KJD
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15656

Re: Utah Public Charge Stations

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 pm

This is the latest word from the city. I got this yesterday ( 9/17/2014)
Hi Kyle,

I’ve heard that the issues we’re experiencing with our stations are not uncommon and others are waiting for a similar long-term fix with these units. We’ll continue to track the problem, and potential solutions, and I’ll be updating our SLCgov.com site once more details are available and/or the units are functioning:

http://www.slcgov.com/transportation/tr ... g-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Tyler
I think we need more phone calls to the city on this issue.
2012 SL Delivered 12/08/2011
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

nsps
Delivery Date: 21 Feb 2013

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 am

I still haven't heard back from the city on those two, but according to comments on Plugshare, the Ken Garff Nissan quick-charger is also down, meaning (I think) that there aren't any chargers in SLC proper. I'm glad I don't rely on these often, as there seem to be problems keeping them running.

KJD

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 am

This is the latest news I have from the mayors office. Does not sound good at all.
Hi Kyle,

I’ve been in contact with the Office of Sustainability regarding your inquiry and have been provided additional background and an update. This information I was given is as follows.

“ As you’ve conveyed, these fast-charge stations have been a frustrating experience thus far and we apologize for the inconveniences this has caused.

City staff has been in recurring dialogue with the station manufacturer since performance issues began to surface in early summer. Initially we attempted to resolve the issues with City staff and professional electricians, but were unable to do so. Most recently the manufacturer flew out two technicians to work on the equipment, but they were ultimately unable to fix the stations while onsite. We are awaiting a full report with potential pathways for resolution at this point.

We have involved project partners beyond the manufacturer, including Nissan and the state, in our attempts to get these stations working. Despite a high priority being assigned to this issue, it appears we are dealing with a hardware problem where the solution is not readily available at the moment. I have been told that these aren’t the only stations that have experienced performance issues.

The City will continue to seek a solution for these stations which are an important part of our clean air portfolio. Feel free to contact me at any point for updates. I’ll also add more background to the City’s EV charging page so others can stay informed on the issue.”

If you have further questions please contact
TYLER POULSON
Sustainability Program Manager
OFFICE 801.535.7259

KAYLA ADAMS on behalf of Mayor Becker
Administrative Assistant to the Office of the Mayor
Logistics Coordinator for Internship Program
OFFICE of the MAYOR
SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION
http://WWW.SLCGOV.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

nsps

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know they're working on it, even if nothing's getting resolved.

tcherniaev
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm

I've been in touch with Greenlots rep, and they are telling me they have parts on order, but it appears they don't really know what the issue is...

KJD

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 am

The city sent me this email today (10/10/2014) regarding the QC stations on 500 south.
An ABB technician visited the stations again earlier this week. One of the stations has an issue that ABB is aware of, but doesn’t have a fix for. They are working on a solution for stations impacted by this problem. In the meantime, we’ve shut-off power to this station (west-side unit).

The east-side station has one bad power module that has been disabled. This station should continue operating, but with a lower power flow than 20 kW.

Unfortunately, these issues appear to be part of a more widespread problem with this hardware. We will continue requesting a long-term solution, but it appears we’re dependent on a much larger set of issues being resolved. Feel free to call with any questions.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

KJD

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I got a message from SLC today that ABB has finally agreed to replace the 2 quick chargers on 500 south. No exact date has been set, but hopefully within the next month they will be replaced.
Sold 05/12/2015
2012 Tesla Model S 85

AlanSqB
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 300613

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:06 am

I really hope this extends to all the shoddy ABB chargers over here in CO also. I think that almost every ABB unit in the state is either out or not working correctly.
[s]2015 LEAF SV in Gunmetal Gray[/s] Returned 2/2018
"The only gas in this vehicle comes from the driver."
I drive a LEAF, it doesn't have Ludicrous or Insane mode. It only has Slightly Annoyed mode.

nsps

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:53 am

I'm curious: Were these the same models used on the coasts? It seems like that the upside of waiting so long to get any quick-charge stations would be that the technical kinks would be worked out by the time they made it to Utah. That doesn't seem to be the case. Have problems been so widespread in other areas?

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 am

nsps wrote:I'm curious: Were these the same models used on the coasts? It seems like that the upside of waiting so long to get any quick-charge stations would be that the technical kinks would be worked out by the time they made it to Utah. That doesn't seem to be the case. Have problems been so widespread in other areas?
http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seem to be most often used at Nissan dealers w/DC FCs. They're not particularly reliable either and require filter cleaning. Downtime for weeks at a time isn't uncommon.

http://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-co ... -fast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are common on California and they also seem down a lot, for whatever reason, sometimes one port not working, smashed screen or something else (broken connector?).

I hear http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/p ... charging_b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are common in WA's and OR's http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/el ... ighway.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I've heard but haven't confirmed that they're more reliable than the above and also that Aerovironment doesn't make them anymore.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Mountain USA”