Any Kentucky Owners?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckyleaf

Hello all! We are expecting delivery of a Cayenne red SL in June, which was ordered at Gates Nissan in Richmond. They have a Red Leaf that we've driven around town, and there is a black Leaf at Glenn Nissan (Lexington) that I can see during my commute. Both dealers have one EVSE installed outside. Are there any orders - deliveries in the state of Kentucky, or will we be the first? We installed a Schneider L2 EVSE during a remodel, and are ready to plug her in!

I contacted Kentucky Utilities (as well as LG&E) about the EV electric rates, KU really tried to get us to keep our current rate of about $.067 kWh instead of TOD rates that range from $.045 (overnight, & all day weekends) to $.13 (peak). This is just a meter swap, not a submeter for the EVSE. I did the math and the three TOD rates average out to be about $.067, so I'm not worried about electrical devices that are difficult to time shift (fridge) and can easly shift TOD usage of others (HVAC and dehumidifier) We use wood heat in the winter, solar for hot water and the freezer, and a clothes line to dry in the summer. We both work, so really we would utilize the lower weekend rate. Anyway, we have not seen the new KU meter yet, and I was wondering if any Kentucky Leaf or other KY EV owners have had (or desire to have) the TOD meter installed?

If anyone needs to borrow a few hours on a L2 EVSE, contact me, I'm the chief engineer at WDKY Fox-56. Contact me BEFORE you head out on your trip to Kentucky, and I'll set you up with my cell phone number. We are right off I-75 and Exit 97, within 1/4 mile from the exit. The Nissan dealers in Richmond and Lexington are well off the interstate, and not really in easy walking distance to good shopping.

Dave Kollar

Hi Dave. Me and my wife have a Ocean Blue colored Leaf. We had been on the waiting list since day one, about 7 months ago i was walking our dog down man-o-war and seen a black one drive by me. The next day I called a Nashville Tn dealer and found a orphaned Leaf the very first try. I drove down and picked it up two days later. We love our Leaf and have had no problems at all wt it. My Wife drives 90 miles a day to work and back no problem at all. She plugs in to a 110v when she gets to work and has about 50 miles left when she gets home. 25 if its cold out :) If you are ever in need of a level 2 charge when you are in Lexington, we live off Harrodsburg rd. I have seen a black Leaf on Nicholasville rd 3 0r 4 times. Hes the reason I bought mine.

Hope you enjoy your leaf. It is fun to drive.

[email protected]

Congratulations to both of you from a former Kentuckian now near Atlanta. You might consider posting to plugshare.com if you are willing to share your EVSE. It makes you easy to find, but gives you some privacy, too.

Hope to drive our Leaf up to the Bluegrass one day. Making it through TN should be a snap at Cracker Barrel, but still a little tricky getting to TN from either end.

I'd love to see L3 chargers every 50 miles or so along I-75 & the other interstates in KY. I don't know that I'd ever have time to do a trip to Atlanta, but Oak Ridge would be a really cool place for a Leaf meetup!

A L3 near London or Corbin would open it up for a trip to Tn. from Lexington. Once in Tn you could travel throughout the state. It would be nice.

Hi, KY Leaf guys. I used to live in Central Kentucky (Lafayette HS '69; EKU BA '75; UK Law '81) but I have been down in sunny South Florida for 31 years. It is good to hear that you guys are setting the pace for clean driving up in the Bluegrass State.

We are excited today! We drove the Gates Nissan (Richmond) demo Leaf to work and back to the house to test the commute. First we took the interstate to the house, then we went our normal route to downtown Lexington (Old Richmond Rd - Richmond Rd - Main st) and took Winchester Rd - I-75 back home. Had about 35 miles "range" left over, so the commute is easy. Now the demo Leaf is in our garage testing the EVSE for the first time since its installation a month ago. Works perfectly. I figure I'll charge to two of the three dash lights that you can see in the windshield, and take it back to Gates. We also have a VIN and delivery date that is something other than "the month of June" - June 27th. It's getting close! We will own the first Leaf sold in Richmond, pretty excited about that!

