danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Re: Update on CEC DCFC Stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern, Calfornia

paulgipe wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:34 pm Thanks Dan for driving out and confirming it's there. I saw that Rivian check in. So it's real, that is Rivian is real.
Paul
I emailed Linda, no response yet. I dug through the CA CEC site and couldn't find any new addendums or documents relating to this project since Ver 5, and that was awhile back.

I did find a state park study and it looked good - as in, they were very happy with the usage of Lvl 2 chargers in a select few state parks. I'd love to see that expanded! Including forest service trail heads, though obviously that isn't state controlled. Logistics on that would be difficult though. Actually that's an interesting dilemma - do you add a bunch of tech and 1st world devices (solar, battery, chargers) at forest service parking lots, or do you leave them pristine and more like wilderness? I can understand both sides of that.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Rivian and the NPS are adding two Level 2 stations in Toulumne Meadows according to Electrek. I assume one would be at the cafe and the other at the Lodge. Of course two could end up at the lodge. Here's hoping that the lodge opens this year. ;)

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
http://www.wind-works.org
paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
http://www.wind-works.org
danrjones

Paul

I never did get a reply from Linda. Bummer.

I had to take my leaf down for service last Friday, and super thankful for the Charge Point chargers along the route. It was cold and windy and I needed a lot of charge in my Leaf to get back from Palmdale.

I used the Charge point in Palmdale near the Best Buy/Panda Express, and had to stop again and use the charge point chargers at Denny's in Mojave. My Leaf started to thermally throttle so it took a bit longer, but otherwise, those are great. Hard to believe it but even though I started the day with an ice cold battery, w/o any thermal management, by the time I was ending the day the battery in my Leaf was too hot and throttled. But that's a different issue for a different discussion. (I've been trying to sell my wife on trading in for the Ioniq 5, but she doesn't like it.... )

There are also EA chargers in Mojave, but I went with the charge point so I could get something to eat, and I have been having great luck with Charge point. With their app I haven't had a single issue; I plug in, open the App and hit start. Recently Charge point has been the most reliable, for me, and is my go-to.

Now the one issue I did have is in Palmdale, there are only two DC fast chargers at that location. Need more, as I had to wait a few minutes. Eventually need a LOT more.

I was hoping Linda would tell me great news that Charge point chargers were on their way in more areas, like Kernville. No response. I know its outside Kern but I'd love to see stations in Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, Big Pine and Mammoth. The EAs work OK if you have a longer range vehicle on a road trip, but what if you want to explore the Eastern Sierra? A few 62.5 or 100 kW chargers in each city along the East side would go a long way to help. I love driving the canyons.
danrjones

Rumor has it that FINALLY the fast charger here in Ridgecrest is under construction. It will be at Desert Valley Credit Union. Not exactly the best location in town for a charger, but the credit union is doing it in conjunction with a solar project. It was supposed to be installed last year but red tape & ADA issues caused delays.

If memory serves me right, it will be a charge point charger capable of about 62 kW.

Return to “Pacific USA”