WMTribe90
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2013
Location: Louisville, CO

Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Anybody else who purchased a 2013 Leaf in Colorado still waiting on the state tax credit/refund?

Tax website says to wait till the end of this week and then call if you still haven't received your refund. Seems excessive to have to wait four months for a refund/credit.

Just curious if others are experiencing the same issue? We did wait till close to the tax deadline to file.

2k1Toaster
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:43 pm

WMTribe90 wrote:Anybody else who purchased a 2013 Leaf in Colorado still waiting on the state tax credit/refund?

Tax website says to wait till the end of this week and then call if you still haven't received your refund. Seems excessive to have to wait four months for a refund/credit.

Just curious if others are experiencing the same issue? We did wait till close to the tax deadline to file.
I did not wait until the last minute, I filed months before. I received the tax credit, altered slightly lower to just over $6K, within a week of filing. All done online. I did have to scan and send in PDFs of the purchase agreement of the vehicle and the registration card. But that too was done electronically on their website. Smooth as butter. Federal refund arrived even quicker with the full $7500, I believe in 3 days.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

WMTribe90
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2013
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:04 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:
WMTribe90 wrote:Anybody else who purchased a 2013 Leaf in Colorado still waiting on the state tax credit/refund?

Tax website says to wait till the end of this week and then call if you still haven't received your refund. Seems excessive to have to wait four months for a refund/credit.

Just curious if others are experiencing the same issue? We did wait till close to the tax deadline to file.
I did not wait until the last minute, I filed months before. I received the tax credit, altered slightly lower to just over $6K, within a week of filing. All done online. I did have to scan and send in PDFs of the purchase agreement of the vehicle and the registration card. But that too was done electronically on their website. Smooth as butter. Federal refund arrived even quicker with the full $7500, I believe in 3 days.
Yeah, we received the full federal credit within a week or two. We filed the CO return online as well. We check the status online and that's where it said to check back if you don't receive your refund by the end of the week. Unclear if we are just in a long line or have been singled out for scrutiny due to the innovative vehicle tax credit? Thanks for the response.

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I got the full credit on our 2011 LEAF, bought in 2013, in April about a month after filing. It was delayed because I forgot to provide the bill of sale and registration - once I submitted those the refund showed up quickly.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

WMTribe90
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2013
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Wife spoke with someone and they confirmed that we were put on hold because they needed the bill of sale and registration. That's fine, but when exactly were they planning to let us in on the secret?

We'll submit the documents tomorrow and should get the refund shortly thereafter.

Thanks again for the responses.

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:27 am

WMTribe90 wrote:Wife spoke with someone and they confirmed that we were put on hold because they needed the bill of sale and registration. That's fine, but when exactly were they planning to let us in on the secret?

We'll submit the documents tomorrow and should get the refund shortly thereafter.

Thanks again for the responses.
Odd. I got a letter from the Dept of Revenue about a month after filing telling me I was missing those documents. Then got an acknowledgement of receipt letter about 2 weeks later. Wonder if they have the right address for you?
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

WMTribe90
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2013
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Just o confirm, we did receive the full CO State Credit for our 2013 Leaf within a few weeks of submitting the additional docs. Again, not sure why we had to reach out first to find out why the hold-up. Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.

Given my commute and anticipated battery degradation, we should get another 5 to 7 years of use from the original battery, bringing the cost of ownership down to around $12,000 (or roughly $2,000/yr to drive a new car). At that point I'd gladly pay another $4,000 to $5,000 for a battery replacement for another 6 to 8 years in the car.

cgaydos
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 009493025635
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 am

WMTribe90 wrote:Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.
These days an L2 home charger usually goes in for under $1k (unless you need extra electrical work to support it), and the L2 can be amortized over more than one EV over time.

But, yes the Colorado tax credit is pretty special. I'm probably going to extend the lease (ends in November) on our 2012 LEAF, but I'm also considering buying a used 2013 or 2014 from a neighboring state and importing it for the 24% Colorado tax credit on used EVs brought into the state. For example, there is a 2013 SV premium with under 4k miles advertised in Iowa for about $19k and change - factor in bargaining to knock the price down but add in cost of shipping (maybe $600-700), then subtract $4k+ due to the Colorado tax credit and it's a real deal.
Red Leaf: 2012 SL, lease, acquired 21 November 2012
Blue Leaf: 2011 SL, purchase (new, was dealer demo), acquired 4 March 2013

MikeinDenver
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:40 am
Delivery Date: 03 May 2014
Leaf Number: 413923
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 pm

cgaydos wrote:
WMTribe90 wrote:Good news, between state and federal credits, fuel, and maintenance savings the actual cost to own our Leaf is down to about $18,000. No charging infrastructure cost, since I only charge using L1.
These days an L2 home charger usually goes in for under $1k (unless you need extra electrical work to support it), and the L2 can be amortized over more than one EV over time.

But, yes the Colorado tax credit is pretty special. I'm probably going to extend the lease (ends in November) on our 2012 LEAF, but I'm also considering buying a used 2013 or 2014 from a neighboring state and importing it for the 24% Colorado tax credit on used EVs brought into the state. For example, there is a 2013 SV premium with under 4k miles advertised in Iowa for about $19k and change - factor in bargaining to knock the price down but add in cost of shipping (maybe $600-700), then subtract $4k+ due to the Colorado tax credit and it's a real deal.
Or less. I put my 32A OpenEVSE one in for less than $450 including all hardware.
2013 SL

mtndrvr
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:37 am
Delivery Date: 10 May 2014
Leaf Number: 2630

Re: Colorado - 2013 Tax Credit

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:05 am

I am confused, are people filing their credit for EV separate from their annual income tax filing?

Return to “Mountain USA”