2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Re: Colorado Springs to Denver

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:39 pm

MikeinDenver wrote:What app is that?
Google Tracks.

I use it for hiking, skiing, driving, lots of stuff. It is useful for a lot of Colorado trails since it shows you where you have been, where you are, and of course speed/alt stats. Sometimes when going up a mountain you can get turned around on the way down so a quick glance at the map shows you are roughly going the right way to get to where you started which is nicer than hiking blind.

I find it to be pretty accurate. If you have ever done "The Incline" in Manitou Springs, you know of the false summit that crushes souls. The elevation map picked it up perfectly around 8100ft-8200ft.

And for comparison, this is a drive back I did in the Prius a couple weeks ago from Springs to Denver:

I doubt the Leaf would make it under those driving conditions. Prius still got 48mpg :)
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

Nfuzzy
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 06333

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 pm

So glad that Arapahoe L3 is back up and available after hours from the sound of it!? I hope it is reliable. I have never quickcharged yet. Heading to Westminster this weekend but coming back at night so I don't want to tempt fate and will take the ice.

The performing arts center L3 is just one space over from the L2s.

I am starting to plan a c springs to Breckenridge trip next summer... Seems easy enough with a quick charge at Arapahoe and a long enough stop at Idaho springs.
2015 Leaf S with QC, purchased July '14
35000mi as of August-17, 92% SOH
7kw Solar

cgaydos
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Nfuzzy wrote:So glad that Arapahoe L3 is back up and available after hours from the sound of it!? I hope it is reliable. I have never quickcharged yet. Heading to Westminster this weekend but coming back at night so I don't want to tempt fate and will take the ice.

The performing arts center L3 is just one space over from the L2s.

I am starting to plan a c springs to Breckenridge trip next summer... Seems easy enough with a quick charge at Arapahoe and a long enough stop at Idaho springs.
I've found the most reliable L3 is in the parking garage next to the Denver Art Museum/Cultural Center. They close at 10 pm so watch for that at night. The charge is usually $1 for the first hour but some nights they do a $5 flat charge for an event. It's on the way back from Westminster and with a full charge I can get the 48 miles to Monument Hill in my 10% degraded 2012 battery with some hypermiling (the 2200 foot elevation climb, with the extra climb at Castle Pines, is a battery sink).

The Arapahoe L3 has been back up and running for a few weeks, but check the comments on Plugshare to get the latest info. If open they'll move any cars that are blocking it for you. If not you may find cars blocking the way, although usually you can drive around to the back of the L3 and plug in. Occasionally someone else may be using the charger.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

cgaydos

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:38 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:Next trip is the airport! COS to DIA
Your best bet is Canopy parking. Print the discount coupon from E470 tollway's web site and it's something like $15/day for valet, where you are guaranteed a charge. The only problem is that they now have QCs and of course prefer to put LEAFs on them since few other cars have the QC port. The QC stops at 80% on the older LEAFs and you have to call them and remind them to stop and start it to get the last 20%.

There are a few L1s in the garages at DIA (see Plugshare) but they get occupied fast - usually by Volts. I've been there at 5 am on Monday and gotten the last available spot.

2k1Toaster

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:33 pm

cgaydos wrote:
2k1Toaster wrote:Next trip is the airport! COS to DIA
Your best bet is Canopy parking. Print the discount coupon from E470 tollway's web site and it's something like $15/day for valet, where you are guaranteed a charge. The only problem is that they now have QCs and of course prefer to put LEAFs on them since few other cars have the QC port. The QC stops at 80% on the older LEAFs and you have to call them and remind them to stop and start it to get the last 20%.

There are a few L1s in the garages at DIA (see Plugshare) but they get occupied fast - usually by Volts. I've been there at 5 am on Monday and gotten the last available spot.
I don't take E470 because of the hassle of paying the toll and it has never been faster. I just go I-25 to I-225 to I-70 to DIA. I almost always drive the Prius and park in the designated hybrid spots next to the dedicated EV spots in the garage (usually East Garage). We fly almost every weekend and I find there is usually at least 1 open space. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a valet, but I have never done it so the "hassle" is so far completely imagined. $26/day isn't too bad. I don't think I will take the Leaf over the winter break time when it would occupy the spot for 3 weeks. DIA really needs an internal shuffle system for those chargers or just put more in. Even some outlets here and there would be nice. Anyone know if there are some outlets sprinkled throughout the garage?
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

cgaydos

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:32 am

2k1Toaster wrote:I don't take E470 because of the hassle of paying the toll and it has never been faster. I just go I-25 to I-225 to I-70 to DIA. I almost always drive the Prius and park in the designated hybrid spots next to the dedicated EV spots in the garage (usually East Garage). We fly almost every weekend and I find there is usually at least 1 open space. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a valet, but I have never done it so the "hassle" is so far completely imagined. $26/day isn't too bad. I don't think I will take the Leaf over the winter break time when it would occupy the spot for 3 weeks. DIA really needs an internal shuffle system for those chargers or just put more in. Even some outlets here and there would be nice. Anyone know if there are some outlets sprinkled throughout the garage?
First, you don't need to take E470 to get the coupon - just print it out (or have it on your smart phone) and you get the credit. And, yes, if you only go to DIA on weekends E470 isn't a better route.

