The EV Project Expands to Atlanta

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blink

Hello!

Today ECOtality, Inc announced that the EV Project has been expanded to Atlanta, GA!

Check out the press release -(http://www.ecotality.com/media/press-releases/ev-project-offers-free-blink-chargers-to-ev-drivers-and-commercial-host-sites-in-atlanta/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as well as the Company Update we posted to our community forum, BlinkShare! (http://blinkshare.blinknetwork.com/blink/topics/the_ev_project_expands_to_atlanta_chicago_and_philadelphia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - Let us know if you have any questions!

"
EV Project offers Free Blink® Chargers to EV Drivers and Commercial Host Sites in Atlanta

SAN FRANCISCO and ATLANTA – Wednesday, August 1, 2012 –ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today it will offer its Blink® smart charging stations free to residents and commercial host sites of the greater metropolitan Atlanta area as part of its expansion of The EV Project, a public-private partnership with the Department of Energy.

“Now people interested in electric transportation in the Atlanta region can join The EV Project and help us build a nationwide network of electric vehicle charging stations”, said Don Karner, Chief Innovation Officer of ECOtality, Inc. “By signing up for a free charger, EV owners can take part in this massive research project that can help reduce our country’s dependence on foreign oil. We are excited about bringing The EV Project to the greater Atlanta region. With the expansion of this new market, The EV project is now in nine states and 21 major metropolitan areas throughout the country.”

Qualified residents in the Atlanta region who have taken ownership of either the Nissan LEAF or Chevy Volt, will receive a free residential Blink wall mount charger as well as an installation credit of up to $400, subject to certain conditions. Residents and commercial hosts interested in participating can sign up at http://www.theevproject.com/sign-up.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or by emailing [email protected].

“Electric vehicles are here, and Georgia Power is excited about projects that grow the charging infrastructure in our area,” said Ben Echols, Georgia Power’s electric transportation program manager. “Electric vehicles are quiet, clean and efficient and offer users the opportunity to save money on fuel and maintenance costs, reduce their environmental impact, and contribute to the energy independence of the U.S. by using a domestically produced source of energy.

“Georgia Power offers a Plug-In Electric Vehicle rate that provides customers a significant discount on electricity during the hours when they are most likely to charge their vehicles: 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., every day. It’s easy for customers to take advantage of our special rate by simply programming their Blink charger or setting a timer on their vehicle. In addition, they can shift other home energy use and save even more money on their electric bill,” added Echols.

To learn more about The EV Project opportunities in the Atlanta area and meet with local EV experts, save the date for a Host Partners Forum on August 16th at 10 am EST at The Ventanas. Details on this event will be released through a media advisory and on Blink’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blinknetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

“The EV Project is an exciting expansion of Atlanta’s relationship with the U.S. Department of Energy, and our newest partner, ECOtality. Atlanta’s sustainability plan, Power to Change, helps to create the landscape for innovative projects like these to show proof of concept, for permanent adoption. As our office focuses on creating avenues for a decrease in fossil fuel dependence, we commend ECOtality for its efforts, and look forward to expanded resources for plug in electric vehicle owners here in our great city,” said Denise Quarles, City of Atlanta’s Director of Sustainability.

“ECOtality’s selection of Atlanta as one of its launch cities demonstrates how well-positioned our region is for the adoption of electric vehicles,” stated Bob Pertierra, Vice President Supply Chain & Advanced Manufacturing, Metro Atlanta Chamber. “Atlanta is one of the most scalable cities in the country for EV deployment and ECOtality has recognized that advantage. This is an exciting new development for our area and a critical step in our region’s EV readiness efforts.”

“The installation of electric vehicle charging stations in the metro Atlanta area supports the mission of the Clean Cities program and represents another step in the reduction of the nation’s dependency on petroleum for transportation,” said Don Francis, Executive Director of Clean Cities-Atlanta. “Clean Cities-Atlanta provides tools and resources for voluntary, community-centered programs focused on reducing the use of imported oil, developing regional economic opportunities, and improving air quality. The expansion of the EV Project into metro Atlanta will significantly impact the deployment of clean, alternative fueled electric vehicles.”

