Caltrans’ DCFC Stations on the Sierra Nevada’s East Side Online Soon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Caltrans’ District 9, which serves the east side of the Sierra Nevada mostly along the popular north-south tourist route of Highway 395, expects to have its DCFC stations in operation by early March 2021.

The long-awaited fast charging stations for non-Telsa EVs were originally scheduled for installation in mid 2019.

Until mid-2020 when Electrify America powered up two stations, the entire 330-mile route from Gardnerville to Mojave, California had no non-Tesla fast charging. There was only one Level 2 public charger on the East Side and that had been installed by public-spirited citizens in the small town of Lee Vining outside the east entrance to Yosemite National Park.

The pads and parking for the District 9 stations have been installed for several months with no further activity visible for some time.

RTEmagicC_East_Side_Charging_Desert-600x400_01.jpg.jpg

However, Caltrans District 9 says that electrical service to stations at Bishop, Coso Junction, and both rest areas in Boron have been installed.

Caltrans expects BTCPower to install the charging kiosks at these stations 16-19 February. After the state fire marshal has inspected the stations, they will be put into service, likely at the end of February or in early March.

The final station at Division Creek between Independence and Big Pine will follow a few weeks later.

RTEmagicC_East_Side_Now_No_Charging_Desert.JPG.jpg

Unlike the stations in California’s Central Valley, Caltrans District 9 stations will feature only one charging kiosk. District 6 in the San Joaquin Valley has installed two kiosks at each of its stations with the exception of the southbound rest area on I-5 in the Tejon Pass where they have installed four.

While the EV community has eagerly awaited District 9’s locations, experienced drivers have learned not to rely on single-kiosk stations. Arriving with a low state-of-charge to find the only dispenser available at a station does not work is an EV driver’s nightmare. Fortunately, the Highway 395 corridor now as several Electrify America stations with multiple charging kiosks, two other networks have or are installing kiosks on the south end of the route, and with Caltrans’ stations 30 to 60 miles apart, drivers should be able to find an operating charger before they run out of juice.

It’s likely that the District 9 charge stations will be free like those in the Central Valley. Each BTCPower kiosk will deliver about 43 kW to non-Tesla vehicles.

Tesla vehicles will be able to use Caltrans District 9’ dispensers with an adapter.

Paul Gipe

Excellent news. One at Coso should be OK as a backup to the EA next door.

But it would be nice to have backups at points like Lone Pine, Big Pine and Independence.

But if a DC Fast charger really does cost 70k plus I can see why businesses are not going to do it alone.

Dan,

I wondered that too but my sense is that it's for the handicapped so they can wheel behind the dispenser and operate it. The one at Kettleman City is like that with a wheelchair ramp next to it. ;)

BTW. The Caltrans stations at the Grapevine and Ketteleman City are getting a fair number of check ins.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan,

I wondered that too but my sense is that it's for the handicapped so they can wheel behind the dispenser and operate it. The one at Kettleman City is like that with a wheelchair ramp next to it. ;)

BTW. The Caltrans stations at the Grapevine and Ketteleman City are getting a fair number of check ins.

Paul

Hopefully the cords are long enough. If so, not a problem. Just was curious.

Division creek is too far but I can check Coso next weekend if it looks like it is up.

Sierra Nevada East Side Open More DCFC Stations on US 395

Caltrans' District 9 office has announced that five new DC Fast Charge stations for electric vehicles have gone live. District 9 serves Inyo, Mono and eastern Kern County on the east side of the Sierra Nevada.

The DCFC stations are located along US 395 that runs north and south through the Owens Valley, and Hwy 58 that runs east and west connecting Bakersfield in the Central Valley with Barstow on the Mojave Desert.

RTEmagicC_US-395.jpg.jpg

The single kiosk stations are located at safety rest areas on eastbound and westbound portions of Hwy 58 near Boron, California, an area made famous by the 20-mule team brand of borax that's mined nearby.

