SoCal LEAF & EV Gatherings Y10, Suspended, 15 Mar 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Our Tenth Year of EV Gatherings is in progress here.

A link back to our Nineth Year thread:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26413

Our LEAF group has become an extended family, with some evolving
with the times, now arriving in other EVs, including Rav4EV, Tesla S,
Tesla X, Tesla 3, BMW i3, and occasionally Volt, Bolt, or others, and an iMev or Coda.
As with any good family, we welcome and enjoy this "growing up",
since it enriches the group, and provides us all with a better
perspective of the future. So, the LEAF title for the Gathering
evolved to "LEAF & EV" until we think of something better.

Join us for a Saturday morning breakfast buffet at Hometown Buffet, the Golden
Corral, or some other location (see below), ... or for some other special event.

Nominally, we Gather from about 8:00am until at least 11:00 AM, or noon, or even 1pm if there is enough interest. Some come
for just a while, but have to leave early because they have a "real" life. :D

I usually try to arrive by 8:00, and I am usually among the last to leave.
HTB opens for Breakfast at 8:00, and transitions to their Lunch menu between roughly 10:30 and 11:00.

Often, we LEAF/EV-Gather on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month, or the 1st and 3rd,
but that is occasionally modified to fit the holidays or other events in the month.
Occasionally we have Local Clusters for special events (**) at different locations.

NOTE: Typically, we alternate between the Golden Corral in the City of Industry early in the month, and the Hometown Buffet in Santa Ana later in the month (see addresses
way below).

NOTE: CAUTION: Due to the growing risk of CV-19 infection, our EV Gatherings at HTB & GC are suspended: no breakfast on 21 Mar at HTB, and NO Gatherings at GC or HTB in April or May 2020. Please stay wisely isolated.

------ 116th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #116a: Suspended: 4 Apr 2020 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #116b: Suspended: 18 Apr 2020 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 115th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #115a: 7 Mar 2020 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #115b: Suspended: 21 Mar 2020 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 114th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #114a: 8 Feb 2020 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #114b: 22 Feb 2020 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 113th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #113a: 4 Jan 2020 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #113b: 18 Jan 2020 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

Wednesday. Gap-Filler Dinner Gathering #113c: 29 Jan 2020 for Dinner at HTB in Santa Ana, at 3:30 pm (you must actually BUY your entry BEFORE 3:59 pm, to get in for their Lunch price). The weekday Dinner, with carved meats, starts at 4pm.

------ 112th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #112a: 7 Dec 2019

NOT at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
SPECIAL LUNCH POTLUCK at 11am
at Tom Bleakney's house, see posts.

Gathering #112b: 21 Dec 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 111th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #111a: 2 Nov 2019 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #111b: 16 Nov 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

Tuesday. Gap-Filler Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner Gathering #111c: 26 Nov 2019 for Dinner at HTB in Santa Ana, at 3:30 pm (you must actually BUY your entry BEFORE 3:59 pm, to get in for their Lunch price). The weekday Dinner, with carved meats, starts at 4pm.

------ 110th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #110a: 5 Oct 2019 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #110b: 19 Oct 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 109th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #109a: 7 Sep 2019 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #109b: 21 Sep 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

-----------------------------------------------------
Start of our 10th Year of Gatherings.
End of our 9th Year of Gatherings.
-----------------------------------------------------

------ 108th month Gatherings ------
Gathering #108a: 10 Aug 2019 at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
Gathering #108b: 24 Aug 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 107th month Gatherings ------
Tuesday. Gap-Filler Dinner Gathering #107c: 2 Jul 2019 for Dinner at HTB in Santa Ana, at 3:30 pm (you must actually BUY your entry BEFORE 3:59 pm, to get in for their Lunch price). The weekday Dinner, with carved meats, starts at 4pm.

Gathering #107a: 13 Jul 2019 at Golden

--------------- Links to Previous Years -------------

----- Nineth Year of Gatherings ------
See our Nineth Year thread:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26413

----- Eighth Year of Gatherings ------
See our Eighth Year thread:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=24445

----- Seventh Year of Gatherings ------
See our Seventh Year thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22460

----- Sixth Year of Gatherings ------
See our Sixth Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20453

----- Fifth Year of Gatherings ------
See our Fifth Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17823

----- Fourth Year of Gatherings ------
See our Fourth Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14125

------ Third Year of Gatherings ------
See our Third Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9695

------ Second Year of Gatherings ------
See our Second Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5418

------ First Year of Gatherings ------
See our First Year thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1148

------------ Locations -------------

Golden Corral in City of Industry
17635 Castleton St 
City of Industry, CA 91748
Phone: (626) 839-8188

This GC is located just South of the 60 freeway, 4 miles West of the 57 freeway,
about half way between the S. Azusa Ave exit on the West and the Fullerton Rd
exit on the East.  They open at 7:30 for breakfast on Saturday.

