New fees in the Colorado $5.3B Transportation Bill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

"Among the proposed fees is a 2-cent-per-gallon gas charge that would increase to 8 cents by mid-2028, on top of the state’s existing 22cent gas tax. The delivery fee would be 27 cents per purchase. Ride-hailing fees would range from 15 to 30 cents. Over the course of a decade, new registration fees — intended to offset how much owners save on gas — gradually would rise to $27 for a plug-in hybrid and $96 for a full-electric vehicle. The new fees would not sunset, and several would be indexed to rise with inflation."

Colorado governments, state and local, evade the difficulties in raising taxes by imposing lots of fees.

The left hand is giving you credits to purchase an EV.......and the right hand is taking it away :roll:
Not sure how much your gas tax is in CO but when I figured out how much gas tax I would be paying(how many gallons/year I would be burning, calculated by how many miles I drive per year divided by the MPG I figured I'd be getting on a similar-sized ICE vehicle to my Leaf, in my case I used a Nissan Versa, then multiply this by my states gas tax) I came up with a figure around $40, my state has a "EV tax" of $75 and rising! this means I get to pay almost twice the amount it would cost me compared to driving an ICE :x and my state says they want to promote EVs :roll:

Could actually be much worse - having owned several EV's in IL (starting with my Leaf); first we did have actual cash rebates for both the car and charger installs; both private in ones garage as well as commercial; not as large as some other states but decent ones -- then of course these went away; but, we did for a number of years after pay only $35 plate reg's fees for every 2 years! Then our wonderful legislators saw an opportunity to make a quick buck and someone had proposed a $1,000 annual EV plate fee -- well of course that was simply ridiculous so they lowered it to $100/year EV 'surcharge' - so in essence the EV plate fee went from $35 every 2 years to $502 ($251 annually -- this was under the guise that ALL IL annual reg' fees went up as well when this was done -- hey haven't you heard, IL is broke!!). An extra $100/yr while annoying hasn't discouraged most IL residents enough from buying a new (or used in many cases) EV -- is it 'fair' versus simply paying the equivalent in gas taxes, lots of stats out there so do not quote me, but taking even the highest numbers I came across - 53.7 cents/per gallon in gas taxes in IL -- say an EV is rated at 134 MPGe (say for a Tesla Model 3 AWD LR) - that translates to about 25K miles per year in gas taxes ($100/.537 = 186.22 gal X 134 MPGe = 24,953 annual miles) ... higher than annual average of miles driven by many but NOT as high an equivalent as I've seen in other states. In my own case -- I have solar panels and most of the time charge at home for 'free' - don't even impact the grid, now of course that doesn't take into account the solar panel install costs, etc. but you get the gist; I'm sure my 'free' fuel annoys the state of IL even though I'm reducing my grid based electrical consumption for my 'fuel' needs. I'm sure we haven't seen what's coming in many states but let's wait and see what this huge infrastructure package that should include EV rebates if it ever gets enough traction ... will be interesting to see how these individual states react with extra fees, etc. if anything ever gets passed. It seems that its never quite a rational decision made (EV fees) based on facts ... kind of sad really but that's the current state of affairs.

FWIW, I do not mind paying a fair share of the cost of roads. To me that is an operational cost that changes the equation but does not change the result that my EV has a lower cost of operation.

jjeff said:
The left hand is giving you credits to purchase an EV.......and the right hand is taking it away
In nowhere equal amounts. Colorado is fine, and is heads and shoulders above every other state in the country where EV promotion, support and subsidy is concerned.

SageBrush said:
jjeff said:
The left hand is giving you credits to purchase an EV.......and the right hand is taking it away
In nowhere equal amounts. Colorado is fine, and is heads and shoulders above every other state in the country where EV promotion, support and subsidy is concerned.
And IMO that's how it should be, give an advantage to EV drivers to promote their use, for several positive reasons. My state OTOH does the opposite, they force one to pay more for tabs, as I previously mentioned percentage-wise a lot more and give us NOTHING in return. No ability to use the many carpool lanes, no state or local credits, etc. I mean my state can do what it wants but IMO MN basically deincentifies EVs and I guess in the land of PUs and large and small SUVs where many have disdain for EVs or even fuel-sipping cars like the Prius, it shouldn't be surprising.
I do find it odd that MN has decided to join the CARB states, albeit not to the full extent and several years off but hopefully a step in the right direction. MN is truly a divided state, no two ways about it, basically all cities being blue and the bigger being even bluer while basically all outstate areas(the vast majority of land area but not population) being red. It sounds like other states like CA are the same but since CA has more larger population cities, overall the state is bluer and therefore has more incentives for EV drivers.

Back