manitou820
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2013

Colorado Springs to Denver

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Over Thanksgiving I drove from Colorado Springs (actually Manitou Springs) to just northeast of city park in Denver. It was about 45F out during my drive but I was conservative with the heat. I drove on 105 and 85 (west of I-25) to avoid driving slow on I-25. It added extra miles but I was able to cruise at 55mph most of the way. It actually worked out well because I avoided all of the holiday traffic. I stopped at Larry Miller Nissan to walk my dog and charge for 30min just in case. I made the trip (86mi) with 31% remaining, however I added about 9% at Larry Miller Nissan. So the reality is I could have done it on about 80% of the battery.

On the way home I drove I-25 to Castle Rock, and then took the Frontage Road to Palmer Lake then to Monument and then I-25 back home. I didn't stop to charge and I got home with 14% remaining after driving 76mi. I was going 70mph most of the way to Castle Rock and then from Monument into Colorado Springs. There were three options for charging on the way back just in case; the Walgreens in Castle Rock and in Monument, and the Woodmen Nissan on the north side of Colorado Springs.

Felt pretty cool to do this drive on all electric.

sbccsb
Delivery Date: 06 Nov 2012

Re: Colorado Springs to Denver

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Very cool - so where did you charge in Denver? You said you stopped at Larry Miller but only for 30 minutes.

Have made the trip from Denver to the Springs when we bought the car, but have not tried to go back up to Denver yet. Waiting for the L3 chargers...

greengate
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 pm

sbccsb wrote:Very cool - so where did you charge in Denver? You said you stopped at Larry Miller but only for 30 minutes.

Have made the trip from Denver to the Springs when we bought the car, but have not tried to go back up to Denver yet. Waiting for the L3 chargers...
Good on Larry Miller Nissan for allowing you to pickup a charge!! (Not like M'Lady Nissan in Crystal Lake, IL whose policy is, "If you didn't buy it here, you can't charge it here," per an earlier posting about M'Lady Nissan.)

manitou820
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2013

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:53 pm

While in Denver I trickled charged at my brother-in-laws house. Paid him in beer. :)

cgaydos
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:13 am

greengate wrote:
sbccsb wrote:Very cool - so where did you charge in Denver? You said you stopped at Larry Miller but only for 30 minutes.

Good on Larry Miller Nissan for allowing you to pickup a charge!! (Not like M'Lady Nissan in Crystal Lake, IL whose policy is, "If you didn't buy it here, you can't charge it here," per an earlier posting about M'Lady Nissan.)
Yeah, Larry Miller is good about charging LEAFs that you didn't buy there - so are Arapahoe Nissan, Woodmen Nissan, and Colorado Springs Nissan.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

cgaydos
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:26 am

manitou820 wrote:Over Thanksgiving I drove from Colorado Springs (actually Manitou Springs) to just northeast of city park in Denver. It was about 45F out during my drive but I was conservative with the heat. I drove on 105 and 85 (west of I-25) to avoid driving slow on I-25. It added extra miles but I was able to cruise at 55mph most of the way. It actually worked out well because I avoided all of the holiday traffic. I stopped at Larry Miller Nissan to walk my dog and charge for 30min just in case. I made the trip (86mi) with 31% remaining, however I added about 9% at Larry Miller Nissan. So the reality is I could have done it on about 80% of the battery.

On the way home I drove I-25 to Castle Rock, and then took the Frontage Road to Palmer Lake then to Monument and then I-25 back home. I didn't stop to charge and I got home with 14% remaining after driving 76mi. I was going 70mph most of the way to Castle Rock and then from Monument into Colorado Springs. There were three options for charging on the way back just in case; the Walgreens in Castle Rock and in Monument, and the Woodmen Nissan on the north side of Colorado Springs.

Felt pretty cool to do this drive on all electric.
Welcome to the club! Not sure how I missed this post when it was first made - the trip you describe covers areas I've driven over many times.

So a few points:
1) Colorado Springs Utilities has two level 2 chargers on Mesa Road near Fillmore - great for a last minute top-up on your way home. One nice thing about these is that they are full 240V, unlike the slower 208V Aerovironment chargers at the Nissan dealers.
http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/11253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) Following up on the charger speed, the Walgreens chargers are faster than Nissan dealer chargers. If you haven't already I suggest you sign up for a SemaCharge RFID card so you can use them if needed. In addition to the two you mention there are two a bit south of Larry Miller. I know they cost $0.49/kWh, but to me the faster charge is worth it (also, those 4 Walgreens are all walking distance from restaurants and shops).