From south Orange County, go North on I-5, then North on 57,
and then about 4 miles West on the 60 freeway.

Hometown Buffet on 17th in Santa Ana:
Located just 2 blocks East of I-5 on 17th street in Santa Ana
1008 EAST 17TH STREET
SANTA ANA, CA 92701
Phone: (714) 541-3020
Their "breakfast" hours are from 8:00 until 11:00 (when "lunch" begins").
I usually plan to arrive about 8:00, and stay until at least 11:00.

------------- Misc ------------------
As always, Suggestions Welcome
Thanks everyone for your support and help.

Our next EV Gathering is the first of our 10th year of Gatherings, at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry one week from tomorrow, the 7th of September, 2019.

Easy to find, just South of the 60 freeway, about 4 miles West of the 57-60 interchange.

My profound thanks to all of my "extended family" who continue to make our Gatherings something for me to look forward to.

Most Sincerely, Gary

First reply on the new thread is a sad one. The thread linked to below reports that GlennD died recently. Some of us may remember him attending our meetings on occasion. He was generous with his knowledge of electronics.

Reported here- https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=566565#p566565

I just received and installed my new Fastrak sticker passive transponder, which upgrades my OC Tollroads account to full Fastrak, so I
am good to go for any toll road or bridge in the state. No monthly fee.

I will be at breakfast tomorrow.

garygid said:
Tom, how does one apply for / get the Fastrack sticker/responder?
With the sticker, they just Bill the fees to your credit card?

Gary, go to thetollroads.com
Click on Create Account.
You put your credit card on file.
They send you the smart passive sticker.
You place the sticker on your front windshield.

You now are enrolled in FasTrak, which is universal for all toll roads and bridges in CA.
Formerly there was a monthly charge for the Fastrak transponder, but with this passive
sticker technology, no monthly fee.

When you use a Toll road, they query your sticker and charge your card. You can track the
charges online on your account, which is now called Fastrak.

The sticker has no battery; it is powered very briefly by the inquiry RF pulse. Great technology.

Hi Folks,
This Saturday, Dec 7, I am hosting a Lunch at my house for any and all members of Gary's EV Breakfast club on
this thread.

TIME: The nominal times are 11 AM to 1:30 pm, but we could run longer.

LOCATION: I live in Claremont, not far from the Town exit of I-210. From Orange County, you would most likely take I-57 north, crossing I-10 and turning east on I-210. Please text me to my cell at 909.230.0342 for the actual address and or suggestions.

FOOD: I will provide vegetarian lasagna from a good local Italian market, and also a party tray of chicken tacos from Sprouts.

What to bring: We could use some salad and drinks. I have a selection of teas, but not much else. Perhaps someone could bring
cookies or a pie for dessert.

I look forward to seeing many of you and showing my remodeled great room that was completed last Spring.

Update: I have the chicken tacos and meatless lasagne all in place, ready to fix tomorrow morning. Spumoni ice cream and garlic bread
for those who want it. There will be plenty of food.
Rain is predicted to be light.

Gathering #112a: 7 Dec 2019

NOT at Golden Corral in City of Industry for breakfast.
SPECIAL 11am LUNCH POTLUCK at
Tom Bleakney's house, see post above.

Gathering #112b: 21 Dec 2019 at the HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana for breakfast.

My Bad.
I have forgotten to update the first post in this thread, but updated now. Tired Body and Brain, I guess ... What?

Our 3-week gap at the end of January takes us to the next EV Gathering on Feb 8th, 2020, at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry.

Punctuating the 3-week gap was an early dinner last night (Wed Jan 29, 2020) at the Hometown Buffet on 17th street in Santa Ana. Our group of three got some precious time to share some personal experiences.

Do you remember the wonderful singer Norma Zimmer?
She was one of my wife's favorite celebrities.

