paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Re: Trip Report: Bakersfield to Tehachapi, California

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:12 pm

HighDesertDriver wrote:
paulgipe wrote: Paul, you might check out the shorter route from Tehachapi to the AV on Willow Springs Road. It is close to the glider port and goes through the windmill farms, finishing up on 90th St W. The big advantage is that it is two-lane and you can safely go much slower than the posted speeds on 58 and 14. It still might not be enough, but excepting the initial short climb out of the Tehachapi Valley, it is pretty much downhill all the way. If it would help, you could stop at our home in west Palmdale for a 240V charge, at least enough to get you to the much faster DCQC at AV Nisssan.
Yes, I am familiar with that route. I used to live in Tehachapi and I work with wind energy so I've driven it many times. We plan to try that route in May to take in the symphony in LA.

Elsewhere on this forum I've noted that there's a L2 station going in at Tehachapi's city hall. It should be up this summer and there are two DCFC presumably going in on the Grapevine route.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

KeiJidosha
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:32 pm

paulgipe wrote:On February 15 we drove our Leaf to Tehachapi from Bakersfield, California...

...It was a gorgeous day and we took the time to watch the gliders taking off and landing.

...We put Mountain Valley RV Park on Plugshare. Jane and Larry Barrett would be happy to entertain more EV drivers crossing the Tehachapi Pass...
Nice write-up. I was considering getting my Glider rating at Mountain Valley Airport, but ended up going to Crystalaire in Llano, trying to hypermile the 78 miles (vs 115), and get a charge during the lesson. No charging available as it turns out in Liano, and L2 at Palmdale schools sites won’t activate without an LACUSD Chargepoint card. Ended up driving the C-Max after the first trip due to time issues. Good to know the RV Park in Tehachapi will host EV charging. Great tip going Willow Springs Rd (thanks HighDesertDriver). I may try Mountain Valley again.

Re charging for the grapevine, from the LA side, stopping at the Castaic Lake RV Park at the bottom of the hill lets you charge faster at the bottom of the climb (240V @ 32A vs 208 @ 24A), and leave room for regen descending from Lebec into Grapevine. Also note that the L2 at Kohl’s in Santa Clarita is off when the store is closed. DCQC at the bottom of the grades would fix all of this :)
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

paulgipe

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:
paulgipe wrote: Nice write-up. I was considering getting my Glider rating at Mountain Valley Airport, but ended up going to Crystalaire in Llano, trying to hypermile the 78 miles (vs 115), and get a charge during the lesson. No charging available as it turns out in Liano, and L2 at Palmdale schools sites won’t activate without an LACUSD Chargepoint card. Ended up driving the C-Max after the first trip due to time issues. Good to know the RV Park in Tehachapi will host EV charging. Great tip going Willow Springs Rd (thanks HighDesertDriver). I may try Mountain Valley again.

Re charging for the grapevine, from the LA side, stopping at the Castaic Lake RV Park at the bottom of the hill lets you charge faster at the bottom of the climb (240V @ 32A vs 208 @ 24A), and leave room for regen descending from Lebec into Grapevine. Also note that the L2 at Kohl’s in Santa Clarita is off when the store is closed. DCQC at the bottom of the grades would fix all of this :)
Thanks for the addition. Yes, a DCQC would fix the Grapevine. As I note elsewhere, Tehachapi is installing an L2 downtown and there's an L2 at the CHP in Mojave.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

paulgipe

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 pm

The Tehachapi City Hall L2 station has been completed. There are two J1772 ports as part of the CharePoint system. The city reports that the stations are currently free. I don't know if you need a fob or not. No one has used it yet but ChargePoint and the city say it is fully operational.

We'll try to get up there sometime to test it. I've put it up on plugshare.com.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

Return to “Pacific USA”