3) I-25 from Lincoln Ave to Monument Hill is a huge drain on the battery, to be sure - not only do you have all those hills and a net elevation climb of about 2200 ft, but the widely-flaunted 75 mph limit means you have to go faster than optimal just to keep up, especially when it gets down to 2 lanes after Castle Rock. You're right that US 85 helps - it's the railroad route and less hilly than I-25, and I've often done the frontage road to Larkspur then the side road to Palmer Lake if battery is low. Now that Arapahoe Nissan has a QC - plus two parking garages with QC in downtown Denver - making trips to Denver with the LEAF should be less time consuming.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

Nfuzzy
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 06333

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:35 pm

My first out of town trip with my 2015 Leaf S, loved it:

Just completed a trip from the north end of the springs (~Interquest) to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. 120 miles roundtrip. I took 1-25 both ways, keeping around 65-70 most of the way there, though I went as low as 60 up some hills and as fast as 81 coasting down others. Got there with 45% battery remaining! This was in the morning so there was no traffic and no need to run anything other then the vents a bit.

The way back I still kept close to 65 but slowed to 60 a bit more often on the steepest hills. Still got as high as 75 on the flats/downhills though less often. Even ran the AC half the trip and got home with 25% battery remaining. 5.0 mi/kWh there, 3.9 mi/kWh back. No traffic problems either way.
2015 Leaf S with QC, purchased July '14
35000mi as of August-17, 92% SOH
7kw Solar

AlanSqB
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 300613

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm still psyching myself up for a FoCo to the Springs trip. Will probably drive to Denver and work for the day there where we have good L2 and then should have no problem driving the rest of the way. Maybe go to the mall for food and a movie to get charged back up and then manage it with the trickle charger for driving around town. Going back, I would probably stop at one of the QC along 25 to refill for the trip home.

I go to the springs about once a month for a day and I'd love to use the Leaf for that trip instead of the SUV.
[s]2015 LEAF SV in Gunmetal Gray[/s] Returned 2/2018
"The only gas in this vehicle comes from the driver."
I drive a LEAF, it doesn't have Ludicrous or Insane mode. It only has Slightly Annoyed mode.

greengate
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2013

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:20 pm

All of this reminds me of the time..around 1986..when I had a propane car, a Morgan Plus 8, that had a range of around 225 miles. It came with a propane station directory and not unlike today all not all of the stations worked all the time, so I called ahead.

I talked to the owner of a station, seemingly the only one, that would be open and sell propane for vehicle use on a Sunday. He assured me everything would be fine. I show up at the station and the attendant won't put the propane in the car as he was not "certified" to do that. I think the certification didn't even extend to the duty of a bathroom attendant for that matter. I asked that he call his boss, informing him of my earlier conversation. Couldn't happen he said as his boss was out fishing and couldn't be reached.

At that moment I got creative and told him that I wouldn't like to be in either of their shoes as I was a cardiac surgeon scheduled for duty at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago and if anyone died because I couldn't be there at 6 in the morning on Monday, oh my. He'd be wise to put his liability carrier on notice right away..business as well as personal. That's when he somehow got in touch with his boss who told him to fill up my car.

I'm a lot older now then I was in 1986 and I don't want to have a repeat of that experience, so I stay fairly close to home for now..even though I have on one occasion returned with the low battery warning at 8% percent remaining. You will probably do the same when you too appreciate the sunsets as opposed to the sunrises!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nfuzzy
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 06333

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes, hopefully we get to a point where the charging stations are more numerous and more reliable. I can't believe the L3 at Arapahoe and I-25 seems to have been broken more than working. It would be a perfect pit stop to make C Springs to Boulder area possible for me with minimal hassle.

I know what you mean though greengate. I wouldn't do this as a daily commute as you're bound to get stuck in stop and go traffic or other problems sooner or later, but here are multiple L2's in castle rock and monument now if the trip hadn't gone as well as planned. Fun to stretch the car every once in a while but I won't be doing that trip often.

Oh, and that 25% is now the lowest I've gotten, but didn't even hit LBW.
2015 Leaf S with QC, purchased July '14
35000mi as of August-17, 92% SOH
7kw Solar

Return to “Mountain USA”