The biggest hassle with Canopy is that you have to take a shuttle to/from DIA - and this is a factor (add 20 minutes each way on average) so all things being equal I prefer the DIA garage. But things aren't always equal, both in terms of cost and in terms of getting a full EV charge. The valet actually minimizes the hassle otherwise - you drive up, they take the car, and you get the priority pickup for the shuttle meaning you are the last stop when taking people to DIA and first stop when arriving back at parking. When you get back the shuttle driver radios ahead so your car is ready to go when you arrive. If you use the valet they'll charge the car when needed then park it elsewhere so for 3 weeks is fine - they'll even do an 80% charge to start then if you call to remind them they'll do the top-up a few hours before you arrive.

AFAIK there are electrical outlets somewhere in the DIA garage because the article which announced the L1 spots specifically mentioned that people were charging using the various outlets there. However, I've never seen one although I've looked a few times.

2k1Toaster

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:28 pm

cgaydos wrote:
First, you don't need to take E470 to get the coupon - just print it out (or have it on your smart phone) and you get the credit. And, yes, if you only go to DIA on weekends E470 isn't a better route.

The biggest hassle with Canopy is that you have to take a shuttle to/from DIA - and this is a factor (add 20 minutes each way on average) so all things being equal I prefer the DIA garage. But things aren't always equal, both in terms of cost and in terms of getting a full EV charge. The valet actually minimizes the hassle otherwise - you drive up, they take the car, and you get the priority pickup for the shuttle meaning you are the last stop when taking people to DIA and first stop when arriving back at parking. When you get back the shuttle driver radios ahead so your car is ready to go when you arrive. If you use the valet they'll charge the car when needed then park it elsewhere so for 3 weeks is fine - they'll even do an 80% charge to start then if you call to remind them they'll do the top-up a few hours before you arrive.

AFAIK there are electrical outlets somewhere in the DIA garage because the article which announced the L1 spots specifically mentioned that people were charging using the various outlets there. However, I've never seen one although I've looked a few times.
Great info on all accounts. Maybe tomorrow when I am at the airport (or more likely sunday when I am not supposed to be boarding a plane!) I can walk around and see if I can spot any of the outlets just hanging around. It might be a good backup for emergency situations. Make a little map of outlets...
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

2k1Toaster

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Well I took the Leaf up from COS to the Denver Airport, and it was fun. Re-affirmed my dislike for Volt owners too.

We drove to Arapahoe Nissan, did a quick L3 (from 32% to 85%) headed to the airport and got there with 30-somthing percent. Go the EV areas and every single spot was blocked by a Volt. None of them were even charging. Then there were 2 hybrid spots, 1 next to the charger, the other 2 spots down and a Volt just pulled in. I politely asked if he would mind moving 2 spots down to the other hybrid spot so I could use the L1 charger from the hybrid spot. Guy flat out said no. Couldn't be bothered to move his car over. So I just parked in a normal spot and got on my plane. Got back about 26 hours later and 2 volts had left, now occupied by a BMW (i3?) and a Tesla. And there were 4 other Teslas parked in that row but not at the spots.

Drove to Canopy, they charged me for free up to 58% when I asked them to stop since that was more than enough. Drove to Arapahoe Nissan again for another L3. There was a white Leaf parked at the L3 and it had stopped charging at 90%. I unplugged it, plugged it into the L2 that was there (it started charging up) and I left a note. Plugged me into the L3. Drove slowly on the way back. I am still not comfortable guessing the battery usage from DEN to COS on I-25. I am fairly certain I could not make it all at 75mph. Add to that the GF was cold, so we had the heat blasting the whole time. I just found a semi and drove behind it.
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

AlanSqB
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 300613

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:30 pm

After reading all the reviews on the airport EV spots, I will definitely go with Canopy when parking to fly going forward. I used them twice in my pre EV days and they are always nice and helpful. I just hate the wait on the bus when you get back, but they don't wait around as long as some.
[s]2015 LEAF SV in Gunmetal Gray[/s] Returned 2/2018
"The only gas in this vehicle comes from the driver."
I drive a LEAF, it doesn't have Ludicrous or Insane mode. It only has Slightly Annoyed mode.

2k1Toaster

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:37 pm

AlanSqB wrote:After reading all the reviews on the airport EV spots, I will definitely go with Canopy when parking to fly going forward. I used them twice in my pre EV days and they are always nice and helpful. I just hate the wait on the bus when you get back, but they don't wait around as long as some.
We are going to try Canopy some time this year. We have at least another 8 flights before the end of the year, so we will give them a go. With Canopy right there it is a good backup plan to the garage parking. But after having used it for the first time, I really want to support their business more. We just rarely have the time to wait for a bus. We were parked 45 minutes before our flight took off and got to the gate just as the first group was boarding 15 minutes later. I am sure the shuttle ride isn't too long but I wish they had valet service *at* the airport. Drive to the departure dropoff, hand them your keys, and walk inside. I would pay extra for that.
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

Return to “Mountain USA”