Glad to hear Leafs are beginning to spread around the Bluegrass!

I've been driving my Leaf since June 2011 here in San Diego, CA. (about 9500 miles so far).

Like your electric rates over there, you should be saving quite a bit on gas money.

Back in the mid 1980s I was working in Georgetown and Living in Lexington to help build the first Toyota Car Manufacturing Plant in the U.S. I know they are building Camrys there, but do any of you know if they build any Hybrids there now?

Enjoy your Leafs! And thanks for helping us reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Picked up our Leaf at Gates Richmond today. We took her home and charged to about 90%, and went on a run to Midway Ky (45 miles). Trickle charged in Midway for about 2 hours, made it home with 30 miles on the guessometer. Stopped by Glenn Nissan on Richmond Rd (Lexington KY) and found out that they turn their EVSEs off after hours. I would recommend all Kentucky Leaf owners call Glenn to complain, and here's why. Gates Nissan in Richmond KY leaves the electricity on. Suppose you purchase a Leaf in Lexington (at Glenn), and then drive it to Berea for a day trip. It's a long way, but thankfully GATES NISSAN leaves the lights on (so to speak) so you can top off before heading back to Lexington. Glenn Nissan should leave their EVSE operatonal at all times as well. I would send many thanks (and future customers) Glenn Nissan's way if they choose to do so.

Glad to find you folks. I was looking (and eventually posted an inquiry) in the Central USA Board.

I am in NKy (Fort Thomas) and work in OH. Currently trying to decide if a Leaf would fit my situation -- 54 mile round trip commute daily. No current opportunity to charge (L1 or L2) at work but dealership that I have been working with has L2 5 minutes from office in an emergency (and a Mitsubishi dealer just down the street is listed as available on several of the aggregators). If lease, wife and 16 yo son would each have an ICE, so shouldn't ever get stuck needing the Leaf and not enough juice to get somewhere I NEED to be (rather than want to be).

I am unaware of any KY incentives (rebates, sales tax avoidance, L2 charging station at home credits, HOV lanes [I don't think there are any in KY], etc.) for purchasing / leasing an EV like in other states (GA, PA, West Coast). Anyone else know of any?

Seems like a Commonwealth as heavily influenced by coal production as KY would want to encourage cars filling up with coal-powered electricity. As an earlier poster noted, our electric rates are pretty favorable compared to other states. I think my most recent bill from Duke Energy up here had an eff. rate of $.0863/kWh. Not sure if they offer any "off peak" charging options.

Very little L2 infrastructure around Cincinnati so far. No L3 chargers I am aware of.

Assume the KY taxes on the Leaf are based on the full sticker price (before the $7,500 rebate). If so, that is a CRUSHER for the economic value argument. Currently only considering a lease since the resale value is unknown. Also thinking about waiting for the 2013s being produced in Smyrna, TN. I like the 6.6kWh and wonder how pricing will be handled based on the significant production levels they have committed to at that plant.

Any help / suggestions much appreciated. I'm really torn on this. (And the wife is firmly against -- although she has virtually no information on it.)

Hi JPA2825, did you end up buying the leaf? We own a leaf and live in Florence, KY.
There are no "off peak" charging options offered by Duke in Kentucky (they do offer those options in Indiana and NC)
Regarding L2 infrastructure, there's one charger in the Monroe Outlet Center. It really helps if you are heading that way - since the leaf won't make it back otherwise :)

jpa2825

I would wait for the 2013 Leaf for a couple reasons, but mostly the upgrade to the heating system. A 54 mile rt commute could get close in the winter. If your commute is mostly interstate, the speeds will really sap your battery. Summertime, easy! but in the winter, I'd want to plug in and warm up the car at work before the return trip. Having the 6.6kW charger will mean that a few minutes at your backup L2 location near work could be really useful. You can expect to gain about 20-24 miles range at 6.6 kW per hour charging. If you plan to keep a backup ice car, you might want to commute during the coldest part of the winter with it instead of the Leaf. Just my 2 cents :)

dpiccolo said:
Hi JPA2825, did you end up buying the leaf? We own a leaf and live in Florence, KY.
There are no "off peak" charging options offered by Duke in Kentucky (they do offer those options in Indiana and NC)
Regarding L2 infrastructure, there's one charger in the Monroe Outlet Center. It really helps if you are heading that way - since the leaf won't make it back otherwise :)

Good to see another NKY Leaf to look for.

