that your application had been received?

I sent the application with tracking, and waited 3 working days after they signed for it, and called "just to make sure they had gotten it?"

Very nice woman said they had gotten it, she had already processed it, and I should have my check in about 6 weeks.

The first 500 worried/ worries me as well, but I think we are ok for a little while.

Any on the fence PA Leaf purchasers should hustle over to Loughead Nissan in Swarthmore, where he has a blue one, a white one, and a silver one, and aerovironment EVSE's in stock.

Even if you are 200 miles away, you can plot a route to get to a level 2 charger, spend the night, and complete the trip home in the morning. Or go to u-haul......

$3500 from PA + $7500 from the fed ........
I have a Ted meter, and Ive paid like $11 to go 560 miles.
That's about 6 times cheaper than my VW TDI, which does really great.

Good luck

I emailed the PA DEP on March 5th and they indicated they had about 380 slots left. I emailed them again on April 4th and they indicated they had about 350 slots left

Considering the program opened in November of last year, it looks like they are going through the slots at a rate of about 30-50 per month, so if this holds, you still should have plenty of time.

We just picked up our Leaf this past Monday and are loving it :) (and we mailed out our rebate papers on Wednesday)

The only thing I have noticed so far is that it seems I can feel every little road vibrations through the acceleration pedal...but maybe I'm just paranoid.

No one at the dealership where we made our purchase had heard about the rebate, but they didn't know very much about the car in general.

I also mentioned some submitted legislation to reduce the sales tax rate from 6 to 3% and they just stared at me

To clarify, the sales tax change legislation was submitted (and I think reviewed), but has not yet passed:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/CSM/2011/0/5810.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2011&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0101&pn=0054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I confirmed this with the PA department of revenue a few days ago

If it does pass, yes, I hope it is retroactive as well

The PA DPA rebate still is available for those who purchase their Leaf and live in PA. Still about 180 left.

It is not for those who lease, only for those who purchase!

I sent in my paperwork yesterday and will follow up with this thread when I hear from them.

Way cool notice: List price was over $38K, signed to buy at $32,500. Minus my fed tax credit ($7,500) and PA rebate ($3,500) brings the real price to $21,500. Way cool! This was then a no-brainer decision to purchase.

Top Hat

Resurrecting this thread--

I know this $3,500. PA rebate is taxable. Is it taxable for both federal and state? I'm not finding an answer to this anywhere?

Btw, I just talked with Billie today-- the very helpful processor of these rebates. They just finished the 500 available $3,500. rebates, but now have an additional 500 available at $3,000., although there is a time limit on this one.

strawbale

EVWannabe said:
Resurrecting this thread--

I know this $3,500. PA rebate is taxable. Is it taxable for both federal and state? I'm not finding an answer to this anywhere?

Btw, I just talked with Billie today-- the very helpful processor of these rebates. They just finished the 500 available $3,500. rebates, but now have an additional 500 available at $3,000., although there is a time limit on this one.

strawbale
The PA Dept of Energy website only says the rebate is taxable. When I received a 1099 from PA I e-mailed them that question from the Dept of Revenue website. They replied that the rebate is NOT taxable in PA. That makes sense, because they took no State tax withholding. I am assuming that it is taxable for Federal.

garsh said:
Chester said:
I guess this rebate doesn't apply if you leased?
That appears to be the case, but you could try calling to get clarification.

I leased mine and got the rebate.

garymelora said:
The PA Dept of Energy website only says the rebate is taxable. When I received a 1099 from PA I e-mailed them that question from the Dept of Revenue website. They replied that the rebate is NOT taxable in PA. That makes sense, because they took no State tax withholding. I am assuming that it is taxable for Federal.

I called Harrisburg PA Revenue office this morning and had that confirmed. It is federally taxable, but not state taxable.

Thanks too for your response.

strawbale

I don't know how they figure this, it is a REBATE. It is my money that they are returning to me. I already paid state and federal income tax on it and 6% sales tax. :?

EVWannabe said:
garymelora said:

I called Harrisburg PA Revenue office this morning and had that confirmed. It is federally taxable, but not state taxable.

Thanks too for your response.

strawbale

Oh, It's worse than that.
We ALREADY paid the the STATE taxes, 6%, when we purchased (registered) the vehicle in PA

If you view this "Grant" as a reduction in the price of the car, which they are not, we should pay NO taxes on it, because it is a reduction in the price of a personal, non-tax deductable vehicle (in 99% of cases).

So not only should this be non-taxable, but the 6% we already paid on the $3500 to the state should be refunded.

And even further, since the FED is giving us up to $7500 credit, which either is, or could be viewed as a reduction in the purchase cost of a personal vehicle, we shouldn't pay State tax on that $7500 AGAIN when we register the vehicle.
We at least should be able to file for a refund.

And We already paid the State tax when we earned the funds.

And fairies and unicorns will show up with new 500 mile LiOn battery packs for us all, and every store and restaurants will install 6 L2 Evse's tomorrow.

:twisted: The Taxes on the 12 of us still working really blow :twisted:

Just wanted to share that as of June 18, 2013 there are still 350 rebate available (at $3,000) so you still have a few more days to go. I asked the person that processes the loan about availability about the rebates beyond June 30th, and this is obviously his opinion off the record, that it is possible the rebates will be available but they will likely be available at a lower amount.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/alternative_fuels_incentive_grant/10492/alternative_fuel_vehicles/553206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're very prompt at processing rebates, so you still have time. In fact you can submit application and all required documentation electronically by e-mailing them to [email protected]

Here are the dates for my rebate processing:
3/19/13 Application and all required documentation submitted
3/20/13 Application processed and approved (confirmed by inquiring via e-mail)
4/23/13 Received checks on the mail

The PA rebate was an incentive for me to choose purchasing over leasing, and I'm really glad I purchased because I'm driving over 1,500 miles per month.

Back