KJD wrote:I would like to hear your ideas on how we get more public charge stations in Utah ?
I dunno... but it seems like a chicken-and-egg dilemma. I mean, when gasoline vehicles first appeared, there were not a lot of gas stations either. And nobody wanted to start installing gas pumps until there were sufficient gasoline vehicles to make it worth the effort and expense. Similarly, even in EV-rich California they are still behind with the public charging infrastructure.
I do suspect, nonetheless, that the ultimate solution will lie more with private businesses than government. Yes, a bit of seed money from government will start the ball rolling, but when Wal-Mart, shopping malls, movie theaters, restaurants, motels, parking garages, even gas stations, etc., begin to realize that they could attract customers by also providing EVSEs... the infrastructure will quickly expand to "compete" in the marketplace. Then more people will purchase EVs, which will create more demand for public charging, which will cause more businesses to also install EVSEs, and the numbers of both chickens and eggs... will spiral upward.
For now...? We few early adopters can show others the advantages of EVs, and continue to encourage both government and private business to look to the future. In the interim... well, even Nissan's data to date show that 95% of charging takes place at home. The other 5%? Probably at work, and maybe once in a while at a friend's house using the L1 cord. The public infrastructure will come eventually, but the stats suggest that it is not as crucial as believed. I might be wrong, but nothing convinces potential customers more than actually seeing, touching, and driving an EV.