Caltrans also installed single kiosk stations at safety rest areas on US 395 at Coso Junction and Division Creek. Coso Junction is between Inyokern and Lone Pine. The Division Creek station is between Independence and Big Pine.

The Coso Junction station adds welcome redundancy to the four kiosk Electrify America station nearby. There's no charging--of any kind--within 30 miles to Inyokern or 70 miles to Division Creek. Even gasoline stations are few and far between.

RTEmagicC_owens-valley-desert.jpg.jpg

Caltrans has also installed a single kiosk at its District 9 office in Bishop. As at Coso Junction, there's also a four-kiosk EA station in Bishop.

Hwy 14 and US 395 provide access to winter skiing in the Sierras to Southern Californians as well as to outdoor recreation in the summer months.

Since the beginning of 2021 ChargePoint has opened a four-kiosk station in the desert town of Mojave, and a single station at the remote site of Brady's on Hwy 14. EV Connect has installed a single DCFC station at the airport in Mojave and another at the abandoned air terminal in Inyokern. EA has operated a four-kiosk station in Mojave for the past year.

Routes to the Eastern Sierra recreation centers, such as Mammoth Lakes, are now accessible to non-Tesla EVs. Previously, it was necessary to spend the night at hotel and charge on a Level 2 station to make the trip in a non-Telsa EV.

The stations in Inyokern also make Death Valley National Park accessible. The return trip still requires charging overnight in Death Valley.

paulgipe said:

Caltrans' District 9 office has announced that five new DC Fast Charge stations for electric vehicles have gone live. District 9 serves Inyo, Mono and eastern Kern County on the east side of the Sierra Nevada.

The stations in Inyokern also make Death Valley National Park accessible. The return trip still requires charging overnight in Death Valley.

Morning Paul

So what's next for my area and District 9 and the eastern sierra?

Seems like the long long long awaited chargers are all finally here.
Only thing I see close by as still pending is a private install near Boron at a Love's.

I certainly know where I'd like to see additional infrastructure:
395: Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine, Mammoth, Lee Vining, Topaz Lake
178: Isabella, Kernville, Ridgecrest, Searles Valley
58: Kramer Junction
190: DV NP Visitors Station, Furnace Creek

And that doesn't include interstates like I-40 to Flagstaff which needs a lot more, such as Ludlow, Seligman, as well as redundancy.

I would also like to start seeing 100 kW as minimum for highway / freeway routes, though even higher would be better.

danrjones said:
paulgipe said:

Morning Paul

So what's next for my area and District 9 and the eastern sierra?

Seems like the long long long awaited chargers are all finally here.
Only thing I see close by as still pending is a private install near Boron at a Love's.

I certainly know where I'd like to see additional infrastructure:
395: Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine, Mammoth, Lee Vining, Topaz Lake
178: Isabella, Kernville, Ridgecrest, Searles Valley
58: Kramer Junction
190: DV NP Visitors Station, Furnace Creek

And that doesn't include interstates like I-40 to Flagstaff which needs a lot more, such as Ludlow, Seligman, as well as redundancy.

I would also like to start seeing 100 kW as minimum for highway / freeway routes, though even higher would be better.
Dan,

I'll copy this and send it to Linda Urata at Kern COG and Robert at Project Clean Air. They have a program for East Kern.

My interest at the moment is Level 2 for Ridgecrest and more for Kernville-Isabella. We'd like to overnight at Ridgecrest and then reach some of our destinations on the East Side. It's doable as a day trip from Bakersfield but it's a push for us. Without the Level 2s we have to spend too much time at Brady's or Inyokern, both not great for spending time charging. ;)

I've also been stirring up the DCFC need for Kernville-Isabella.

Send me a private email and I'll fill you in. pgipe at igc.org

But yeah, we need redundancy. A single kiosk at Brady's and a single at the airport is just not good enough. Light years from where we were but nowhere near good enough.

Mammoth seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Paul

Back