I Hope to see you one week from this coming Saturday. Cheers to all, Gary

Linda & I, with 4 others, ate at the Golden Corral in Downey on May 1st. Being a Sunday, and arriving at about 10:34 AM, the parking lot was overcrowded, the line to pay was moving very slowly, limited by groups waiting for tables to free up. So, it was jammed full, inside and out.

The good feature was the Tesla urban SuperChargers that are also located in the too-small parking lot. Linda reported that the restroom for females was clean, unlike at the restroom at "our" GC in the City of Industry.

Perhaps Sunday is (always?) a very crowded day in Downey, and perhaps earlier on a Saturday it is much better.

However, I estimate that the amount of parking at the Downey GC is less than a quarter of the parking available at the GC in the City of Industry.

I will investigate further, likely for breakfast at 8am on the 14th, and ... this coming Saturday, I will talk to the management at "our" GC about their woman's bathroom.

If Saturday is much better in Downey, we might try Gathering there every other month.

Hope to see you all on Saturday, 7 May, at "our" GC in the City of Industry.

91040 said:
Downey is too short a trip for me, no challenge.
It would have been on your old Leaf battery with now 4 or 5 KwH or remaining capacity! :lol:

2 or 3 CHAdeMO charges just to get there and back.

Report on 2-day, 1-night trip to Anza Borrego
Start: Claremont
Cabazon SC-150kW max, 15min top-off, a few new Urban chargers added
Rancho Mirage:
Hang out with friends
Visit Sunnylands, former Anneberg Estate that hosted presidents from Reagan to Obama
Rancho Mirage SC-72kW Urban, major charge,
while we dined at Acqua California Bistro
Successfully tested rule that if SC is less than 50% occupied, no idle fees accrue if you leave car plugged in after
completing its charge.
Indio SC-150kw max, 12 min top-off because no SC until next afternoon

Adventure getting to Borrego Springs through desert flash flood Thursday Mar 12.
primary road closed due to flooding
second road also had flooding, but with highway workers watching, I made it across.
never thought to raise variable suspension, which would have been wise
perhaps 9-11in deep, seemingly gentle running water across road.
Made it to my lodging at Borrego Valley Inn
clouds parted, got some good first night sky photos with new f1.4 24mm Sigma lens
photos of Orion show many more starts than I can see with naked eye
15 sec exposure on tripod with ASA 2000.
No charging available at any lodging in town
Room happened to be located close to parking near rear of room.
In morning I tried Quick220 with pair of outlets in room, and I scored 220V.
I set up cables out the back patio of room, over the wall, through the desert scrub to my car
Got 6 miles of charge while eating breakfast.
Took west route over mountains to Julian, well-paved 2-lane state highway
On mountain curves, car warned me several times to "take control" when I veered too close to
right edge of roadway to avoid oncoming traffic.
On straight stretches of this road, I used "Auto-steer" to keep me centered, but turned it off when opposing traffic approached
It would be better on such roads, I believe, to allocate 2/3 of lane margin to left side, 1/3 to right side, to increase margin
from on coming traffic.
Nice soup in Julian
Long road over to I-15, windy.
heavy rain and traffic on I-15 but felt safe with Auto-steer
Extra 70 miles of range in 2018MS allowed me to avoid crowds near Temecula SC
Arrived Manifee SC-150kW max with 20% margin
Charged 15 min at Menifee starting at 144kW.
Early dinner with friend at Rustic Fork in Riverside on Allessandro Blvd.
Onto home in early evening.

Nice report tbleakne.

Sounds like a fun trip with a bit of excitement/challenge/inconvenience thrown in.

Did you see any flowers in Borrego or is this season really a bust, as it seems.

Further SoCal EV Gatherings are Suspended!!!

NOTE: Due to the growing risk of CV-19 infection, our EV Gatherings at HTB & GC are suspended: no Gathering on 21 Mar at HTB, and no Gatherings in April or May.

Please stay wisely isolated. Hopefully we will all get through this virus situation successfully.

We will try to set up some video conferencing, possibly using Skype (but it might be limited to 3 or 4?) or using Facebook Messenger (which probably supports larger video conferences).

Suggestions for private meetings are welcome, but please consider well the risks.

Sincerely, Gary

Something fun to watch while you're on lock down. I was interviewed by Transport Evolved while at CES. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwAL8JUdW68

Is anyone interested in OpenEVSE parts? I have a Barbouri through hole version, and a v4 SMD board, along with an RGB display and some other odds and ends. No complete EVSE, no J1772 cables. Free, just paypal me actual shipping costs.

Back