I also checked with Duke and while they have pilot projects in IN, NC, SC & FL which are paying for L2 installs, none in KY so far.

I put deposit down on a Cayenne Red 2012 that is supposed to be delivering end of this month. $0 down, 38 pmts. of $360/mo. with 15k miles per year. Important to make sure Lease expires prior to 12.31.15 so I don't get stuck with the ridiculous KY car tax for owning it in 2016 (even if only for 1 day).

What dealer did you get your Leaf from?

There is supposed to be an L2 charger in Bridgewater Falls near Smashburger if you are ever out this way. Also, there is Mac's Pizza in Clifton that has an L2 charger you are apparently welcome to use if the Chevy Volt delivery vehicle is not needing it.

kentuckyleaf said:
jpa2825

I would wait for the 2013 Leaf for a couple reasons, but mostly the upgrade to the heating system. A 54 mile rt commute could get close in the winter. If your commute is mostly interstate, the speeds will really sap your battery. Summertime, easy! but in the winter, I'd want to plug in and warm up the car at work before the return trip. Having the 6.6kW charger will mean that a few minutes at your backup L2 location near work could be really useful. You can expect to gain about 20-24 miles range at 6.6 kW per hour charging. If you plan to keep a backup ice car, you might want to commute during the coldest part of the winter with it instead of the Leaf. Just my 2 cents :)

Enjoyed the video. Raised in Bardstown and went to school in Lexington, so those scenes are very familiar to me.

As posted above, I think I got a good deal on a 2012 39 mo. lease, so for me "a bird in the hand" you know. I will be very interested to see what the 2013s out of Smyrna spec out with.

For bad weather, very cold weather and when I need extra range, I will swap with my 16 yo son who will drive my 2001 Audi A8L w/ 150k miles when the Leaf arrives. 4WD was a primary reason for buying the Audi. Luxury of the Leaf being the 3rd car in a 3 driver family (or 4th car in a 4 driver family if you count my Daughter who just took the Mini I bought & drove when they 1st came out) made my decision much easier. ("1st World Problems" as my Daughter would say!).

Dealer I am leasing from is very close to my office, so can always grab a few kW at lunch or after work if I have to before the drive home in a pinch.

What dealer did you get your Leaf from?

There is supposed to be an L2 charger in Bridgewater Falls near Smashburger if you are ever out this way. Also, there is Mac's Pizza in Clifton that has an L2 charger you are apparently welcome to use if the Chevy Volt delivery vehicle is not needing it.

I got it from Falhaber nissan in Cincy. Mac's Pizza has a L1 charger. At least when I plugged my Leaf there it said it was Trickle charging. I didn't know about the one in Bridgewater Falls, it doesn't show up in carstations.com.

Btw, you should have enough range to commute without any worries (don't know about 80% charge though). I've gone all the way up there from Florence, with AC and had more than 16 miles remaining when I got back home. Last tip, be careful with Cut in the Hill since it usually takes 10 miles out of your range (unless you climb it in the truck lanes at 30mph).

UPDATE: Got Pepper last Saturday. Details in profile & sig.

To the extent others want to share info about charging infrastructure or incentives, I am happy to share. I know Kohl's, Cracker Barrel, Walgreens & others have programs elsewhere. Maybe some inquiries about when those are coming to KY would help. Couldn't hurt. Share any response you get.

I will subscribe to this thread so as not to miss anything.

Back