DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Re: Horrible experience with Aerovironment EV charging netwo

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:18 pm

The one nice thing is that you can sign up and cancel freely without any extra fees. They only charge the sign-up fee if you don't already have an RFID tag. For example, my wife and I went to Seaside one weekend and Lincoln City three weeks later, this allowed me to only have to pay for a single subscription ($20). Saved quite a bit by doing that...
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

garylai
Delivery Date: 08 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1826

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:40 pm

DarkStar wrote:The one nice thing is that you can sign up and cancel freely without any extra fees. They only charge the sign-up fee if you don't already have an RFID tag. For example, my wife and I went to Seaside one weekend and Lincoln City three weeks later, this allowed me to only have to pay for a single subscription ($20). Saved quite a bit by doing that...
That is quite good to know. I thought they might charge you the $15 setup fee every time you cancel and then reactivate your account. If this is the case then I just might sign up for an unlimited subscription during the summer which is when I tend to drive the Leaf long distance.

I got a response to Aerovironment a few minutes ago. It's not a full explanation I was after, but at least they have acknowledged that they had a problem.

"Hi Gary,

I apologize in regards to our service this weekend. I glitch in our phone system caused our calls not to come through.

Your information is a value to us and I have forwarded to our key departments.

We have restored access and working with our vendor on future solutions.

Thanks again for your input,

George M Jurado
AeroVironment, Inc.
Customer Service Technician
Efficient Energy Systems"
2011 Nissan Leaf SL
As of 21 September 2014: 43,488 miles
Lifetime miles/kWh: 4.5
Remaining Battery Capacity: 55.8 AHr (85%)
4.4 kW PV array @ home generating 4,200 kWh/year

padamson1
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9240

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 pm

garylai wrote:
padamson1 wrote:Not sure where you got your information but they most certainly do have pay-as-you-go or at least their website says so and it works for me. They call it "pay per session" (2/3 of the way down on the left side of their home page http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/s ... er_network).
padamson: You are mistaken. If you are not a subscriber, then to pay per session you MUST call Aerovironment every time you want to use a charger to read your credit card information. The FOB does not work. It even says so in the web page you quoted:
But the fob has worked both times for me, without calling them, including a few months ago. Maybe b/c I enrolled when the system first came out? Weird.

I just assumed that's the way it worked for everybody else. I guess there is a bug in their billing system, but I will not be complaining anytime soon about my apparently enhanced keyfob...
garylai wrote:I have otherwise have had a positive experience with Aerovironment, but I think reasonable people can agree that if you force non-subscribers to call to use a charger and then you don't answer the phones, that is a problem.
I wholeheartedly agree. It is totally bogus that they give out what is basically a ID card and it doesn't work unless I waste money on a subscription.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

padamson1 wrote:But the fob has worked both times for me, without calling them, including a few months ago. Maybe b/c I enrolled when the system first came out? Weird.

I just assumed that's the way it worked for everybody else. I guess there is a bug in their billing system, but I will not be complaining anytime soon about my apparently enhanced keyfob...
I've had a fob since the first station went in (back when there were no fees). Once they flipped to a payment system, my fob stopped working as expected. Someone is paying $20 per month for your fob to be active... You might want to log into their website and double-check your fob status.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

pkulak
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am

garylai wrote:That is quite good to know. I thought they might charge you the $15 setup fee every time you cancel and then reactivate your account. If this is the case then I just might sign up for an unlimited subscription during the summer which is when I tend to drive the Leaf long distance.
I think the intention was always to have a $15 setup fee so that you have to keep it active long term. However, I have also canceled and re-enrolled, but never been charged the $15. I remember when they first switched to non-free, they ran a promotion saying that if you signed up (with your existing fob), in the first month, they would waive the $15. Looks like they just never ended that promotion. They may at some point, though.

ColumbiaRiverGorge
Delivery Date: 06 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4992

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:26 am

I use one of three different AV quick chargers almost on a daily basis. Sometimes I have to call them to reset a QC because it won't start, but I can always get them on the phone within a few minutes. Sorry that the OP had such a bad experience but that is not the norm for AV response. Too bad you can't load a specific amount of money onto an account which doesn't expire.
VEGAN & 2011 LEAF Tesla M3 reserved.

Mrelectric
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2014

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:00 am

Aerovironment has long been a company that survives on government grants. They don't need to have a traditional customer service department or to make the public happy. I doubt anyone there gives a crap if the charge station payment system is user friendly or not.

garylai

Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Mrelectric wrote:Aerovironment has long been a company that survives on government grants. They don't need to have a traditional customer service department or to make the public happy. I doubt anyone there gives a crap if the charge station payment system is user friendly or not.
I partially blame Washington and Oregon DOT. They funded the creation of the system and the first two years of operation. Then they just vanished, and left Aerovironment completely on its own. When Aerovironment came out with this ridiculous scheme that you have to call every time you want to use a charger unless you are an unlimited subscriber, I contacted Washington DOT and they basically said there is nothing they can do about this one except forward my feedback to Aerovironment. You would think that Washington DOT could enforce some basic standard to continue to encourage useage of the system. I also get the sense that Aerovironment really doesn't care that much.
2011 Nissan Leaf SL

garylai

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:39 pm

DarkStar wrote:The one nice thing is that you can sign up and cancel freely without any extra fees. They only charge the sign-up fee if you don't already have an RFID tag. For example, my wife and I went to Seaside one weekend and Lincoln City three weeks later, this allowed me to only have to pay for a single subscription ($20). Saved quite a bit by doing that...
I emailed Aerovironment about this very issue, and they confirmed what you said - that if you have an existing FOB, you do not need to pay the account setup fee, and you can freely activate and cancel your membership for just the months that you intend to use it without incurring any additional setup fees. So this is what I'll probably do.

"If you already have a key fob then you will just need to activate the monthly service $19.99 month then cancel when needed. There is no cancellation fee and the only time you will need to pay the $15.00 is when you loose the key fob. We have a few customer using he key fob activating the key fob on the months needed then canceling.

I hope this information is helpful.

George Jurado
AeroVironment, Inc.
Customer Service Technician
Efficient Energy Systems"
2011 Nissan Leaf SL

Turnover
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:41 pm

The $20/month plan works well for me and the Burlington DCQC worked great for the rest of us that had fobs during your problem timeframe per PlugShare. I'm sure if the phone hadn't had problems you would have gotten your charge.

The AV network gets me to many places in Oregon and up to the Canadian border. I've met George Jurado and he is a fine hands on technician and now a great problem solver on the phone. I have a literal handful of cards and fobs to maneuver around Oregon, Washington, and BC, but the AV DCQC system is my reliable mainstay. I feel $20/month is well spent to keep a good system up and available for all of us. :)
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

Return to “Pacific USA”