ECOtality is the project manager of The EV Project, a research initiative to help build America’s future EV infrastructure. To date, The EV Project has gathered more than 33 million miles of EV driver data that will serve to support the deployment of EVs in key markets. The project is a public-private partnership, funded in part by the U.S. Department of Energy through a federal stimulus grant and made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). For more information about The EV Project, please visit http://www.theevproject.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

This is great... Atlanta is one of the most spread out cities in the world for the density of its population. If we can prove it works here, it can work anywhere. Are they bringing in L3s?

It makes sense to me that level 3 chargers will be added to certain Cracker Barrel restaurants between Atlanta and Chattanooga to tie into the existing Tennessee grid of fast chargers. I notice that there are Cracker Barrels off I75 at Dalton, Calhoun, Adairsville, Cartersville, Kennesaw, and Marietta.

There a Cracker Barrel going in in Fairburn, and I'm hoping an L3 will go in there. I emailed corporate asking about it and they said "The store in Fairburn, GA is scheduled to open at 6 AM on 9/3/2012." :?

Time will tell, but connecting to Chattenooga seems VERY important. It'd also be nice to get to a beach :cool:

Hi Everyone,

We are hosting an informational forum on August 16th to discuss and answer questions about The EV Project. If you're interested in attending, please RSVP at the link below! We hope to see you there.

Atlanta Forum: http://bit.ly/MCw5un" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$645 installation quote for a simple install (40AMP breaker and up to 3 ft of cable) of a plug-in unit in my garage. Deduct the $400 grant and $100 SPX promotion and it's a decent deal. I'll report on the quality once the station is in place - can't wait!

EDIT: I noticed the new blink station added to the Ventanas (where the forum was hosted) recently. I've not been there yet. How much is it to park there?

Hi Blink,
in other established regions, I was under the impression that 12/31/12 was the deadline for installations because of the DOE grant deadlines.

Is that also the same deadline for new regions added, such as Atlanta, or is there more time for installations?

Thanks...

Randy said:
Hi Blink,
in other established regions, I was under the impression that 12/31/12 was the deadline for installations because of the DOE grant deadlines.

Is that also the same deadline for new regions added, such as Atlanta, or is there more time for installations?

Thanks...

Hi Randy,
Thanks for the question! The deadline for the EVP residential installation - (for all regions) - will be when we achieve the number of vehicles needed to meet program requirements or 30 Sept 2013, whichever comes first.

Very good, thank you...

Is there a similiar deadline with respect to the commercial or public installations?

Thanks, Randy

Randy said:
Very good, thank you...

Is there a similiar deadline with respect to the commercial or public installations?

Thanks, Randy

Commercial will be some time in early 2013.

LOVE the EV Project, Im pimping my Blink L2 EVSE from ECOTALITY. Only a few here in the DC Metro area have taken advantage of the program and I hope the Atlanta owners take full advantage of the program as well. WELL WORTH IT! ;)

Unfortunately I can't get much (any) info on condo installation or how to convince my HOA board, so it seems I can't buy a nissan leaf because of outside factors. How sad.

sirtom said:
Unfortunately I can't get much (any) info on condo installation or how to convince my HOA board, so it seems I can't buy a nissan leaf because of outside factors. How sad.

If you'd like to email [email protected], a regional ECOtality sales rep may be able to help you through this process. We hope you can purchase an EV and charge up soon!

sirtom said:
You might want to read about a condo success:

Dual EVSE Install - Blink Success Story
"We documented the EVSE install plan, sent it to the condo HOA for approval and asked for a decision by the end of the summer. The document explained what is an EVSE, described safety issues, government involvement and that power consumption would be paid by individual owners and installation performed by certified contractors. I will gladly share these documents with others who need to seek HOA approval."

I'm a couple months late, but I noticed the first big set of Blink stations installed down the road from me at Lenox Shopping Mall! Way to go, Blink! I celebrated by reawakening my blog with a new post.

I like the pic of my red LEAF in your blog :p

While I'd be totally fine to continue with 120 V charging (12K/year), the low cost Blink station installed in my garage makes our lives a lot easier.

The blink map says these chargers are free but the blink site says $1.50 an hour for Blink Basic Users. I've never used one, which is it?

Back