Nfuzzy
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 06333
Location: Colorado

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:29 pm

5.4 mi/kWh today. Better than my summer average. Gotta love these summerlike January temps!
2015 Leaf S with QC, purchased July '14
35000mi as of August-17, 92% SOH
7kw Solar

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:04 am

Nfuzzy wrote:0F today on both ends of my commute and not much higher in between. 27 miles on 41% based on dash. Effective range of 66 miles, not bad for having heater, seat and wheel heat on. Love that steering wheel heater.
Nice - I suspect this is a combination of newer battery and probably a better battery in the 2015s. With our 2012 LEAF, when the temps hit 0F I have to use every hypermile trick in the book, including keeping the heater off most of the time, just to squeak out 50 miles. Battery health now below 90%, although still showing all 12 bars. I recently did the 61-mile journey to Canopy at DIA in 14F temps - hypermiling all the way and NO heater and a net drop of 2000 feet of elevation - and arrived at low battery warning. Last summer I did this trip in the same car without hypermiling and had 3-4 bars left.

Since I wasn't using the heater there clearly is a tax on range caused by both a low battery temp and higher wind resistance in very cold temps. Unfortunately I didn't pre-heat (my mistake) the car before leaving - I suspect doing so would have helped range.

This will have to be our last winter with two pre-2013 LEAFs due to the range limitations in winter. I'll be turning in the leased (currently on a lease extension) 2012 LEAF by the end of 2015 to get the better battery and range.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

Nfuzzy
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 06333
Location: Colorado

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm

That's actually quite reassuring that your 2012 still has that much battery capacity left. Nice to hear how local Leaf's have fared. I can hold out hope that my 2015 battery capacity does even better I suppose. I have yet to do any Denver trips in winter but really want to try out the Arapahoe quickcharge now that it seems stable.

How did your trip back from DIA go? The return trip from Denver in winter (even mild winter days) is what has me scared to try.

I still get no worse that 65 miles effective range. My normal commute is only 27mi but occasionally I do double that in snow and cold and still manage on no more than 73% battery. I use heat on lowest manual setting and eco (if at all) which is enough to take the chill out of the car and keep the windows defrosted without killing range.
2015 Leaf S with QC, purchased July '14
35000mi as of August-17, 92% SOH
7kw Solar

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:20 am

Nfuzzy wrote:That's actually quite reassuring that your 2012 still has that much battery capacity left. Nice to hear how local Leaf's have fared. I can hold out hope that my 2015 battery capacity does even better I suppose. I have yet to do any Denver trips in winter but really want to try out the Arapahoe quickcharge now that it seems stable.

How did your trip back from DIA go? The return trip from Denver in winter (even mild winter days) is what has me scared to try.

I still get no worse that 65 miles effective range. My normal commute is only 27mi but occasionally I do double that in snow and cold and still manage on no more than 73% battery. I use heat on lowest manual setting and eco (if at all) which is enough to take the chill out of the car and keep the windows defrosted without killing range.
So, to answer the question, the return trip went fine. I stopped by Arapahoe Nissan and got a quick charge. Minimal heater use and hypermiling got me home. Of course, the trips takes a lot longer for those reasons, so it's not for everyone. If the QC was down my backup plan was to get to Castle Rock and do a two-hour L2 top-off at Walgreen's while using the WiFi at the next door Panera. (Plan C would have been the Castle Rock L2 chargers at the hospital. Plan D would have been call family to pick me up in Castle Rock. After a while with any non-Tesla EV you learn that long journeys require multiple contingency plans for charging.)

Nissan is completely silent on any changes they've made to the battery over time except to say that 2015s have the heat resistant battery. However, metrics collected here and elsewhere suggest that the battery changed in 2013 and it performs and lasts better than the previous one. I would be very surprised if your 2015 doesn't retain battery capacity much better than our 2012 has done. However, our 2012 is probably doing better than most LEAFs of a similar age in Denver because we live in a cooler location (about 10F lower temperatures on average than Denver), and for 2012 LEAFs heat was the biggest factor in battery degradation.

Another advantage your 2015 has is the ability to leave climate control on while turning off the resistance heater. This was introduced as a feature in 2013 and reduces the amount of heater time you need for defrosting.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 am

cgaydos wrote:This will have to be our last winter with two pre-2013 LEAFs due to the range limitations in winter. I'll be turning in the leased (currently on a lease extension) 2012 LEAF by the end of 2015 to get the better battery and range.
I may have to re-think this. Renault/Nissan today confirmed rumors that the 2017 will have nearly double the range. Depending on when the 2017 will be available it may be worth extending the 2012 a little longer than planned.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 am

cgaydos wrote:
cgaydos wrote:This will have to be our last winter with two pre-2013 LEAFs due to the range limitations in winter. I'll be turning in the leased (currently on a lease extension) 2012 LEAF by the end of 2015 to get the better battery and range.
I may have to re-think this. Renault/Nissan today confirmed rumors that the 2017 will have nearly double the range...
No, Renault/Nissan did not, at least not in the link you posted, which itself is a regurgitation of this story using anonymous sources, and full of indefinite terms (google translation) such as "aim", "expected" and "approaching".

http://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-servic ... 086627.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

ClevelandDiver
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:27 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 302407

Re: How much mileage are you getting in this cold weather ?

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 am

On highway drives at 60-65mph in temps ranging from 10-25 degrees, I have a realistic range of about 55 miles if I use the heater very sparingly in my 2015 S. I have yet to experience warm weather driving with my leaf, as I leased it November of 2014 in Cleveland. Curious to see how it will do in the spring.

Return to “Mountain USA”